5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicycle Hauling

jpaudet

Reaction score
Hello, I am curious how everyone is hauling their bicycles around with their trucks. There are a few options that I see: 1) removing the front wheel and attaching bike to a frame system 2) hang bikes over a tailgate cover system (such as the tailgate cover made by Dakine) 3) simply lay bikes flat in the bed of truck.

I do not really want to mess around with taking the front wheel off. I was exploring the idea of engineering something with the Bed Utility Group (BUG) rail system. Toying around with the idea of designing a bar that goes a couple inches perpendicular to the rail and clamping the bikes to that somehow so that they stand straight up but gives some clearance from the Lomax Tonneau cover rails I have. and do not want the bike to lean against the Tonneau cover rail and would like to have some sort of bracket system that is easily removable. Anyways just looking for ideas on how everyone else does it with their bikes. Photos would be great! Thanks.
It’s maybe not what you looking for but I really like this rack. Can use my tailgate and bring my 4 bikes while using the bed for luggage’s during family vacations. You can swipe it across the truck with the bikes on it.

Attachments

• C927FC83-2C1C-44D3-AAFB-6DD9C19C6B4A.jpeg
    C927FC83-2C1C-44D3-AAFB-6DD9C19C6B4A.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 364
  • 7065A27F-FFB6-40FF-9E00-CA54F3CE45F2.jpeg
    7065A27F-FFB6-40FF-9E00-CA54F3CE45F2.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 365
  • E726C9E9-631D-4858-A367-087613CDFEA3.jpeg
    E726C9E9-631D-4858-A367-087613CDFEA3.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 342

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just get an inexpensive hitch rack. Easy on the back, no risk of damage to the truck or your bikes, gives versatility to choose how many bikes you want to transport. Plus in the event you go somewhere with friends or need to take extra bikes for whatever reason the bed is still open to lay others down.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I have some expensive bikes and prefer to not have any attachment points other than on the wheels. Nothing touching the frame. For this reason I like the hitch racks from whomever like Kuat/Yakima/Thule, etc. In the past I have used a front mounted hitch receiver so I could still utilize my tailgate easily and also pull my camper and not fill up my bed with bikes when we go camping. The downside to the front hitch would be if you wrecked but so far that has never been an issue. The hitch mounts fold up and out the way when not being used.

Nateffb

Reaction score
I keep my bed about 45-60% full most of the time and have a tonneau cover and try to ride often without taking my cargo out or cover off. I have a bedrug liner so that blocks me from theading the straps from my tailgate pad under it, and honestly it’s really annoying trying to get that ish through there every time even if I didn’t have this liner. If my mod for the straps doesn’t pan out I might go with the moving blanket for a while.

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
I'm either going to make a rack that goes between the bed rails, or cheese out and get something like this.

I like this solution a lot. When I had a Tacoma I installed a couple of thru-fork mounts on the front bed rail (like the side rails on the BUG, the Tacoma has one on the front of the bed by the cab) and this is similar.
If you have the side bed rails it wouldn't be hard to buy a piece of 1" - 2" square steel tube, cut it to length, have someone tack weld a couple of steel tabs on the end and bolt it to the side rails. Spray it with some bedliner and bolt on a couple of the thru-fork quik release mounts with some stainless steel hardware and you have the same solution for under $100.
Depends on your level of DIY level and if you're cheap like me :D.

Wes

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I have really expensive Mountain bikes (most expensive being $10k) and have used the 1up USA hitch rack for years. Super fast to load the bike and easy to secure with wheel locks and giant chains so that only someone with some serious cutting tools can steal it. The draw back is the constant parking sensor alarms every time you go in reverse (I don't like to remove the rack when not in use). When I got the Ram, I used a Dakine DLX curve over the tailgate and locked the bike to the hooks on the bed sides if necessary. I left the tailgate pad on at all times. Since getting the Bakflip MX4, taking the tailgate pad on and off was a pain in the *** so lately I have just been laying the bike flat in the bed. I may try to see if I can slide the MX4 forward enough to see if I can keep the pad installed and still close the cover but I doubt there will be enough forward space to clear the tailgate pad and lock the tonneau cover. To make matters worse, I know of a guy who just had his tailgate fail and open on the freeway and destroy 3 MTB's worth a total of almost $15k when they fell off onto the freeway. It was on a 2012 Dodge Ram.....he's transported his bikes that way a million times. I really want a set it and forget it solution that won't mess with any of the truck system features like parking sensors that I can leave on year round (live in California so it's usually ALWAYS riding season.) As it stands, lay flat seems like to only one bike solution with the MX4 installed that will prevent me from having to spend time installing a tailgate pad or hitch rack every time I ride. I have been thinking of trying out either the Vortrak or other sliding/power version which would possibly allow me to keep the tailgate pad installed while still being able to close & lock the tonneau cover when not carrying any bikes.

1up USA Hitch Rack

Dakine DLX Curve Tailgate pad

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I keep my bed about 45-60% full most of the time and have a tonneau cover and try to ride often without taking my cargo out or cover off. I have a bedrug liner so that blocks me from theading the straps from my tailgate pad under it, and honestly it’s really annoying trying to get that ish through there every time even if I didn’t have this liner. If my mod for the straps doesn’t pan out I might go with the moving blanket for a while.
Tailgate pad straps are a pain in the ***, i'm thinking of using some type of quick clip to make the buckling faster, just haven't got around to it.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have really expensive Mountain bikes (most expensive being $10k) and have used the 1up USA hitch rack for years. Super fast to load the bike and easy to secure with wheel locks and giant chains so that only someone with some serious cutting tools can steal it. The draw back is the constant parking sensor alarms every time you go in reverse (I don't like to remove the rack when not in use). When I got the Ram, I used a Dakine DLX curve over the tailgate and locked the bike to the hooks on the bed sides if necessary. I left the tailgate pad on at all times. Since getting the Bakflip MX4, taking the tailgate pad on and off was a pain in the *** so lately I have just been laying the bike flat in the bed. I may try to see if I can slide the MX4 forward enough to see if I can keep the pad installed and still close the cover but I doubt there will be enough forward space to clear the tailgate pad and lock the tonneau cover. To make matters worse, I know of a guy who just had his tailgate fail and open on the freeway and destroy 3 MTB's worth a total of almost $15k when they fell off onto the freeway. It was on a 2012 Dodge Ram.....he's transported his bikes that way a million times. I really want a set it and forget it solution that won't mess with any of the truck system features like parking sensors that I can leave on year round (live in California so it's usually ALWAYS riding season.) As it stands, lay flat seems like to only one bike solution with the MX4 installed that will prevent me from having to spend time installing a tailgate pad or hitch rack every time I ride. I have been thinking of trying out either the Vortrak or other sliding/power version which would possibly allow me to keep the tailgate pad installed while still being able to close & lock the tonneau cover when not carrying any bikes.

1up USA Hitch Rack
View attachment 27306

View attachment 27307

I hear you about all of you points, but just so you know, when you want you all you need to do is hit the toggle switch on the console to turn off the sensors.

Nateffb

Reaction score
Tailgate pad straps are a pain in the ***, i'm thinking of using some type of quick clip to make the buckling faster, just haven't got around to it.

I just ordered these to clip on the bottom of the tailgate, and was thinking about a Velcro strip on the inside of the tailgate to hold it there. They’ll probably work but they were quite a bit wider than the straps so it’s a bit wonky. It also only came in a 2 pack(thought it was 4) and I’m gonna need 3 for my raceface pad.

Rightline Gear Car Back Carrier Car Clips for Vehicles Without Roof Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YS3V88/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uTT9CbBYMEW11

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I just ordered these to clip on the bottom of the tailgate, and was thinking about a Velcro strip on the inside of the tailgate to hold it there. They’ll probably work but they were quite a bit wider than the straps so it’s a bit wonky. It also only came in a 2 pack(thought it was 4) and I’m gonna need 3 for my raceface pad.

Rightline Gear Car Back Carrier Car Clips for Vehicles Without Roof Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YS3V88/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uTT9CbBYMEW11
I was gonna try something like this but unsure of whether or not there is space to fit under the tailgate.
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-R...&s=gateway&sprefix=quick+clip,aps,501&sr=8-24

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
I hear you about all of you points, but just so you know, when you want you all you need to do is hit the toggle switch on the console to turn off the sensors.
I know I can turn off the sensors, but I want to find a way to keep the sensors active. I ride year round and if I had my hitch rack installed year round I would never have the use of my rear parking sensors.

CornTrucks

Reaction score
I like my hitch-mounted bike rack. It is compatible with any vehicle with a hitch (like my wife’s SUV). They can be inexpensive, carry several bikes, leave your pickup bed free, and protect your bikes from banging into each other just piled in the pickup bed (my previous method).

DM-SC

Reaction score
I used a board with the various mounts attached.

I need to get another 2x6 for the Ram. I cut the one from my 2014 Ram so it would fit in the bed of my 2019 Ridgeline (failed downsizing experiment!)

Here it is in my Ridgeline.
b192ece75f8c2881832c5df85a9c0f02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rgberg

Reaction score
If you guys are worried about over engineering, maybe this product isn't for you. Also, not to mention the price is steep. Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning Ride88 because I am very happy with their product. Got the single QR3 quick kit and added a second QR3 attachment later. You place a bar across the width of the bed, easily snap the attachments to it, and clamp down your front tire. I put the attachments up every time I go out riding and take them down afterwards to get my Lomax tonneau cover back on (I keep the bar on). Whole process takes about 15 minutes. The only downside I see is that if you have the 5'7 bed, you will have to drive with the tailgate down.

Attachments

• IMG_8938.JPG
    IMG_8938.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 244

Ram92131

Reaction score

1up USA Hitch Rack
View attachment 27306

View attachment 27307
I’m planning to get one of these Dakine tailgate pads. I like BostonBlueRam’s blanket solution but want something a little more elegant. This has a cutout for the backup cam too.

For a Rambox truck like mine I imagine we need to go with a smaller pad, like maybe one designed for a Tacoma or Colorado? Anyone with a Rambox have one?

mharringer

Reaction score
I bought the Latchit Rack system. Have to say I am liking it better all the time. Takes seconds to put on and take off, gives a ton of bed space, secure, 5 bikes (RamBox takes up a bit of space). Only downside is the camera has a beautiful view of the ground. I have some pics of it on my truck if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/