5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still waiting to see some ORP trucks use these to level the front so I know what setting to use.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
Alright so I've been reading threads for 3 days and I'm pretty much set on Mopar 2 inch UCAs and the bilstein B8 5100s. Last thing to decide on is if I would need a diff drop kit? Can't seem to find my answer anywhere... plan on running the bilsteins at minimum of 2 inches lift.
No diff drop kit needed.

7amada

Reaction score
I have the north edition which as you all know has the factory 1 inch lift. Bilstein site shows we that have it can only go to level 5 setting giving a 2 inch lift. Why is that and is that 2 inch on top of the factory 1 netting 3 inch total over standard ram or will we only have 2 inch total? Wanted to go max of 3.5 of lift so was looking at the rc and rl 3.5 lifts but know the bilstein set up would ride much better. If we only get 2 inch would it still be better to go with the bills and add an inch top hat? Thanks all

I am also curious about this. I have a rebel and I am pretty sure these also come with a 1inch lift from the factory over the other rams.

Will this raise my front 1 inch or 2 inch on top of what I already have?

Thats assuming it fits :)

knightro84

Reaction score
My understanding is that using setting 5 on the Bilstein's will raise you 2" above stock, which is already 1" above the non-ORG/north edition/Rebel trucks (essentially you'd be 3" taller in the front than a regular 4WD Ram that isn't equipped with the off-road group).

I'm going to be buying these whenever the matching rears are released, and will also likely be picking up a set of the Mopar 2" lift UCA's since they are so cheap.

7amada

Reaction score
My understanding is that using setting 5 on the Bilstein's will raise you 2" above stock, which is already 1" above the non-ORG/north edition/Rebel trucks (essentially you'd be 3" taller in the front than a regular 4WD Ram that isn't equipped with the off-road group).

I'm going to be buying these whenever the matching rears are released, and will also likely be picking up a set of the Mopar 2" lift UCA's since they are so cheap.

So essentially just a 1 inch lift for rebels? Is that even worth it? Rebels already come with Bilsteins

knightro84

Reaction score
So essentially just a 1 inch lift for rebels? Is that even worth it? Rebels already come with Bilsteins

No, using setting 5 should be 2" over stock (i.e., over a stock Rebel). The Bilsteins on the Rebel are not ride height adjustable - the lift is achieved with taller springs. Swapping to the 5100's raises the spring seat, so using setting 5 on a Rebel/ORG/north edition truck would theoretically be 3" taller than a stock 4WD non-Rebel/ORG/north edition truck.

Edit: Bilstein's website does not list the 5100's as fitting the Rebel, so I'm not sure if they will fit or not. The stock Bilstein's on the Rebel have the remote reservoir, so they might be coming out with a solution for that.

R

Rob5589

Somewhere there is a chart posted that lists the settings, one is for the factory 1" lift, the other without. I seem to recall the 1.7" setting was max for the org.

knightro84

Reaction score
#1 would be stock on both types of trucks, and stock on the ORG trucks is 1" taller than non-ORG trucks via taller springs. Moving the spring seat to #5 on an ORG truck should lift it 2" above stock for an ORG truck, not 2" above a non-ORG truck.

7amada

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Gonna try and reach out and see if there will be a solution for the rebel in the near future. if not, then KING coils all the way around :)

I also read somewhere that a rebel with daystar spacers will ride softer/better than with a coilover setup? true or lies?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, using setting 5 should be 2" over stock (i.e., over a stock Rebel). The Bilsteins on the Rebel are not ride height adjustable - the lift is achieved with taller springs. Swapping to the 5100's raises the spring seat, so using setting 5 on a Rebel/ORG/north edition truck would theoretically be 3" taller than a stock 4WD non-Rebel/ORG/north edition truck.

Edit: Bilstein's website does not list the 5100's as fitting the Rebel, so I'm not sure if they will fit or not. The stock Bilstein's on the Rebel have the remote reservoir, so they might be coming out with a solution for that.
My understanding is that the springs on the rebel are the same as ORG. The difference is the diameter of the shock body itself meaning that the lower spring perch will not fit on the 5100 because its the same diameter as the stock shocks on the standard/ORG. My guess is that you could get the lower spring perch for a non rebel truck to use the 5100's and reuse all the rest of the hardware on the Rebel.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Gonna try and reach out and see if there will be a solution for the rebel in the near future. if not, then KING coils all the way around :)

I also read somewhere that a rebel with daystar spacers will ride softer/better than with a coilover setup? true or lies?
Aftermarket coil overs are meant for more aggressive off road driving which means higher spring rates and a stiffer ride. Unless you have a custom set built using a different spring rate. The higher end will have compression adjustment that will help soften the ride.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Billet1500 4x4 Forgive the possible dumb question, but from your responses it sounds like you have/had air suspension? Or am I misinterpreting air ride and rear air bags for something else as a suspension noob.
The factory upper control arms are the same for all models whether they have air suspension or not. So even on trucks without factory air suspension the ball stud for the air ride link control rod is there even when the truck doesn't have air suspension. My truck doesn't have air and never did but the stock arms have the connection points for an air suspension sensor link. I hope this makes sense. Is the little silver stud with a ball end just a few inches away from the bolt in the pic.

1578330187231.png

7amada

Reaction score
Aftermarket coil overs are meant for more aggressive off road driving which means higher spring rates and a stiffer ride. Unless you have a custom set built using a different spring rate. The higher end will have compression adjustment that will help soften the ride.

So I barely offroad my truck. Maybe once or twice a year my truck will see dirt.

Will it be better in my case to go with spacers to retain stock ride quality or go for coilovers? I know this is subjective and comes back to my preference. Just curious what others would do if in my shoes

Ram_Feste

Reaction score
So I barely offroad my truck. Maybe once or twice a year my truck will see dirt.

Will it be better in my case to go with spacers to retain stock ride quality or go for coilovers? I know this is subjective and comes back to my preference. Just curious what others would do if in my shoes

I ran the daystar 2.5" level top strut spacer and it was as good, if not slightly better than stock, less brake dive and pitch, note it only gave me a little less than 2" total height and I like using the poly vs steel spacer b/c less prone to squeaking/harshness and no point of failure (no welds to worry about). Now that I am running the bilsteins though, I say just go this route and you won't be disappointed. Far better handling/ride (before the front would bounce over road rises and dips and now it maintains composure and follows the road).

Rocko

Reaction score

You are correct sir. I spoke to bilstein techs today and with the off road package we would have 3 inches of lift over standard non off road ram. They also said that this set up is designed to work with the stock upper control arms so no need to replace them. I ordered my set today now just debating weather to get uppers or not. Either from the mopar lift kit or a set from mevotech. Probably do a 1 inch spacer on the rear springs. Also the 5100 rear shocks should be available within next 2 months.

Rocko

Reaction score
Alright so I've been reading threads for 3 days and I'm pretty much set on Mopar 2 inch UCAs and the bilstein B8 5100s. Last thing to decide on is if I would need a diff drop kit? Can't seem to find my answer anywhere... plan on running the bilsteins at minimum of 2 inches lift.
According to what the tech told me there's no need for a diff drop or replacement uppers. And from what I've been reading in another thread there doesn't seem to be any difference from the stock to the mopar lift uppers. Dealership parts and service department couldn't tell any difference in them Either even though different part numbers. And believe it or not the stock ones cost more than twice what the lift kits do. Stocks are 167 a piece

GraniteRam

Reaction score
According to what the tech told me there's no need for a diff drop or replacement uppers. And from what I've been reading in another thread there doesn't seem to be any difference from the stock to the mopar lift uppers. Dealership parts and service department couldn't tell any difference in them Either even though different part numbers. And believe it or not the stock ones cost more than twice what the lift kits do. Stocks are 167 a piece

From earlier in this thread.
"Here is a pic of the mopar lift arm on the left next to stock arm on the right notice the maximum working angle of the ball joint on the mopar lift arm. I also measured from a flat surface to the top of the ball joint, without doing the math I would guess about 10-15 degrees of additional working angle on the mopar lift arms.

Attachments

mdscott

Reaction score
So this is what I'm thinking for my 2019 RAM 1500 - quad cab, non ORP:

Bilstein 5100 Front set to highest setting
ORP Front Coils
MOPAR UCA's - for 2"(ish) lift
Bilstein 5100 Rear - when available
ORP Rear Coils

The idea is the raise the rear an inch and essentially level the front

Anyone have any comments or think this is a bad idea. Not looking for much, just a small lift/level without the use of spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online