5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big tires on stock 22s

sessman

Reaction score
Hey Kman,
I have a 21 white Laramie Night Edition with the 22” wheels and went with the Toyo Open Country AT3 305/45/22. I also have the 3.21 gears

Just got them put on this morning so the truck is a little dirty and the pics not the best but it’ll give you an idea of how they look. Huge improvement over the stock Goodyears.
09886c3eb7b358bad17a9aeadfcf66fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bro, thanks for sharing! I think this is what I want to do, can you share more pics of the overall look of the truck and some side profile of the tires? Also, any noticeable difference in ride quality, sound, rubbing? Thanks again for sharing.

Skelleher4

Reaction score
Bro, thanks for sharing! I think this is what I want to do, can you share more pics of the overall look of the truck and some side profile of the tires? Also, any noticeable difference in ride quality, sound, rubbing? Thanks again for sharing.
No difference in the ride quality, it rides just as smooth. I do have some slight rubbing at full lock but that only happens if I'm trying to get into a tight space, a little bit of trimming will easily fix that. You notice the sound slightly if you don't have music playing, just a faint hum but they're honestly quieter than I expected. Here's a few quick shots I took this morning, not the best but gives you an idea of the look.

IMG_4858 (1).jpg IMG_4860 (1).jpg InkedIMG_4862_LI.jpg

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
I ordered the 295/50r22 AT3's last night from Discount Tire. Saved a little with cyber monday deal, but their expensive.
They were the only place that had them in stock.
Its an odd tire size so I wanted to get them before theres a "Tire Shortage"
For me I was between the 285/55 and the 295/50. All are E rated tires except a K02 in 295/50. And from reading it seems they are an older design and not as good in the rain.
Hopefully I dont regret the E rated.

I will post pictures when I get them on. Might be a few weeks though. Im hoping to do the level first.

Skelleher4

Reaction score
I ordered the 295/50r22 AT3's last night from Discount Tire. Saved a little with cyber monday deal, but their expensive.
For me I was between the 285/55 and the 295/50. All are E rated tires except a K02 in 295/50. And from reading it seems they are an older design and not as good in the rain.

I will post pictures when I get them on. Might be a few weeks though. Im hoping to do the level first.
Nice! The AT3s are a great looking tire, I'm sure it's gonna come out great. My Discount Tire rep told me that Toyos are really hard to come by right now, the manufacturer has most sizes on a 3 month backorder. I was looking to get a set of them for another truck I have and was told the ETA was March of next year.

mcp6530

Reaction score

nice - thinking of the same set up. post pics when you can!

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Well Discount tire called and the 295/50r22 AT3 are backordered. They had 285/55r22 so I guess im doing a 34.3" tire lol.
We shall see how they fit.
Need my backordered Bilsteins asap.

Selcher

Reaction score
So if I want Toyo AT3's in 295/50/22 for spring I should order now.

Or lift it and do 35's. They're probably back ordered too.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
So if I want Toyo AT3's in 295/50/22 for spring I should order now.

Or lift it and do 35's. They're probably back ordered too.
They did have Ridge Grapplers in stock FYI, but I wasnt as keen on those.
I probably should have just waited for the 295/50, but well see.

Kman1080

Reaction score
Nice man! Let me know how you end up liking them and throw up some pics. I also have a blacked out 19 ram with 20s that I was thinking of putting the Ridge Grapplers on.

Welp, they’re here!!

Sorry for the delay, but finally got around to being able to post this. Got my 305/45R22 Ridge Grapplers installed on my truck just the past Saturday.

I have NO rubbing at all from what I’ve noticed and I do not have a any lift or level on my truck (wanted to hold off on that cause of possible warranty issues).

Tires look good as hell in my opinion. I got numerous compliments on my truck while at Discount Tire from a few employees and other customers.

As far as noise and ride…. There is a tiny bit of road noise with these (but that is to be expected). The discount tire manager basically politely said that the stock tires that are put on these trucks are passenger car tires and are garbage (and I agreed). The tires feel way more “grippy” (for the lack of better words) and in a good way and a little more “blocky”. Again, it’s a friggin All terrain tire and isn’t that the point?!
The ride - the truck rides just as good as stock.

A guy I work with has a 2019 Ram and he got General Grabbers (LT tires) a couple months ago and once he saw my truck he said he was pissed for not waiting on the outcome of mine. He likes the look and style more of the Ridge Grapplers now that he’s seen them in person. He’s got some issues of his tires rubbing on his truck with the size he went with.

I’d like to have my tires stick out just a tad so I am debating on doing wheel spacers at some point but am torn because if I do that, then I might have slight rubbing some where in the wheel well. It’s definitely not a priority or needed because I’m happy with the outcome and would def recommend the size and tire so far, as it is not an LT tire so you won’t be giving up much MPG’s and ride quality.

Hope this helps some of you that are in the same predicament!

Here’s a couple pics :

6ec47e7b3b85480e6da47b93d077b307.jpg

b953fa2b0d48cf31828fcfb78154c504.jpg

4e2f22d06bc969bf50f8f520ec063e93.jpg

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
@Kmann1080. Thanks for sharing those photos! That looks really good! Did you notice much speedometer discrepancy and if so, any plans for correction?

Skelleher4

Reaction score
Welp, they’re here!!

Sorry for the delay, but finally got around to being able to post this. Got my 305/45R22 Ridge Grapplers installed on my truck just the past Saturday.

I have NO rubbing at all from what I’ve noticed and I do not have a any lift or level on my truck (wanted to hold off on that cause of possible warranty issues).

Tires look good as hell in my opinion. I got numerous compliments on my truck while at Discount Tire from a few employees and other customers.

As far as noise and ride…. There is a tiny bit of road noise with these (but that is to be expected). The discount tire manager basically politely said that the stock tires that are put on these trucks are passenger car tires and are garbage (and I agreed). The tires feel way more “grippy” (for the lack of better words) and in a good way and a little more “blocky”. Again, it’s a friggin All terrain tire and isn’t that the point?!
The ride - the truck rides just as good as stock.

A guy I work with has a 2019 Ram and he got General Grabbers (LT tires) a couple months ago and once he saw my truck he said he was pissed for not waiting on the outcome of mine. He likes the look and style more of the Ridge Grapplers now that he’s seen them in person. He’s got some issues of his tires rubbing on his truck with the size he went with.

I’d like to have my tires stick out just a tad so I am debating on doing wheel spacers at some point but am torn because if I do that, then I might have slight rubbing some where in the wheel well. It’s definitely not a priority or needed because I’m happy with the outcome and would def recommend the size and tire so far, as it is not an LT tire so you won’t be giving up much MPG’s and ride quality.

Hope this helps some of you that are in the same predicament!

Here’s a couple pics :

6ec47e7b3b85480e6da47b93d077b307.jpg

b953fa2b0d48cf31828fcfb78154c504.jpg

4e2f22d06bc969bf50f8f520ec063e93.jpg
That looks awesome man!!

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
285/55R22 Toyo AT3
No lift/level yet. I have 5100's on order.

Rub near full lock of course, but not too bad, and I might be able to get no rubbing after I bend some plastic

20211221_132647.jpg 20211221_132657.jpg 20211221_132721.jpg 20211221_132710.jpg

Ibanez540r

Reaction score
I had the same problem locating Toyo Open Country A/T III's. All of the local or online national chains can't get them. Went on Amazon and there are two sellers that have them in stock. Ordered 4 305/45R22 and got them delivered in a few days. $382 a piece, free shipping. (I also did not want to go into LT sizes) Taking them up to be mounted in a few days.

Kman1080

Reaction score
@Kmann1080. Thanks for sharing those photos! That looks really good! Did you notice much speedometer discrepancy and if so, any plans for correction?

Been a while but I wanted to see if there was any difference in the speedometer like you asked.

Initially it seemed like it was off by a couple mph at higher speeds (50-60mph and up).

After a couple weeks, the truck seems to have basically learned or corrected itself because it’s no longer slightly off at those speeds.

Clear as mud, I know…..

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Been a while but I wanted to see if there was any difference in the speedometer like you asked.

Initially it seemed like it was off by a couple mph at higher speeds (50-60mph and up).

After a couple weeks, the truck seems to have basically learned or corrected itself because it’s no longer slightly off at those speeds.

Clear as mud, I know…..
Appreciate the feedback!!!

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I swapped my stock tires for Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/55R22). I like they way they look, are pretty quiet, does well is rain, and seemed to have good traction in the snow last winter (but we also didn’t get a lot of snow last year). I have a 2020 1500 Laramie night edition with air suspension. The only rubbing happens on the front tires at ”Normal” or lower heights and when turning the wheel all the way to either extremes, which I really never do.
A4AAE848-27B3-4716-90F7-3021F1438497.jpeg
59F85896-C491-4857-B3E1-D834A9502000.jpeg 38FEA3CF-5BB7-4B1B-8D26-E430C30B3BD4.jpeg B2101607-B45C-4C9B-A4B9-DCC5FA350570.jpeg

Sengdemund

Reaction score
Just had 305/45/22 Ridge Grapplers installed. No rub except for full lock wheels right in reverse. Stock 4x4 Limted, 22” wheels

Ciege

Reaction score
I put on 325/50/22 Toyo Open Country ATIII and had rub on the frame rail at full lock. It wasn't much of a big deal, but did eventually push me to a lift and new rims.
Here's a before and after.

Before.jpeg After.jpeg

Turbo98

Reaction score
a9c2627d5a57a9cac24142c6d2db6799.jpg

33x12.5R22 Nitto Ridge Grappler on stock suspension, I did have to trim some of the liner

Users who are viewing this thread