5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein 5100 help, please!

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
You can tell in the picture they installed the spring seat adapter upside down. The circlip is supposed to sit up in a channel under the adapter which in the photos it is flush with the adapter. This will also keep the spring seat from setting fully down. They have added another 3/4" of preload to your springs. Your upper control arm and CV axle angles are bad.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
For a Rebel you DO NOT use spring seat adapter. Just the Perch that came with truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Either way it is still upside down. The shop that did this didn't even look at the base instructions let alone listen to the customer.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Either way it is still upside down. The shop that did this didn't even look at the base instructions let alone listen to the customer.

The spring adapter is only used for smaller diameter shocks.

Zeeya

Reaction score
You can tell in the picture they installed the spring seat adapter upside down. The circlip is supposed to sit up in a channel under the adapter which in the photos it is flush with the adapter. This will also keep the spring seat from setting fully down. They have added another 3/4" of preload to your springs. Your upper control arm and CV axle angles are bad.
Yep, I'm headed back over there in the morning and haven't driven the truck since I got home. One bad thing is i stopped on the way home and had it aligned.... :(... Now, once they fix their screw up, I have to get it re-aligned. I will see how they react to asking them to pay for alignment...
Thanks for looking at pictures for me..

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
The spring adapter is only used for smaller diameter shocks.

I understand how they work as I have built several sets of 5100s and a few 6100s. Actually the spring seat adapter is for smaller diameter springs seats not smaller diameter shocks as it is included with the 5100s and they are the same diameter for all Rams DTs. The spring seat adapter is included with the 5100s for standard suspension Rams and ORP equiped Rams (Hitachi). As mentioned not for Rebels (Bilstein).

I'm mentioning that it is upside down for other members that may be installing these on other types of Rams and for the OP to know that the shop he used probably doesn't 100% know what they are doing.

Last edited:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand how they work as I have built several sets of 5100s and a few 6100s. Actually the spring seat adapter is for smaller diameter springs seats not smaller diameter shocks as it is included with the 5100s and they are the same diameter for all Rams DTs. The spring seat is included with the 5100s for standard suspension Rams and ORP equiped Rams (Hitachi). As mentioned not for Rebels (Bilstein).

I'm mentioning that it is upside down for other members that may be installing these on other types of Rams and for the OP to know that the shop he used probably doesn't 100% know what they are doing.

Yes

Zeeya

Reaction score
Update: Shop removed struts and removed the spring seat adaptors as I had requested they not install in the first place. I have to say they were honest about it and the lady up front admitted to hearing me tell the guy not to use it. No charge for pulling it apart and back together properly. Also got lucky with the alignment as I explained what happened and was not charged at the tire shop.
Attached are pictures if anyone wants to see UCA angle difference from proper install between the 2. I also am including a picture of the spring seat adaptor and you can see the groove is actually right at the bottom edge of the adaptor which does not allow the clip to go up into the adaptor. I thought it should go up inside the adaptor a good ways, but looking at this made me question it. I know you guys are a lot more familiar with it. Just posting pictures for reference. Thanks for the comments/advice. Final lift achieved was just a hair under 2"s on #5 setting on Rebel.

Wrong = Bad angle_________________________________________________________ Correct = angle corrected
IMG_3062.jpg IMG_3108.jpg
Clip inside Rebel spring seat on setting #5____________________________________ Bilstein spring seat adaptor installed (Not supposed to use it on Rebel) = major problems
IMG_3097.jpg IMG_3085.jpg

Groove clip fits in on Bilstein spring seat adaptor
IMG_3120.jpg IMG_3087.PNG

Last edited:

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Awesome thread! Great communication. I am doing this some day. Now I know where to look. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread