5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. No chance that they have a break in period to allow more mobility ?

Rocko

Reaction score
Guys forgive me for beating a dead horse....I've read the entire thread but I am still a bit confused. If I am going Bilsteins set at 5 and add ORP Springs (front and rear) I should be about 3" taller up front and 1" taller out back?

Also should I add the Mopar control arms for a little more piece of mind?

I have a stock 4x4 Laramie with 275/70/18

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That sounds right to me. It's what I did but I already had the orp. I'm running 275 65 20s though

knightro84

Reaction score
Had 5100s put on my orp yesterday- fronts only for A 2” level.

The good: The stance looks 100x better.

The bad: I’m really disappointed in how stiff it rides. Small cracks and bumps in the road Are felt throughout the truck. Took the cush ride of the oem struts and replaced it with a rigid dump truck feel.

Anyone else have this experience?

What setting did you use? I'm assuming #5? Truck looks great, can't wait to get mine delivered and installed!

sgreasor

Reaction score
Why would you do this? You'd be better off setting the 5100s at the 5th setting with ORP springs and a cheap .5" spacer from Motofab? Also his front to rear height may vary from yours depending on what options he ordered on the truck. All of these trucks are different and should be measured pre lift install.
Because that's what I wanted to do with mine. You're more than welcome to set yours up as you like.
And I never said that anyone else's would be identical. I simply stated what I did with mine.

Last edited:

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Yeah, that will work. With the ORP springs, 5100s on position 2 and the ReadyLift top spacer you will be right at the 3.5". The rear should be fine to leave in place. I don't have a rear lift as. I wanted to see where the front was sitting before I ordered one. With that setup, the front is sitting around 0.5" higher than the rear. So I just ordered a 1.5" rear spacer.
Sounds perfectly logical to me. Interested to hear how your ride is after the rear 1.5” rear spacer.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Had 5100s put on my orp yesterday- fronts only for A 2” level.

The good: The stance looks 100x better.

The bad: I’m really disappointed in how stiff it rides. Small cracks and bumps in the road Are felt throughout the truck. Took the cush ride of the oem struts and replaced it with a rigid dump truck feel.

Anyone else have this experience?
I am interested in others opinions about the ride quality after installing the Bilsteins. If my truck is going to ride terrible, I am not going to do it. This is the first complaint I’ve read about the ride. My truck rides great the way it is now

Chrisdbeall

Reaction score
I am interested in others opinions about the ride quality after installing the Bilsteins. If my truck is going to ride terrible, I am not going to do it. This is the first complaint I’ve read about the ride. My truck rides great the way it is now
I’ve got the 5100’s with ORP PACKAGE. I think it rides incredibly smooth. I noticed less float in the new set up. I still have stock tires though. If I move to 34” e rated tires I, sure it will transmit more bumps with the stiffer rubber compound.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Because that's what I wanted to do with mine. You're more than welcome to set yours up as you like.
And I never said that anyone else's would be identical. I simply stated what I did with mine.
Ok, guess you took that the wrong way. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind your method of lift? Why would you choose a hardened spacer over tuned suspension travel? Maybe I'm missing something.

I never mentioned you saying his truck would be identical. Was just letting anyone know that most of the Rams front to rear heights are different.

sgreasor

Reaction score
Ok, guess you took that the wrong way. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind your method of lift? Why would you choose a hardened spacer over tuned suspension travel? Maybe I'm missing something.

I never mentioned you saying his truck would be identical. Was just letting anyone know that most of the Rams front to rear heights are different.
Apologies, I must have taken the way it was wrote with different intent.
Compression on the spring is why I chose the setup I did. The higher the groove selected on the 5100s, the more that spring is compressed. The more its compressed, the stiffer the ride. With the coil spacer, or top hat if you will, it does not impact spring compression. You do lose some strut downtravel with the spacer, but my truck is on road only so I'm not worried about that. I wanted to achieve the lift amount with as little spring compression as possible. Plus I already had the ReadyLift spacer. So I opted for this setup for ride quality. There may not be much of a difference, and others may be fine with possibly sacrificing some ride quality.

sgreasor

Reaction score
With progressive rate springs, I would have absolutely just set the Bilsteins higher and got a smaller top hat. The OEM springs, based on what I saw when removing and installing, are linear rate.

Rocko

Reaction score
I’ve got the 5100’s with ORP PACKAGE. I think it rides incredibly smooth. I noticed less float in the new set up. I still have stock tires though. If I move to 34” e rated tires I, sure it will transmit more bumps with the stiffer rubber compound.
I like your description of less float but smooth. Dead on.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Hello all just picked up a 2019 big horn and interested in leveling out the front, are the 5100s a better option then the updated mopar kit?

texasvolfan15

Reaction score
Hello all just picked up a 2019 big horn and interested in leveling out the front, are the 5100s a better option then the updated mopar kit?

the Mopar kit isn’t a leveling kit, rather a lift kit. However, it would seem from most people that with the mopar kit you maintain quiet a bit of the factory rake, so keep that in mind.

If you are wanting purely just a level, I would say bilsteins are the way to go.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
the Mopar kit isn’t a leveling kit, rather a lift kit. However, it would seem from most people that with the mopar kit you maintain quiet a bit of the factory rake, so keep that in mind.

If you are wanting purely just a level, I would say bilsteins are the way to go.
Oh so the mopar kit raises the rear as well?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Swapped some ORP shocks out with 5100s today. Quick install as the ORP springs compress fairly easy.

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_162029.jpg
    IMG_20200213_162029.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20200213_171052.jpg
    IMG_20200213_171052.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 256

wchughes5

Reaction score
Please go easy on me, I’ve looked through the thread and searched it, and must have missed it - does anyone have the part numbers available for the Mopar UCAs? I’m thinking the Bilsteins, a 1-inch read, and new UCAs are going to be a much more cost effective option than the Mopar lift to get that slightly- more aggressive stance. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread