5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should work. If you have non-ORP front springs then set the B5100s for setting #7 and that would net you 2.6" of lift over stock. Then you could find a .5" top hate spacer. You would be able to ditch the pre-load spacer this way.

Did the Readylift kit provide a true 3.5" or was it closer to 3"? I think that 3.1" could be done rather easy and more than likely ride better than the Readylift kit.
Thank you....................

Someone suggested this....

Yeah, ditch the spring spacer (the silver part that isn't bolted in that rides under the top hat spacer) from the readylift kit and run the bilsteins at setting 5 like I did and you have 3.5" of lift again and better ride. I have mine set at 5 and use a 2" daystar top hat spacer and happy. But I do need to change out my UCAs (your kit already has those though).

I thought it wasn't recommended to go above the 5th setting?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Thank you....................

Someone suggested this....

Yeah, ditch the spring spacer (the silver part that isn't bolted in that rides under the top hat spacer) from the readylift kit and run the bilsteins at setting 5 like I did and you have 3.5" of lift again and better ride. I have mine set at 5 and use a 2" daystar top hat spacer and happy. But I do need to change out my UCAs (your kit already has those though).

I thought it wasn't recommended to go above the 5th setting?
Only if you are using ORP springs you are not recommended to go above the 5th setting. If you are using a standard suspension spring you can go higher. I've attached the installation directions that explain it:
Bils.PNG

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anyone does happen to go along and modify their Readylift please make a post with some pictures and any issues you came up with. I just got off the phone with Bilstein and they highly recommend not making any types of modifications to their shocks and struts other than suggested. He said all I would end up with his headaches which was not the answer that I wanted to hear.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Ordered the 5100's today from realtruck.com. Hoping they come in within 2 weeks. Can't way to throw them on. Probably going with the #5 setting which should leave me with about .5" rack still.

sgreasor

Reaction score
If anyone does happen to go along and modify their Readylift please make a post with some pictures and any issues you came up with. I just got off the phone with Bilstein and they highly recommend not making any types of modifications to their shocks and struts other than suggested. He said all I would end up with his headaches which was not the answer that I wanted to hear.
There should be no issues at all. Just remove the preload spacer and set the 5100
I don't see how there would be any headaches. Just set the 5100 to the fifth position, leaving the preload spacer off, and reinstall the top spacer. That's what I just did with mine. I had the ready lift level with UCA. I ordered the 5100 and OEM ORP springs. Installed them last night with the 5100 on position 2 and the ReadyLift top spacer on. Gave me right at 3.5" of lift and the ride is way better than factory. Had it aligned and no issues at all.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There should be no issues at all. Just remove the preload spacer and set the 5100

I don't see how there would be any headaches. Just set the 5100 to the fifth position, leaving the preload spacer off, and reinstall the top spacer. That's what I just did with mine. I had the ready lift level with UCA. I ordered the 5100 and OEM ORP springs. Installed them last night with the 5100 on position 2 and the ReadyLift top spacer on. Gave me right at 3.5" of lift and the ride is way better than factory. Had it aligned and no issues at all.
Why did you purchase the ORP springs?

Baldtires

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Big Horn 4WD without the ORP. I am purchasing a set of Rebel wheels and tires (new take offs). If I level the truck using the 5th position (1.7") would it be advised to replace the UCA's with the units from the Mopar 2" lift? I've read this whole thread and haven't been able to find my answer

sgreasor

Reaction score
Why did you purchase the ORP springs?
The more compression on the springs, the rougher the ride. Similar to a preload spacer.
With the ORP springs, I got 1.5" of lift on the second setting of the 5100s. Truck rides really good. Better than factory. And the ORP springs are cheap.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The more compression on the springs, the rougher the ride. Similar to a preload spacer.
With the ORP springs, I got 1.5" of lift on the second setting of the 5100s. Truck rides really good. Better than factory. And the ORP springs are cheap.
Got it...So just to clarify if I purchase 2 ORP springs for the front, remove the pre-load spacers and set to the 2nd setting Ill be back at my 3.5 inches where I currently sit with the Readylift?

In the rear I only need to install the shocks and keep at the setting that they are at already and keep the Readylift pieces in tact?

Sorry for all the questions....I dont have a lift and need to take my truck somewhere to have this done and dont want them to F*** anything up!

Thanks!!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Got it...So just to clarify if I purchase 2 ORP springs for the front, remove the pre-load spacers and set to the 2nd setting Ill be back at my 3.5 inches where I currently sit with the Readylift?

In the rear I only need to install the shocks and keep at the setting that they are at already and keep the Readylift pieces in tact?

Sorry for all the questions....I dont have a lift and need to take my truck somewhere to have this done and dont want them to F*** anything up!

Thanks!!
No, ORP springs gives you 1". Add in the B5100s @ setting 5 will add another 2". You would be at around 3". If you want 3.5" you would need a .5" top hat spacer.

moparleo51

Reaction score
so if i buy the b1500s for my orp truck and set it to the max 5 setting, would that give me a close to level look? or do i need to buy more things than just the shocks?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
so if i buy the b1500s for my orp truck and set it to the max 5 setting, would that give me a close to level look? or do i need to buy more things than just the shocks?
How much of a rake do you currently have? It will vary depending on the options of your truck.

sgreasor

Reaction score

Thanks!!
Yeah, that will work. With the ORP springs, 5100s on position 2 and the ReadyLift top spacer you will be right at the 3.5". The rear should be fine to leave in place. I don't have a rear lift as. I wanted to see where the front was sitting before I ordered one. With that setup, the front is sitting around 0.5" higher than the rear. So I just ordered a 1.5" rear spacer.

sgreasor

Reaction score

Thanks!!
I got my ORP springs through getOEMparts.com. They had the best price shipped. I ordered part #
68320249AB.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Yeah, that will work. With the ORP springs, 5100s on position 2 and the ReadyLift top spacer you will be right at the 3.5". The rear should be fine to leave in place. I don't have a rear lift as. I wanted to see where the front was sitting before I ordered one. With that setup, the front is sitting around 0.5" higher than the rear. So I just ordered a 1.5" rear spacer.
Why would you do this? You'd be better off setting the 5100s at the 5th setting with ORP springs and a cheap .5" spacer from Motofab? Also his front to rear height may vary from yours depending on what options he ordered on the truck. All of these trucks are different and should be measured pre lift install.

Disposer

Reaction score
Guys forgive me for beating a dead horse....I've read the entire thread but I am still a bit confused. If I am going Bilsteins set at 5 and add ORP Springs (front and rear) I should be about 3" taller up front and 1" taller out back?

Also should I add the Mopar control arms for a little more piece of mind?

I have a stock 4x4 Laramie with 275/70/18

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Guys forgive me for beating a dead horse....I've read the entire thread but I am still a bit confused. If I am going Bilsteins set at 5 and add ORP Springs (front and rear) I should be about 3" taller up front and 1" taller out back?

Also should I add the Mopar control arms for a little more piece of mind?

I have a stock 4x4 Laramie with 275/70/18

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You've got it. The Mopar UCAs are cheap insurance.

JZ1

Reaction score
Had 5100s put on my orp yesterday- fronts only for A 2” level.

The good: The stance looks 100x better.

The bad: I’m really disappointed in how stiff it rides. Small cracks and bumps in the road Are felt throughout the truck. Took the cush ride of the oem struts and replaced it with a rigid dump truck feel.

Anyone else have this experience?

Attachments

• 375674B4-3A77-4F1D-B945-D7DAEA4E2666.jpeg
    375674B4-3A77-4F1D-B945-D7DAEA4E2666.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 307

Users who are viewing this thread