5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BIG payload surprise - 2020 Ram 1500 Limited

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The payload numbers reflect a FULL tank of fuel. This is one of the reasons that opting for the 33 gallon fuel tank results in a 73 lb payload reduction. About half of that weight is the weight of the additional fuel.
Wrong about fuel.

the part about registration is true about that being the only legal worry.

But the truck does have a limit. And the axle limits are more than gross vehicle rating...but maxing them is not the answer.

But, towing is an opinion. I tow below max and relax. My opinion.
I’m speaking specifically on how this number on the door jamb sticker is generated, not the generic tow charts-
gCSqHgu.jpg

Each truck is built and weighed exactly with 5 gallons of fuel. They do not fill the tank up, tare the truck, generate the sticker, then remove all but 5 gallons of fuel. Then they test drive for 7-13 miles, and deliver the truck with whatever fuel is remaining.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. With many people going to the scales to weigh their trucks...i believe it is with full fuel.

We have pages and pages and CAT scale slip after CAT scale slip that say otherwise.

But I will research this new information.

Thank you for pointing this out. I feel like i need to empty my truck and go scale it again. This is not what i have found to be true. But, I learn something everyday.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tell people 3 times a day that the charts are not accurate...i am not disagreeing with that.

My guess,unless you actually have seen or been involved with the weighing process is that they weigh it with the 5 gallons or even empty, and then calculate the fuel weight for the specific tank.

7100 GVWR
3900 GAWR. Front
4100 GAWR. Rear

Axle weight is 8000. But, I do not believe you can load the truck to 8000 and it be safe. When coming to a stop or pulling out...the weight will be transferred to each axle and could cause failure. Like the Demon with launch technology takes advantage of this if you get what I mean.

Also...atleast in Pennsylvania 7100 GVWR is a class 3 sticker. I am sure very few people have their truck registered that way. And I do believe to be completely within the law you truly have to register your GCWR, but no one does that.

Towing is an opinion. I keep mine well below maximum.
Screenshot_20200526-084249~2.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What that also means is you could be so inclined to have your tank at half full and load some extra weight.:cool:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On another site I just had this argument. He first thought it was way off. I explained you are aloted a full tank. He then said he was 41 pounds off. I told him to weigh his bed cover or take it off.

Spot on

dougf

Reaction score
I’m speaking specifically on how this number on the door jamb sticker is generated, not the generic tow charts-
Each truck is built and weighed exactly with 5 gallons of fuel. They do not fill the tank up, tare the truck, generate the sticker, then remove all but 5 gallons of fuel. Then they test drive for 7-13 miles, and deliver the truck with whatever fuel is remaining.

I'm not disagreeing, but this would imply that wording on the sticker is misleading. It specifically states "Occupants and CARGO should not exceed...". I can't imagine FCA would assume owners would consider fuel weight when calculating cargo weight. Based on your responses, it seems that you have experience with the process and know first hand how it is done, so it is good information that I will go with. In any case, I think I will take devildog's advice .. "Go to a CAT scale. Do not exceed 3900 steer 4100 drive and a total of 17000 with 3.92" to confirm that I am within limits.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
gCSqHgu.jpg

You are mistaken. Just as an example, the day after I took delivery of my truck I drove to a nearby truck stop. Filled the tank with fuel and weighed it at the cat scale. The GVWR minus the scaled weight matched the door payload sticker (within 20 lbs, the cat scales weigh in 20lb increments). I have the 33 gallon tank. If only 5 gallons of fuel were included in the payload sticker the truck would have been much heavier (~6lbs per gallon) with 33 gallons of fuel.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are mistaken. Just as an example, the day after I took delivery of my truck I drove to a nearby truck stop. Filled the tank with fuel and weighed it at the cat scale. The GVWR minus the scaled weight matched the door payload sticker (within 20 lbs, the cat scales weigh in 20lb increments). I have the 33 gallon tank. If only 5 gallons of fuel were included in the payload sticker the truck would have been much heavier (~6lbs per gallon) with 33 gallons of fuel.
The most I can tell you guys is, the method I described to generate that number on the sticker is not a guess.

zappel

Reaction score
I drove the 2500, back to back with the 3500. Honestly both ride rough compared to the 1500, it really is an incredibly good drive. I felt the payload increase was not enough, if I remember correctly around 2000 pds on the Limited 2500. I just got back from a weekend trip, the 3500 diesel is a dream towing, secure, powerful and never feels like the TT has a hint of sway. Got 12.8 MPG in fairly hilly area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zappel

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to think hard before backing out, since, according to other responses I should be ok, but I am right at the limit. My primary use is light, with very occasional towing ... although towing trips can be up to 1000 round trip highway and a few short camping trips a year. Probably only 5-7% of the miles will be towing. I really look forward to the driving experience in the 1500 Limited when not towing. I guess I'm curious why you went all the way to a 3500 instead of a 2500. If I do move up, I think a 2500 would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisnack

Reaction score
My Limited shows up at 1224 payload and 8024 towing.

Didn't know it was so reduced, but also didn't know about this forum before i bought the truck. Add it to a number of reasons that I'm beginning to not like the truck :(

ktl5005

Reaction score
Basically if you towing routinely a TT and the weight is over 6k your better off with a 2500, simple as that.
I only tow a 6x12 aluminum open trailer with a SXS that’s weighs about 2k, so I opted for the 1500 Limited and with 3.21. If I had or was looking for a camper, I’d go right to a 2500

chrisnack

Reaction score
Basically if you towing routinely a TT and the weight is over 6k your better off with a 2500, simple as that.
I only tow a 6x12 aluminum open trailer with a SXS that’s weighs about 2k, so I opted for the 1500 Limited and with 3.21. If I had or was looking for a camper, I’d go right to a 2500

Agree 100%, lesson learned. I'm just more shocked at the difference in towing vs my previous F150... the F150 towed our 5500lb TT significantly better. So i'm figuring out a few things i can do to make the RAM tow better, but if i can't improve it. I'll be dumping the truck i guess. I also think towing a TT is very different from other loads given the large profile for wind/sway etc.

Just bummed, like the truck, but towing our TT in the summer is a normal thing.

ktl5005

Reaction score
Agree 100%, lesson learned. I'm just more shocked at the difference in towing vs my previous F150... the F150 towed our 5500lb TT significantly better. So i'm figuring out a few things i can do to make the RAM tow better, but if i can't improve it. I'll be dumping the truck i guess. I also think towing a TT is very different from other loads given the large profile for wind/sway etc.

Just bummed, like the truck, but towing our TT in the summer is a normal thing.
Part of the issue also is the new Ram have independent rears while the fords still run solid tests, that plays into payload and towing capacity also.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Part of the issue also is the new Ram have independent rears while the fords still run solid tests, that plays into payload and towing capacity also.

I assumed that made a difference, it's on me, i just didn't think about it. I assumed 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The most I can tell you guys is, the method I described to generate that number on the sticker is not a guess.
I can completely agree with you about how you describe they weigh it.

I also believe, since you seem sure this is how they weigh the truck, that they then calculate the remaining fuel based on tank size.

The payload sticker on the door is GVWR minus base weight.

Base weight is no passenger or cargo, full fluids.

Base weight includes full fuel.

The payload sticker does not mean you also lose the weight of gas except 5 gallons. It means, with a full tank of gas you can add that much passengers, cargo til you hit GVWR.

What you are implying also means the amount to GVWR would be less if you filled the truck...see the logic. Meaning, you are saying if you filled your truck...you would have less than the door sticker for cargo and passengers. See why i believe you are wrong.

You start with a full tank and then as gas goes out you can actually add something.

I stand by my statement that payload is occupants and cargo...gas is part of base weight.

I do agree with how the truck is shipped.

By golly we have had plenty of people think the 5 extra gallons of fuel means their 23 gallon tank is 28...obvious to those who know...that it means they put 5 gallons of gas in the 23 gallon tank.

Lots of angry people at one time because of this.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Well the towing capacity at 8k is disappointing, but the payload of 1000lbs, that looks to be a deal breaker.
Tongue weight of TT 600lbs, hitch 100lbs, me @ 190lbs, and we're left 100lbs before my wife or anything else is in the vehicle...

Guess i get to lose my *** trading in on a 4 month old Limited.... sigh...

Polo08816

Reaction score
At this point, we have provided so much information about this that I can no longer feel the pain.

A Limited is only surpassed by a Laramie Longhorn in the amount of base weight

The configurations are just that...a configuration. When you use the chart or the online configurator you are getting the base truck in that configuration.

Crew Cab 5'7 bed 4x4 Hemi. That is a configuration.

When you put in your VIN you get the accurate measurement of all your options. And they are heavy and add up fast.

Also, one more time, Max towing is with only 300lbs of cargo 70lbs for hitch and 10% tongue weight.

That 300 lbs is for all passengers, gear, water bottles, chips, hand sanitizer, tow straps, etc..you get the point. I weigh 295 myself.

And most safe setups require 12 to 14 % tongue weight to haul correctly.

So unless you and your passenger weigh under 300lbs and you take nothing else in the truck...you will never hit it.

Pages and pages of threads now describing this.

Sorry, @dougf you are not the first to fall into this...but I sure hope with all the info we post you may be one of the last.

We try our best to explain this every time it happens.

Laramie Long horn is heavier than a Limited?

I'm interested in seeing what the payload rating is for a similar Limited but without the E-Torque system, RamBox, and Multi function tailgate. Also, would the Off-Road package have an impact on the payload rating? I would probably opt out of the Off Road package and get the Trailer Tow package.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Laramie Long horn is heavier than a Limited?

I'm interested in seeing what the payload rating is for a similar Limited but without the E-Torque system, RamBox, and Multi function tailgate. Also, would the Off-Road package have an impact on the payload rating? I would probably opt out of the Off Road package and get the Trailer Tow package.
Here’s mine. Limited w/o eTorque, no ram box, and reg tailgate.

1593925456390.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread