5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100 help, please!

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
I realize there is a 32 page thread on leveling and Bilsteins, but its gone different directions and I’m hoping someone will take pity and help me figure out my specific problem. I just had the 5100 fronts installed on #6, along with the new UCAs (mine has 60k and figured cheap insurance) and an alignment. When I pulled in to pick it up I about had a heart attack. It looks like it has hydraulics on it it’s so unlevel. The rear is sitting at about 23 1/2” center hub to bottom of fender. On the front, I measured center of hub to the bottom of front fender and it is 25+”... up from ~22”. unless I’m misremembering what my front measured, how did I gain 3+” from #6? I’m at a loss.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I realize there is a 32 page thread on leveling and Bilsteins, but its gone different directions and I’m hoping someone will take pity and help me figure out my specific problem. I just had the 5100 fronts installed on #6, along with the new UCAs (mine has 60k and figured cheap insurance) and an alignment. When I pulled in to pick it up I about had a heart attack. It looks like it has hydraulics on it it’s so unlevel. The rear is sitting at about 23 1/2” center hub to bottom of fender. On the front, I measured center of hub to the bottom of front fender and it is 25+”... up from ~22”. unless I’m misremembering what my front measured, how did I gain 3+” from #6? I’m at a loss.
Does your truck have one of the Off Road Packages, Rebel, North Edition? If so, you shouldn't have gone above ring 5. Have you looked and verified you aren't on 7?
Pics are helpful.

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Does your truck have one of the Off Road Packages, Rebel, North Edition? If so, you shouldn't have gone above ring 5. Have you looked and verified you aren't on 7?
Pics are helpful.
First, thanks for trying to help me out! The first thing I checked was to see if it’s set on #7. It’s on #6. It also does not have the ORP or north edition. When measuring at the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender I get 25” on front and 23.5” on rear... 1.5” negative rake. What in the world???

Attachments

• 1892D0BA-F84C-466E-9299-71E6EB1A410E.jpeg
    1892D0BA-F84C-466E-9299-71E6EB1A410E.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
What would really help is if someone with a non-ORP could give me a measurement of a #5 or #6 from center of wheel to the bottom of the fender. At least if know if something is way off from the norm.

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Another pic.

Attachments

• F49DE4C1-5475-4653-8207-587038A81FCD.jpeg
    F49DE4C1-5475-4653-8207-587038A81FCD.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 138

Jack Whitefield

Reaction score
Have you tried driving it around to let it settle? Also, all suspension bolts should have loosened before the installation of the struts. If the suspension bolts were not loosened, all of your bushings are supporting some of the vehicle weight, providing a small amount of lift.

Maybe take it to a suspension / 4x4 shop, ask them to loosen everything, cycle the suspension a few times, and then retorque everything.

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
Your picTURe looks like it’s actually on #7....the ring is way up in there
It’s not on #7. The spring seat adapter does go way up in there. The clip does not. If you l look at the instructions and diagram.... or if you get up under the truck and shine a light you can clearly see the clip. The bevel of the spring seat adapter is at the very bottom of the flared end (bottom) of the adapter. It’s on #6.

Doc33

Reaction score
It’s not on #7. The spring seat adapter does go way up in there. The clip does not. If you l look at the instructions and diagram.... or if you get up under the truck and shine a light you can clearly see the clip. The bevel of the spring seat adapter is at the very bottom of the flared end (bottom) of the adapter. It’s on #6.
If it helps for reference mine is set at #5 and I measure 23.75 up front

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
After 10 emails and pics... I had a Bilstein tech stumped today too. In his words: “yeah, something is not right.” Fortunately he was super helpful and between he and my 3rd discussion with a really helpful Ram parts guy (and several hrs of him making calls on my behalf), it turns out I’m right that my truck is NOT a Rebel, North Country or Off Road Edition. However, it DOES have a heavy duty service group. What’s that mean? Well, the stance is “standard” for a Big Horn (no 1” lift), but it has heavier coil springs all the way around...factory. It also has the upgraded rear diff. At this point, between Bilstein and the Ram dealership parts detective I know I don’t have a major problem. But I do have oddball suspension. There’s no formula to set the 5100s on my truck. Given I’m a tick over 1” higher than the expected setting, I’m going to drop 2 notches and call it good. Hopefully I’ll be around 24” at the bottom of the fender. I appreciate everyone’s help who’s measured trucks and offered advice. Hopefully the next guy that runs in to this mystery will run in to an easier time. Thanks all.

Doc33

Reaction score
After 10 emails and pics... I had a Bilstein tech stumped today too. In his words: “yeah, something is not right.” Fortunately he was super helpful and between he and my 3rd discussion with a really helpful Ram parts guy (and several hrs of him making calls on my behalf), it turns out I’m right that my truck is NOT a Rebel, North Country or Off Road Edition. However, it DOES have a heavy duty service group. What’s that mean? Well, the stance is “standard” for a Big Horn (no 1” lift), but it has heavier coil springs all the way around...factory. It also has the upgraded rear diff. At this point, between Bilstein and the Ram dealership parts detective I know I don’t have a major problem. But I do have oddball suspension. There’s no formula to set the 5100s on my truck. Given I’m a tick over 1” higher than the expected setting, I’m going to drop 2 notches and call it good. Hopefully I’ll be around 24” at the bottom of the fender. I appreciate everyone’s help who’s measured trucks and offered advice. Hopefully the next guy that runs in to this mystery will run in to an easier time. Thanks all.
Hope everything turns out the way you want in the end

Kxlexus

Reaction score
What would really help is if someone with a non-ORP could give me a measurement of a #5 or #6 from center of wheel to the bottom of the fender. At least if know if something is way off from the norm.
My non ORP Longhorn is on position 5 and I measure 23 inches from center of hub to bottom of fender flare in front. Hope this helps

Wasachevyguy

Reaction score
My non ORP Longhorn is on position 5 and I measure 23 inches from center of hub to bottom of fender flare in front. Hope this helps
Appreciate it. The mystery has mostly been solved. Turns out I have a “heavy duty” 1500. It would seem that the heavier coils create more preload than even the ORP trucks. My truck went back in and now it’s set on position 4 and my front is still 24+”. The Bilstein tech I talked to was stumped as well. Other posts in here mention that Laramies measure a 1/2” less than others due to fender flares. Your truck would be 23.5” without the flares. Thanks.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Late to the game but did you get the issue resolved?

I've not heard of an "HD" 1500 but I have read of people having the spring seat adapter put in upside down creating more lift...

1500_Inst 1.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've not heard of an "HD" 1500 but I have read of people having the spring seat adapter put in upside down creating more lift...
At least from the pic he posted a few replies up it doesn't look like the seat adapter is upside down. OP, this won't solve your problem completely, but driving around on it and getting the suspension to settle will drop it by 1/2-3/4". In my experience Bilsteins will settle more than if you use a strut spacer.

Zeeya

Reaction score

View attachment 68608
I’m having an issue also. I just picked up truck and I’m sitting at 24 1/4” on setting 5. It’s a Rebel. Looking at this diagram and it states clip should fit up in adapter in the groove. I can set the clip, it’s inside adaptor, but at bottom edge.
this puts me at 3” lift from when I brought it in. I told them to use the Rebel OEM, but looks like they used the supplied adaptor to fit over clip. Will try and attach pic from phone

Attachments

• 014514B9-7F18-4CC6-A45D-2FE4016BC1A5.jpeg
    014514B9-7F18-4CC6-A45D-2FE4016BC1A5.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 389B2E38-564F-45BC-8AAD-309EC328FCB9.jpeg
    389B2E38-564F-45BC-8AAD-309EC328FCB9.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DC77659A-5924-47A7-A001-FFB4FCCD55EA.jpeg
    DC77659A-5924-47A7-A001-FFB4FCCD55EA.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 70

Zeeya

Reaction score
I think with the Rebel you may not install the seat ring adaptor. The Bilstein strut that comes on the Rebel has a permanent clip installed unlike the movable one on the 5100. I’m thinking the assembly sits directly on the clip and has the adaptor made into the assembly. That’s where the Rebel gets it’s 1” lift from. The thing is I told them not to install the Bilstein adaptor as we had another member here that said not to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread