5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicycle Hauling

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Hello, I am curious how everyone is hauling their bicycles around with their trucks. There are a few options that I see: 1) removing the front wheel and attaching bike to a frame system 2) hang bikes over a tailgate cover system (such as the tailgate cover made by Dakine) 3) simply lay bikes flat in the bed of truck.

I do not really want to mess around with taking the front wheel off. I was exploring the idea of engineering something with the Bed Utility Group (BUG) rail system. Toying around with the idea of designing a bar that goes a couple inches perpendicular to the rail and clamping the bikes to that somehow so that they stand straight up but gives some clearance from the Lomax Tonneau cover rails I have. and do not want the bike to lean against the Tonneau cover rail and would like to have some sort of bracket system that is easily removable. Anyways just looking for ideas on how everyone else does it with their bikes. Photos would be great! Thanks.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far I've just thrown them laying down in the bed. However, if I'm hauling other stuff simultaneously I would like another option as well. I'm following the thread to see other people's solutions.

RPeezy

Reaction score
I like hitch racks from Kuat, like this: https://www.kuatracks.com/products/hitch/nv-2-0/
The are expensive, though.

Alternatively, you can add these utility bars: https://store.mopar.com//accessorie...d_side_rails/sport_utility_bars_82215789.html

I think pretty much any rack designed for roof racks or load bars will work with those (like from Thule, etc.), or you can add the Mopar one:

Nateffb

Reaction score
Right now I’m just laying my bike in the bed. My last truck the tailgate pad was fantastic and for me is the ideal way to transport bikes, but I’m having issues making it work. I’m currently working on a mod to make the pad usable. I’ll post pics when I got it sorted.

Wolf

Reaction score
I always used a hitch mount bike rack. Leaves your bed open for other items, plus you don't have to climb in your bed to get your bikes or worry about them getting damaged.

Plenty of options here that get great reviews.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I have an expensive carbon bike. I lay it on top of my daughters mountain bike in the bed. It’s secure, safe, easy in and out, no fuss.

Leaving bikes on a bike rack makes them easy to steal locked or not. I don’t want it in the truck as bike components are sharp and cut leather with ease.

I don’t mind a few rubs or dings on the bike as bikes are tough and so are truck beds. strapping it down in the bed is easy with the factory four corner hitches if that’s a concern. No way I’d spent the money on a hitch rack or bother with a Thule rack on a pickup

If you don’t have a cover for the bed put it in the cab and buy a cheap blanket to cover the gears and put the seats up

runamuck

Reaction score
for our two mountain bikes I turn the handle bars parallel with front wheel and lay down in the truck bed gear cluster side up. that way I can close my Bakflip cover.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
In my Jeep I would pop off the front wheel which has a quick release mechanism; took literally 10 seconds to pop off and put on each time. It's not hard on the bike at all as that is what the quick release is designed for.

In my new truck, I just lay it flat and bungie cord it to the 2 diagonal corners. It fits perfectly in the short box without pulling off the wheel.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
How secure is it in the center of the tailgate like that? It seems too thick there, but I’ve never tried it. Oh and nice Capra.

Yeah I saw another trucker do it with his bikes. Hes been doing it for years and never had even a scratch on the tailgate or his bike. I have done it for over a year now and it stays on no problem. It may tiltone way or the other like 10 degrees tops, but it has never dislodged. I use a bungee cord strapping it down sometimes , but that is just to avoid it from tilting slightly. It is secure without it, no problem.

Thanks for the compliment :)

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I was also thinking on figuring out a way to utilize the BUG rails (over engineering for sure as the lay down method is easy and works great although takes up a lot of bed space, or the over the tailgate with a blanket seems good too). I found this on the net and it is exactly what I am envisioning only it would need to come straight out from the BUG rail instead of sitting on top of the side of the bed. I wonder if I could find or design something with unistruts that might work exactly like this but come out of the BUG rail. I have the Lomax rail on top of the BUG rail and that is why this will not work as it is:
27277 27281 27280

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was also thinking on figuring out a way to utilize the BUG rails (over engineering for sure as the lay down method is easy and works great although takes up a lot of bed space, or the over the tailgate with a blanket seems good too). I found this on the net and it is exactly what I am envisioning only it would need to come straight out from the BUG rail instead of sitting on top of the side of the bed. I wonder if I could find or design something with unistruts that might work exactly like this but come out of the BUG rail. I have the Lomax rail on top of the BUG rail and that is why this will not work as it is:
View attachment 27277 View attachment 27281 View attachment 27280
What is the name of this one? Link?

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
View attachment 27277 View attachment 27281 View attachment 27280
I like this idea! Doesn't feel over engineered at all. Takes up less space and is elegant. The blanket over the bike is definitely my go-to for short trips from home to the trails. However for bike trips, I have bike racks installed on top of the bed, with this method I can tow a camper while still towing 4 bikes (1 for each family member) no problem.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Now I am not sure if this would work or not but perhaps I could do something as simple as getting a Unistrut Channel Nut and insert into the BUG rail (assuming they are compatible, I am thinking the ones made for the 1 5/8" framing might work? After the Channel Nut is installed, I think I could use a longish Eye Bolt and throw a nylon or velcro or short belt type strap through the eye bolt and around the bike frame. Think it could work?
27292 27293

Users who are viewing this thread