5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Just go back from a decent drive. First impression, the truck feels great, feels really planted while maintaining factory like comfort. No regrets here. Glad I put them on before the tires go on tomorrow. I am assumibg the yokohama MT will firm up the ride but at least I will know that its them and not the bilsteins!. More pics will follow tomorrow once the tires are installed.

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Looks great. I have 5100 fronts and rears, along with new Mopar UCAs all going on mine soon. I have a non-ORP truck too, so I’ve been planning #6 also. I still can’t decide if I’m going to try to get a bit of rake back in it with a 1” rear lift, so I’m just going to see how it looks when I’m done. It’s hard to tell in your pics, probably due to the black. Anyway, thanks for posting pics and the ride report!

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Looks great. I have 5100 fronts and rears, along with new Mopar UCAs all going on mine soon. I have a non-ORP truck too, so I’ve been planning #6 also. I still can’t decide if I’m going to try to get a bit of rake back in it with a 1” rear lift, so I’m just going to see how it looks when I’m done. It’s hard to tell in your pics, probably due to the black. Anyway, thanks for posting pics and the ride report!
No problem, I would say that their is a very slight rake so I have been debating the 1" rear lift myself but not sure if that requires the longer rear shock. My tires are being installed as we speak so I will have a few pics coming soon with those now on. I chose the #6 position due to not changing the UCAs or else I would have set them to #7 and did the rear spacer for sure. I dont think the #6 position will be to bad on the UCA joint with how little I actually offroad. Time will tell and if they do eventually fail I will replace them then with new UCAs to correct the angles.

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
No problem, I would say that their is a very slight rake so I have been debating the 1" rear lift myself but not sure if that requires the longer rear shock. My tires are being installed as we speak so I will have a few pics coming soon with those now on. I chose the #6 position due to not changing the UCAs or else I would have set them to #7 and did the rear spacer for sure. I dont think the #6 position will be to bad on the UCA joint with how little I actually offroad. Time will tell and if they do eventually fail I will replace them then with new UCAs to correct the angles.
From talking to a Bilstein rep/tech, you’ll be fine. They were designed to work with everything else being left stock. My ‘19 has 60k on it already. I have no way to compress the coils, so I figure adding $120 to the total expense (including shop) is worth the insurance, since I’ll likely own this truck at 180k.

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Update. Been at the shop for 4hrs now(quoted 1-1.5hrs). New tires mounted and they have spent 3 of the 4 hours so far on the alignment. They said the pressure from the added lift being put on the lower contol arm is making it difficult to align. Tech said it keeps pulling slightly to the right. With all the levels let alone 5100s installed I find it odd they are having such a hard time. This place specializes in lifting and selling lifted trucks so its not like its some random shop.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From talking to a Bilstein rep/tech, you’ll be fine. They were designed to work with everything else being left stock. My ‘19 has 60k on it already. I have no way to compress the coils, so I figure adding $120 to the total expense (including shop) is worth the insurance, since I’ll likely own this truck at 180k.

If you have an auto parts store nearby, they’ll rent you the spring compressor clamps free of charge. They’re a bit terrifying, but they work.

My Tacoma was a different construction, I was able to take the bolts off the top hat in place and lower the suspension to take the spring load out, and recompress the assembly back into place with a floor jack on the lower control arm. It looks like I may need to take the entire strut out as an assembly on the Ram.... is that true? Anyone have some install step/pics to share?

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
They finally managed to get everything aligned to spec 3.5hrs later and the new tires definitely firmed up the ride a little but nothing to bad. Here is how it sits now....
View attachment 50107 View attachment 50108
How's the ride/noise with the tires? I am having 5100's w/ the Readylift 3.5" kit installed soon, and i'm still unsure of tires. Gonna get 275/65's and was looking at the Geo MT, Milestar Patagonia MT, orif I don't get E-rated tires then the Nitto Terra Grappler SL's.....the only non E i have found in that size.

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
How's the ride/noise with the tires? I am having 5100's w/ the Readylift 3.5" kit installed soon, and i'm still unsure of tires. Gonna get 275/65's and was looking at the Geo MT, Milestar Patagonia MT, orif I don't get E-rated tires then the Nitto Terra Grappler SL's.....the only non E i have found in that size.
The ride is not bad in my opinion. The tires do have some road noise. I am not used to running MTs and have always run ATs so its hard for me to compare the Geo to any other MT in terms of road noise but I will say you can still hear them in the cab. I have not had a chance to take them on the highway yet to see if they tone down a bit at higher speeds but Yokohama claims they produce less road noise then the competition. I got these from a member for such a great price that I could not pass them up but to be honest if I had to pay full price I think I would have went AT for better ride and less road noise considering im on pavement 95% of the time. But man do they look good..hahahaha

Another pic!
20200321_192622.jpg

Jp306

Reaction score
I have the north edition which has the 1 inch factory lift. I did the bills set at the 5th setting which is max on my set up along with the mopar lift uppers. I still have about half inch of rake. Still on stock tire but going to 275 65r 20 next week. First pic is stock 2nd with bills
Looks awesome! I have the North in white as well, and you have really helped me with my future level decisions!!
You find the Mopar uppers were sufficient for your total of 3" over a truck without the factory 1"?

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
The ride is not bad in my opinion. The tires do have some road noise. I am not used to running MTs and have always run ATs so its hard for me to compare the Geo to any other MT in terms of road noise but I will say you can still hear them in the cab. I have not had a chance to take them on the highway yet to see if they tone down a bit at higher speeds but Yokohama claims they produce less road noise then the competition. I got these from a member for such a great price that I could not pass them up but to be honest if I had to pay full price I think I would have went AT for better ride and less road noise considering im on pavement 95% of the time. But man do they look good..hahahaha

Another pic!
View attachment 50162
Looks great, we pretty much have the same truck. I think I gonna give the Geo's a try, if I don't like them, they have a 30 day return on them....then I'd go with the Terra Grapplers. I do want to give MT's a try, never ran them before either.
1584906846156.jpeg

NHjake98

Reaction score
Oh man.. Falcon released their shocks for the 5th gen Ram. I have the Bilsteins 5100's in the front and the Rebel shocks in the rear. I really do like the Falcon rear shocks and the adjustable features. I wonder how they compare. I wish you can buy just the rear shocks from Falcon instead of the set.

I just installed the Falcon shocks on my Ram Rebel. Coming from someone who had the Bilsteins on my F150, I can say that the Falcons ride sooooo much better. Firm but not as still as the Bilsteins.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just installed the Falcon shocks on my Ram Rebel. Coming from someone who had the Bilsteins on my F150, I can say that the Falcons ride sooooo much better. Firm but not as still as the Bilsteins.

I sure hope so, they’re about 4x the price!

All kidding aside, I ran Billy’s for 180k miles on my last truck and they served me pretty well. There aren’t a lot of options out there right now and the Falcons look pretty nice. Can you purchase only the fronts? I don’t really feel the need to hit all 4 corners with a brand new truck

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
If you have an auto parts store nearby, they’ll rent you the spring compressor clamps free of charge. They’re a bit terrifying, but they work.

My Tacoma was a different construction, I was able to take the bolts off the top hat in place and lower the suspension to take the spring load out, and recompress the assembly back into place with a floor jack on the lower control arm. It looks like I may need to take the entire strut out as an assembly on the Ram.... is that true? Anyone have some install step/pics to share?

You need to take the whole strut assembly out to replace it. I referenced this video for removal and intall and then obviously followed bilsteins install sheet for the rest. I wrote out step by step instructions based on what he was saying in the video that way I did not have to keep playing and pausing the video as I did the install, it was all written out. I even wrote down all bolt torque specs tools and socket sizes required so I was not wasting more time searching for sockets and wrenches etc.. It definitely saved me time and I recommend everyone tackling this at home to do the same. Unfortunately I discarded everything I wrote down but it can all be found in the linked video. Good luck!

Last edited:

th365thli

Reaction score
I have a quad cab bighorn. Can someone confirm that we will or will not need UCAs for setting 6 (2.2") on the bilsteins?

Also, does anyone have the part number for the ORP springs?

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
I have a quad cab bighorn. Can someone confirm that we will or will not need UCAs for setting 6 (2.2") on the bilsteins?

Also, does anyone have the part number for the ORP springs?

Per the Bilstein install it only states to not use setting #6 and #7 if you already have the ORP group. I assume like another member stated that these would be designed to work with the factory UCAs as long as you adhere to bilsteins advice on max clip position, but again that only seems to the ORP group. I am not saying that new UCAs wouldnt be beneficial in the long run but I dont think they are necessary unless you will be off roading a considerable amount.

th365thli

Reaction score
Per the Bilstein install it only states to not use setting #6 and #7 if you already have the ORP group. I assume like another member stated that these would be designed to work with the factory UCAs as long as you adhere to bilsteins advice on max clip position, but again that only seems to the ORP group. I am not saying that new UCAs wouldnt be beneficial in the long run but I dont think they are necessary unless you will be off roading a considerable amount.

Thanks for the response, I don't have the ORP. I'm debating doing a full lift or a level. Seeing as I don't really offroad anymore I might just do a level. Is there any considerable difference in ride quality between setting 5 and setting 6?

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I don't have the ORP. I'm debating doing a full lift or a level. Seeing as I don't really offroad anymore I might just do a level. Is there any considerable difference in ride quality between setting 5 and setting 6?
I highly doubt there would be much of a ride quality difference considering the ride height is only changed about .5" between those two settings. Mine set at #6 is perfect in terms of level/slight rake and rides great. Position #7 would probably put you nose high for sure.

th365thli

Reaction score
I highly doubt there would be much of a ride quality difference considering the ride height is only changed about .5" between those two settings. Mine set at #6 is perfect in terms of level/slight rake and rides great. Position #7 would probably put you nose high for sure.

Awesome man. Thanks for help, can't wait to put them on my truck. I think I'm also going to order the ready lift UCAs, just for peace of mind and in case I want to do a full 3.5/1.5 inch lift later

Dire Wolf

Reaction score
Looks awesome! I have the North in white as well, and you have really helped me with my future level decisions!!
You find the Mopar uppers were sufficient for your total of 3" over a truck without the factory 1"?

Based on your signature, you have the factory 1" because you have the North Edition. I have the same, went with setting #5 and OEM UCA angle looks fine. Dealership did the alignment and said it looked good.

Users who are viewing this thread