5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bicycle Hauling

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Lomax cover that is completely removed when open so there should be no problem with the rear wheels to the cab (no horizontal rail on back bed wall). The rails do however go down the sides of the truck which would push the bikes out a couple inches from the sides of the beds. The rails are pretty sturdy but still only held on by clamps therefore I would like to have the bikes perfectly vertical if possible without leaning against the rails. The bolts would need to extend from the bug rail enough to push the bike out a bit is what I am thinking.
I love the simplicity, I'll probably do this as well until I have need for something over-bed or on hitch.
2 u bolts from home depot for like 3 bucks each and a set of hook and loop straps off of amazon for $15 cheap fast and works great. I'll try and get a shot with the one of the bikes loaded up. The red lines are where the rear tires sit and I just strap the wheel to the u bolt.
1575590099260.png

theonlyMcG

Reaction score
Does this lock into the rails or is it kept in place by tension?
Tension, it sits on top of the rails. There is something you can build with Inno rack parts that uses the rails I believe but you have to piece it together.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Matt92037

Reaction score
I usually ride alone and have been folding up the rear seats and putting my bike inside (with front wheel off). Like others in this thread my bikes are all expensive and i am a bit paranoid having them exposed in the bed etc living in SoCal. A battery operated die grinder makes quick work of virtually any lock in 30 seconds or less so i dont want to take that chance.

i do have a Kuat NV that i use for day trips to the mountains with buddies. Nice rack.

Florida Ranger

Reaction score
Hello, I am curious how everyone is hauling their bicycles around with their trucks. There are a few options that I see: 1) removing the front wheel and attaching bike to a frame system 2) hang bikes over a tailgate cover system (such as the tailgate cover made by Dakine) 3) simply lay bikes flat in the bed of truck.

I do not really want to mess around with taking the front wheel off. I was exploring the idea of engineering something with the Bed Utility Group (BUG) rail system. Toying around with the idea of designing a bar that goes a couple inches perpendicular to the rail and clamping the bikes to that somehow so that they stand straight up but gives some clearance from the Lomax Tonneau cover rails I have. and do not want the bike to lean against the Tonneau cover rail and would like to have some sort of bracket system that is easily removable. Anyways just looking for ideas on how everyone else does it with their bikes. Photos would be great! Thanks.
I got a bike rack that fits in my trailer hitch receiver. I also use it on my motorhome.

Midnight1988

Reaction score
Hello, I am curious how everyone is hauling their bicycles around with their trucks. There are a few options that I see: 1) removing the front wheel and attaching bike to a frame system 2) hang bikes over a tailgate cover system (such as the tailgate cover made by Dakine) 3) simply lay bikes flat in the bed of truck.

I do not really want to mess around with taking the front wheel off. I was exploring the idea of engineering something with the Bed Utility Group (BUG) rail system. Toying around with the idea of designing a bar that goes a couple inches perpendicular to the rail and clamping the bikes to that somehow so that they stand straight up but gives some clearance from the Lomax Tonneau cover rails I have. and do not want the bike to lean against the Tonneau cover rail and would like to have some sort of bracket system that is easily removable. Anyways just looking for ideas on how everyone else does it with their bikes. Photos would be great! Thanks.

I have a two bike setup I attach to my hitch when I’m riding with others and when I ride alone, I mount above the bed with yakima bars and bike carrier.
e9fc08a5f5eef4ee465355bd93da3f99.jpg

-Midnight @midnight_the1500

Laramie 5’ 7” 4x4 Crew Cab
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl
Level 2 Equipment Group
19–Speaker Harman Kardon Premium Sound, Blind–Spot with Cross–Path Detection, HD Radio, Heated Second–Row Seats, ParkSense Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers, Rear Under–Seat Compartment Storage, Remote Tailgate–Release, Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split–Recline Seat Single–Disc Remote CD Player, Tailgate–Ajar Warning Lamp, Uconnect 4C NAV with 12–Inch Display, Front and Rear Rubber Floor Mats, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle, 5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine, Panoramic sunroof, Power Running Boards, Rear Wheelhouse–Liners , 33–Gallon Fuel Tank, 20” polished rims, drop in bed liner

Items installed after purchase:
RetraxPro MX Tonneau Cover, Yakima crossbars and Bike rack, Mopar 2” lift kit, Ceramic Coated, Tinted windows, AMP research side step 2.0, Lasfit Auto lighting for third brake light, K&N drop in air and cabin filter, Suspension and Transfer Case skid plates, 285/65R20 BF Goodrich KO2s, Wilco offset hitchgate.

clambouse3

Reaction score
Whenever you are planning to move the bike to the new place then the main thing as the owner of the bike would be mainly concerned about the safety and to maintain the safety of the bike it would be better if you will move in to the closed bike transportation so that it will be in a secure zone and even if you are moving it in the truck make sure that you tie it with a piece of rope so that it does not move here and there.

Midnight1988

Reaction score

May i ask about the hooks on the top of the truck bed. Where’d you get them.

-Midnight @midnight_the1500

Laramie 5’ 7” 4x4 Crew Cab
Diamond Black Crystal Pearl
Level 2 Equipment Group
19–Speaker Harman Kardon Premium Sound, Blind–Spot with Cross–Path Detection, HD Radio, Heated Second–Row Seats, ParkSense Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers, Rear Under–Seat Compartment Storage, Remote Tailgate–Release, Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split–Recline Seat Single–Disc Remote CD Player, Tailgate–Ajar Warning Lamp, Uconnect 4C NAV with 12–Inch Display, Front and Rear Rubber Floor Mats, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio, Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle, 5.7–Liter V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine, Panoramic sunroof, Power Running Boards, Rear Wheelhouse–Liners , 33–Gallon Fuel Tank, 20” polished rims, drop in bed liner

Items installed after purchase:
RetraxPro MX Tonneau Cover, Yakima crossbars and Bike rack, Mopar 2” lift kit, Ceramic Coated, Tinted windows, AMP research side step 2.0, Lasfit Auto lighting for third brake light, K&N drop in air and cabin filter, Suspension and Transfer Case skid plates, 285/65R20 BF Goodrich KO2s, Wilco offset hitchgate.

Users who are viewing this thread