5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

cory1223oh

Reaction score
Thank you. Anyone have a recommendation for a spacer/puck to raise the back 1”? Brand? Website? Thanks.

Swapping the rear springs to the ORP should give you the same 1” lift over stock as adding a puck and would be my choice. They run about $100 or just over for the pair. Additionally, if you added the ORP springs in the front you could use a lower # spring perch to achieve the same lift. That would result in less preload on the spring and “potentially” a better ride. I’m going to install my 5100’s this weekend on my non ORP Laramie and will be going with the ORP spring in the front and bilsteins on #3 (1” lift from spring and 1” lift from bilstein). Plan to leave the rear stock height but swap the shocks to 5100’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Swapping the rear springs to the ORP should give you the same 1” lift over stock as adding a puck and would be my choice. They run about $100 or just over for the pair. Additionally, if you added the ORP springs in the front you could use a lower # spring perch to achieve the same lift. That would result in less preload on the spring and “potentially” a better ride. I’m going to install my 5100’s this weekend on my non ORP Laramie and will be going with the ORP spring in the front and bilsteins on #3 (1” lift from spring and 1” lift from bilstein). Plan to leave the rear stock height but swap the shocks to 5100’s.

Pre-load would be the same to obtain the same amount of lift. It's all physics, weight of the truck pushing down has to be counter acted by the spring force pushing up. The longer ORP spring already starts with a higher pre-load when placed at the same clip position as a stock spring. Because the distance from spring seat to seat is the same the longer ORP spring has be to be compressed more resulting in an initial higher pre-load which is how the ORP and rebel obtain their 1" lift from the factory.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pre-load would be the same to obtain the same amount of lift. It's all physics, weight of the truck pushing down has to be counter acted by the spring force pushing up. The longer ORP spring already starts with a higher pre-load when placed at the same clip position as a stock spring. Because the distance from spring seat to seat is the same the longer ORP spring has be to be compressed more resulting in an initial higher pre-load which is how the ORP and rebel obtain their 1" lift from the factory.

Something that hasn’t been clear as I’ve researched the ORP springs (which I also have), is whether the spring is higher Spring constant or simply taller but the same rate. Either way, it seems you should be able to set the height on the 5100 to a lower setting with ORP to achieve 2.5” compared to a non-ORP on #5. 1” is already due to coil difference. That obviously won’t level the truck, leveling would require #5 with ORP, but those driveline angles will suffer.

Another thing that’s unclear is whether the Mopar UCAs have a different ball angle or not. I’m reading a lot of people saying after a 2.5” lift their alignment could still be obtained and the UCA “looks okay” without the Mopar UCA, but that doesn’t mean the ball joint isn’t in danger due to the new angle. With the cost of Mopar UCAs being so low, I’d be in favor of swapping them in along with the lift if they actually improve ball angle to the cup.

I blew thru UCA ball joints pretty regularly on my Tacoma with 2.5” lift.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something that hasn’t been clear as I’ve researched the ORP springs (which I also have), is whether the spring is higher Spring constant or simply taller but the same rate. Either way, it seems you should be able to set the height on the 5100 to a lower setting with ORP to achieve 2.5” compared to a non-ORP on #5. 1” is already due to coil difference. That obviously won’t level the truck, leveling would require #5 with ORP, but those driveline angles will suffer.

Another thing that’s unclear is whether the Mopar UCAs have a different ball angle or not. I’m reading a lot of people saying after a 2.5” lift their alignment could still be obtained and the UCA “looks okay” without the Mopar UCA, but that doesn’t mean the ball joint isn’t in danger due to the new angle. With the cost of Mopar UCAs being so low, I’d be in favor of swapping them in along with the lift if they actually improve ball angle to the cup.

I blew thru UCA ball joints pretty regularly on my Tacoma with 2.5” lift.
I think the ORP spring is the same rate just a bit longer, There is a post by someone that swapped out their rear springs for ORP and measured both and confirmed the ORP springs are about 1.25" longer for the rear which means the spring rate has to be the same or even slightly lower to obtain a 1" lift. My guess the same is true for the front but because of suspension geometry I'd guess the front springs are only about 5/8-3/4" longer in the front but the same rate. 5/8" difference in length at the spring would translate to about 1" of lift at the hub center.

I have both the Mopar lift UCA and my stock UCA sitting in the garage. The Mopar lift UCA have about 15 degrees more operating angle for the ball joint but the cup angle itself is the same as the stock arms. I've posted a picture of both of them side by side in one of these threads on here. IMO if you're going to level an ORP or go 3 - 3-1/2" of front lift get a set of ICON delta joint UCA's and you won't have to worry about UCA issues.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the ORP spring is the same rate just a bit longer, There is a post by someone that swapped out their rear springs for ORP and measured both and confirmed the ORP springs are about 1.25" longer for the rear which means the spring rate has to be the same or even slightly lower to obtain a 1" lift. My guess the same is true for the front but because of suspension geometry I'd guess the front springs are only about 5/8-3/4" longer in the front but the same rate. 5/8" difference in length at the spring would translate to about 1" of lift at the hub center.

I have both the Mopar lift UCA and my stock UCA sitting in the garage. The Mopar lift UCA have about 15 degrees more operating angle for the ball joint but the cup angle itself is the same as the stock arms. I've posted a picture of both of them side by side in one of these threads on here. IMO if you're going to level an ORP or go 3 - 3-1/2" of front lift get a set of ICON delta joint UCA's and you won't have to worry about UCA issues.

Thanks for that info, it’s extremely helpful

Z mann R2

Reaction score
So 2 questions:

1: Do I just order these 4th gen 5100’s for the front of my 2020 Rebel?

2: I want to add a 1” spacer to the rear as I actually like having rake on my truck....what’s a good rear spacer to get? Would these 1.5” ones be a bad idea on Rebels??

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lonestar21

Reaction score

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So 2 questions:

1: Do I just order these 4th gen 5100’s for the front of my 2020 Rebel?

2: I want to add a 1” spacer to the rear as I actually like having rake on my truck....what’s a good rear spacer to get? Would these 1.5” ones be a bad idea on Rebels??

Thanks!

If you want the rake and don’t need another 2.5” of lift, you can also elect to just set the 5100s at a lower height. Just depends how high you want/need to go.

Z mann R2

Reaction score

Kxlexus

Reaction score
The higher you place the circlip on the shock the more lift you get. You would not use the 2 highest (the ones that give the most lift) if you have the ORP

Z mann R2

Reaction score
The higher you place the circlip on the shock the more lift you get. You would not use the 2 highest (the ones that give the most lift) if you have the ORP
Do Rebels not have the ORP? Cuz user Pribilof in this thread said position 5 leveled his Rebel

cory1223oh

Reaction score
Do Rebels not have the ORP? Cuz user Pribilof in this thread said position 5 leveled his Rebel
The rebel is the same height as the ORP. He used #5 which provides 2" front lift for ORP and is the highest recommended setting. Positions #6 and #7 are the ones not recommended for ORP.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
The rebel is the same height as the ORP. He used #5 which provides 2" front lift for ORP and is the highest recommended setting. Positions #6 and #7 are the ones not recommended for ORP.
Ahhh ok. The pic looked like there was only 5 settings. Cool

cory1223oh

Reaction score
Here’s the install file. Page 2 shows the typical lift heights for ORP or not.

Attachments

• Bilstein 5100 Install.pdf
    287.8 KB · Views: 91

lowaired

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already asked. Anyone know if the billsteins are available for the limited trucks with the air leveling suspension? The shocks seem to be stand alone and not connected or wired to the air electronics system.? Any insight would be great ,thank you

cory1223oh

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already asked. Anyone know if the billsteins are available for the limited trucks with the air leveling suspension? The shocks seem to be stand alone and not connected or wired to the air electronics system.? Any insight would be great ,thank you

Bilstein’s website allows you to put in your vehicle. If you select limited, or if you select a lower trim level and select air suspension instead of coil it says there are no results. So I would assume they do not have a product available for air suspension trucks.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Ive read this entire thread and one thing that wasnt really touched on was warranty.
Will installing these on a ORP truck void my warranty if im only leveling the front 2"?

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive read this entire thread and one thing that wasnt really touched on was warranty.
Will installing these on a ORP truck void my warranty if im only leveling the front 2"?
I wouldnt worry about a leveling kit but just dont expect RAM to fix anything under warranty related to your front end suspension if something breaks

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Just finished my install. Took me just under 5 hours, taking my time. Set them at the #6 clip position. I cant report on ride quality just yet. New yokohama geolander MT 275/65/20 will be installed tomorrow. Any questions feel free to ask. 2019 bighorn bighorn 4x4, no ORP.
Before
20191005_170532.jpg
After
20200320_100134.jpg

Last edited:

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just finished my install. Took me just under 5 hours, taking my time. Set them at the #6 clip position. I cant report on ride quality just yet. New yokohama geolander MT 285/65/20 will be installed tomorrow. Any questions feel free to ask. 2019 bighorn bighorn 4x4, no ORP.
Before
View attachment 50001
After
View attachment 50002
looks great, nice picture of Fall vs Spring as well!

Users who are viewing this thread