5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
I know you said your truck is level at #6, but would you be willing to measure to give me an idea of where you’re riding from wheel center to bottom of fender? I still can’t understand how there can be such variation unless there is an install or product issue. The instructions note the need to “clock” the spring. I can’t see anything that looks off, so I’m wondering what are the consequences of not doing that? Presumably if the spring is not at the right spot it could ride high.
I will try to get a measurement for you soon. I know another common mistake is when taking the bottom spring seat off and transferring it to the new shock, that it often gets put on upside down, it has been done by mistake even by mechanics. Not sure if that would have any effect in height variation or not but it could be another thing to look at.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any chance you would be willing to take a measurement from the center of your wheel to the bottom of the front fender on your truck on setting #7. With my Big Horn having measured somewhere around 22” at the front and now is 25”+, I’m at a loss. Again, it’s on #6, not #7. The front is now 1.5” higher than the rear. That’s at least a 3” swing. I don’t understand what is going on.

As far as what is the right setting... the consensus seems to be #5 or #6. The way mine is setting right now, I’d tell you #4... and that still may be too much.

I will do another one for you later today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Thank you both! I had the same thought about the Bottom spring perch being upside down. Both appear correct.

Attachments

• 2294DCAF-D07F-4A23-BE82-28D715E3B54F.jpeg
    2294DCAF-D07F-4A23-BE82-28D715E3B54F.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 74F15377-A2A0-45E0-A6FB-95C20957D59D.jpeg
    74F15377-A2A0-45E0-A6FB-95C20957D59D.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 122

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Found these specs for 4th gens.....guessing they should be the same?

Chassis Torque Specs - credit goes to brandonjansen for this
(4th Gen RAM)

Shock Absorber Upper Nut --------------------------------------------------------------40 ft lbs
Shock Absorber Lower Bolt -------------------------------------------------------------100 ft lbs
Shock Tower to Frame -------------------------------------------------------------------55 ft lbs
Lower Ball Joint Nut Initial Torque------------------------------------------------------ 35 ft lbs
Lower Ball Joint Nut Final Torque ------------------------------------------------------148 ft lbs
Upper Ball Joint Nut -----------------------------------------------------------------------70 ft lbs
Lower Control Arm Frame Nuts --------------------------------------------------------200 ft lbs
Lower Control Arm Axle Nut------------------------------------------------------------ 200 ft lbs
Upper Control Arm Frame Nuts --------------------------------------------------------120 ft lbs
Upper Control Arm Axle Nut ------------------------------------------------------------120 ft lbs
Stabilizer Bar Frame Bolt ----------------------------------------------------------------45 ft lbs
Stabilizer Link Axle Bracket------------------------------------------------------------ 110 ft lbs
Stabilizer Link Stabilizer Bar Nut --------------------------------------------------------27 ft lbs
Stabilizer Link Axle Bracket (Power Wagon)------------------------------------------ 110 ft lbs
Stabilizer Bar Nut (Power Wagon) -----------------------------------------------------110 ft lbs
Hub/Bearing Bolts -----------------------------------------------------------------------149 ft lbs
Axle Nut - 132 ft lbs Beginning Torque, Then Rotate 5 to 10 ~ Times With a Final Torque of 263 ft lbs
Track Bar to Frame (2500/3500 4x4) -------------------------------------------------200 ft lbs
Track Bar to Axle (2500/3500 4x4) ----------------------------------------------------200 ft lbs
Tie Rod End Nut ---------------------------------------------------------------------------55 ft lbs
ABS Assembly Mounting Bolts -----------------------------------------------------------11 ft lbs
ABS Assembly ABM Screws -------------------------------------------------------------31 in lbs
ABS Assembly Brake Line Fittings -----------------------------------------------------170 in lbs
Dynamics Sensor--------------------------------------------------------------------------97 in lbs
Wheel Speed Sensors, Front Sensor Bolt ----------------------------------------------190 in lbs
Wheel Speed Sensors, Bracket To Knuckle ---------------------------------------------60 in lbs
Wheel Speed Sensors, Rear Sensor Stud--------------------------------------------- 200 in lbs
ABM Mounting Screws --------------------------------------------------------------------53 in lbs
RWAL Module Mounting Bolts ------------------------------------------------------------11 ft lbs
RWAL Valve Brake Line Fittings --------------------------------------------------------170 in lbs

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Found these specs for 4th gens.....guessing they should be the same?

Chassis Torque Specs - credit goes to brandonjansen for this
(4th Gen RAM)

Shock Absorber Upper Nut --------------------------------------------------------------40 ft lbs
Shock Absorber Lower Bolt -------------------------------------------------------------100 ft lbs
Shock Tower to Frame -------------------------------------------------------------------55 ft lbs
Lower Ball Joint Nut Initial Torque------------------------------------------------------ 35 ft lbs
Lower Ball Joint Nut Final Torque ------------------------------------------------------148 ft lbs
Upper Ball Joint Nut -----------------------------------------------------------------------70 ft lbs
Lower Control Arm Frame Nuts --------------------------------------------------------200 ft lbs
Lower Control Arm Axle Nut------------------------------------------------------------ 200 ft lbs
Upper Control Arm Frame Nuts --------------------------------------------------------120 ft lbs
Upper Control Arm Axle Nut ------------------------------------------------------------120 ft lbs
Stabilizer Bar Frame Bolt ----------------------------------------------------------------45 ft lbs
Stabilizer Link Axle Bracket------------------------------------------------------------ 110 ft lbs
Stabilizer Link Stabilizer Bar Nut --------------------------------------------------------27 ft lbs
Stabilizer Link Axle Bracket (Power Wagon)------------------------------------------ 110 ft lbs
Stabilizer Bar Nut (Power Wagon) -----------------------------------------------------110 ft lbs
Hub/Bearing Bolts -----------------------------------------------------------------------149 ft lbs
Axle Nut - 132 ft lbs Beginning Torque, Then Rotate 5 to 10 ~ Times With a Final Torque of 263 ft lbs
Track Bar to Frame (2500/3500 4x4) -------------------------------------------------200 ft lbs
Track Bar to Axle (2500/3500 4x4) ----------------------------------------------------200 ft lbs
Tie Rod End Nut ---------------------------------------------------------------------------55 ft lbs
ABS Assembly Mounting Bolts -----------------------------------------------------------11 ft lbs
ABS Assembly ABM Screws -------------------------------------------------------------31 in lbs
ABS Assembly Brake Line Fittings -----------------------------------------------------170 in lbs
Dynamics Sensor--------------------------------------------------------------------------97 in lbs
Wheel Speed Sensors, Front Sensor Bolt ----------------------------------------------190 in lbs
Wheel Speed Sensors, Bracket To Knuckle ---------------------------------------------60 in lbs
Wheel Speed Sensors, Rear Sensor Stud--------------------------------------------- 200 in lbs
ABM Mounting Screws --------------------------------------------------------------------53 in lbs
RWAL Module Mounting Bolts ------------------------------------------------------------11 ft lbs
RWAL Valve Brake Line Fittings --------------------------------------------------------170 in lbs
Reference the video link I posted. Those torque specs do not match the 5th gen install video I referenced. It was for a leveling kit but works the same for removal and reassembly, minus taking the strut apart and swapping everything over. I will say that the tuffcountry looks like a lot less steps doing it that way.

Last edited:

Hk45

Reaction score
Can I run 285/65r20 with 5100's or do I also need some type of spacer? My truck is non-orp. 4x4

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Just checked..39 7/8 front...41 1/8 rear
Crap. This creates more questions. Mine is about 40.25” in front on #6 and I have roughly 32.5” tires, vs your 34”? tires. I forgot the back measurement, but believe it’s just under 39”. Ugh. I can’t help but think something isn’t seated properly. Could sway bar or other linkage be bound up? None of that was loosened on install.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Crap. This creates more questions. Mine is about 40.25” in front on #6 and I have roughly 32.5” tires, vs your 34”? tires. I forgot the back measurement, but believe it’s just under 39”. Ugh. I can’t help but think something isn’t seated properly. Could sway bar or other linkage be bound up? None of that was loosened on install.
Sway bar should have been disconnected from LCA.

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Sorry the rear was 40 1/8 not 41 1/8...yeah my tires are a little over 34". By any chance did the mechanic "bounce" the front end before final torque down of LCA,UCA mounting bolts and sway bar bolts?. I know in the video I keep referencing it states to do so. I simply jacked it up(tires back on of course) and let it drop back down 2x per side. Not saying this would make a difference but im mentioning anything at this point that might help. The sway bar should have been disconnected on both sides to be able to rotate it up and out of the way, that way the LCA can be pushed down enough to remove/install the strut.

Last edited:

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Sorry the rear was 40 1/8 not 41 1/8...yeah my tires are a little over 34".
Ok, well... add 1-ish inch of tire ride height to mine and now we’re both about 40 at the back. But I’m about 1/2” higher in front with 1+” less tire. I cannot figure this out. and I may be wrong that he didn’t disconnect the sway bar. I just noticed there were some parts I expected to see broken loose that didn’t appear to be. As for dropping it with hardware not tight... I can’t say. If I had those sockets I’d do it myself, but that was part of the reason to just have someone else do it.

Last edited:

Kxlexus

Reaction score
If you will take your measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender directly above instead of from the ground you can get a measurement that is more universally helpful. Doing it this way eliminates the tire height variable. Just something to think about.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
Reference the video link I posted. He loosened the upper control arm mounting bolts but never said what to retighten em to Those torque specs do not match the 5th gen install video I referenced. It was for a leveling kit but works the same for removal and reassembly, minus taking the strut apart and swapping everything over. I will say that the tuffcountry looks like a lot less steps doing it that way.

Yep that’s what I referenced after all. So the first side is done. On to the passenger side now. I find it interesting that these no longer have a washer that goes on the 5100 and inside the dust boot. It doesn’t supply one nor reference in the manual. My 4th gen ram it was a major point of emphasis to have that washer installed properly. This one has no washer at all. Odd.

Last edited:

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Ok, well... add 1-ish inch of tire ride height to mine and now we’re both about 40 at the back. But I’m about 1/2” higher in front with 1+” less tire. I cannot figure this out.
If you will take your measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender directly above instead of from the ground you can get a measurement that is more universally helpful. Doing it this way eliminates the tire height variable. Just something to think about.

Thanks, yes I provided that too, but Bluelinebuild used ground up instead of hub. My front measurement is 25”. Rear is 23 1/2”. Near as I can tell the #6 lifted me a full 3”. I can’t seem to get any answers. I’m not a mechanic but have worked on driveline and suspension on my other vehicles in the past. I now seriously regret having it done by someone else. It makes trouble-shooting nearly impossible.

Mainah

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I provided that too, but Bluelinebuild used ground up instead of hub. My front measurement is 25”. Rear is 23 1/2”. Near as I can tell the #6 lifted me a full 3”. I can’t seem to get any answers. I’m not a mechanic but have worked on driveline and suspension on my other vehicles in the past. I now seriously regret having it done by someone else. It makes trouble-shooting nearly impossible.

Is there any chance they put the spring seat adapter on upside down? Mine are set on 5 (I have the ORP) and I can only see 4 settings vs your 6.

1585264573288.png

Attachments

• IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread