5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big tires on stock 22s

Morenar

Reaction score
I swapped my stock tires for Nitto Ridge Grapplers (285/55R22). I like they way they look, are pretty quiet, does well is rain, and seemed to have good traction in the snow last winter (but we also didn’t get a lot of snow last year). I have a 2020 1500 Laramie night edition with air suspension. The only rubbing happens on the front tires at ”Normal” or lower heights and when turning the wheel all the way to either extremes, which I really never do.
View attachment 115693
View attachment 115692 View attachment 115694 View attachment 115695
What tire pressure have you been running?

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Not the person you were asking, but I have the 285/55R22 AT3 and Discount tire told me 45 all around, but I find 44 in the front and 41 in the rear makes better contact

Morenar

Reaction score
Not the person you were asking, but I have the 285/55R22 AT3 and Discount tire told me 45 all around, but I find 44 in the front and 41 in the rear makes better contact
Ok I currently have the same size but in a Mickey Thompson Baja boss AT and running them all at 40. That seems to work well so far.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I’ve been running 45 psi, but now that winter has set in, it’s more in the low 40s because of the cold. Seems like a good level in terms of comfort. I’ve never bother to do one of those chalk tests to look at the patch pattern, though.

PaulSD

Reaction score
For anyone running a larger tire size than stock 285 / 45 R22, are you doing anything about the different speedometer result? I saw somewhere in a different post in this forum that there's a device that plugs into the ODB II port specific for the Ram allowing you to put in the new tire size and it adjusts the speedometer readout. Just curious. Some of these tire sizes can be off by 2 to 4 mph depending on the speed you'd be going with the original tire. Deciding between Falken Wildpeak AT3W (backordered at Discount Tire locally), Toyo Open Country AT3, and Nitto Terra Grappler G2 as well as what tire size. 305 / 45 R22 seems like it works and gives a nice stance and only rubs at full lock. I've seen some drill into the plastic wheel well liner and zip tie it back to address the location of the rubs for the front tires. Seems like the only issue.

madmatter

Reaction score
After reviewing several forum threads (thank you all), I installed Toyo Open Country ATIII's size 285/55R22 on my '21 Limited. They only rubbed at full turn of the steering wheel, and mainly in the lowest ride height. So I took a pair of scissors and trimmed a few small pieces of flimsy plastic in the front wheel wells. It took 10 minutes. No more rubbing, except at full crank in exit/entry level (which I rarely use). I did not do anything else to the truck (no levelling, no lift, no spacers). The tires are great. Only slightly louder than the stock tires. The speedometer now reads about 3-4 mph lower than actual at highway speed. Photos are at normal ride height. I've put about 500 miles on them so far, including highway and some limited off-road.

Attachments

• IMG_6201.JPG
    IMG_6201.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6208.JPG
    IMG_6208.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6197.JPG
    IMG_6197.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6204.JPG
    IMG_6204.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 136

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After reviewing several forum threads (thank you all), I installed Toyo Open Country ATIII's size 285/55R22 on my '21 Limited. They only rubbed at full turn of the steering wheel, and mainly in the lowest ride height. So I took a pair of scissors and trimmed a few small pieces of flimsy plastic in the front wheel wells. It took 10 minutes. No more rubbing, except at full crank in exit/entry level (which I rarely use). I did not do anything else to the truck (no levelling, no lift, no spacers). The tires are great. Only slightly louder than the stock tires. The speedometer now reads about 3-4 mph lower than actual at highway speed. Photos are at normal ride height. I've put about 500 miles on them so far, including highway and some limited off-road.
That looks great. I had the AT3 285/50/22’s, and if I were to do it again, I’d get the 285/55 instead.

Jorangel87

Reaction score
They E load range. How’s the ride stiffer for sure right? I juts heard to many people say you feel every imperfection on the road due to the E load 10 ply tires stiffer walls.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They E load range. How’s the ride stiffer for sure right? I juts heard to many people say you feel every imperfection on the road due to the E load 10 ply tires stiffer walls.
People have wild imaginations. I've had them on little 2 door jeeps (not the luxury yachts they call jeeps today) and never noticed the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread