5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***BEWARE*** Corrupt tune for 5th gen Ram with Cummins

Rhaug300

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 Limited with the 6.7L Cummins. The day after I purchased the truck I order the full 4" straight pipe delete kit, AFE intake, EZ Lynk tune with GDP tunes pre-loaded, EGR valve and cooler delete kit and 24" Hartes wheels. I am a finatic about my truck being the best looking, performing and sounding it can be. Well, after doing about 6 months worth of research and watching no less than about 150 videos, I decided to change from the GDP switch on the fly 0-150hp tune to the one from Optimal Welding in British Columbia. I was fairly satisfied with the GDP tune but felt like there was a lot more I could get out of a tune for my truck. There just wasn't much of the "seat of the pants" difference with the GDP tune.

So about 5 days after I paid almost $1,000 for JUST THE TUNE, I had to reach back out to Optimal to have them actually upload the tunes on to my programmer. They had forgotten to do it I guess. I was like all giddy like a school girl and ran out to program my truck. I sat in the truck in 80 degree weather, sweating my face off and watched to make sure every single step was followed perfectly. I didn't even allow my phone screen to dim into the power saving mode while it was programming. Once finished, I cranked my truck up and the idle was up and down and up and down and up and down (surging) for about 4 cycles and then stalled out. I started it again and the same thing only it cut off sooner. I reprogrammed it again to one of their tunes that does not utilize the SOFT switch because they told me that the GDP switch wasn't compatible (despite the fact that it is EXACTLY the same switch, from the same manufacturer). Once the second tune was finished being installed I cranked it up again. It started and idled fine for about 3-4 seconds and stalled. After about an hour and a half of trying every tune they had for my truck, the truck would not stay running for any of the tunes.

I then installed their Return To Stock program and then returned to the GDP program that I knew worked perfectly for the last 4 months and guess what? No start. No crank, NOTHING. I was on the phone with Optimal and the guy there said he did some searching and had the exact same problem with 2 other 5th gen RAM trucks THAT DAY!!! He then asked me to run the DTC codes. I am a mechanic by trade so I know a little bit about running and reading codes. There were 2 new codes I had never seen. U1517, a code for no communication with sunroof (I don't have a sunroof) and C2202 which is a VIN mismatch between the ECM and the ABS or TCS module/computer. Long story short, Optimal, while yes they were trying to be helpful during the 2-3 hours of this ordeal, sent out a bad tune for the 5th gen RAMs. Their tune bricked my ECU. It is now at the dealer now and they are going to TRY to reflash the ECM, BCM, ABS and TCM modules with factory files. Then I will have to go install the GDP tune again in order to get it to start because all the emissions equipment has been removed. When I asked Optimal what help they were willing to offer me about the $370 tow bill, the $750 bill from the dealership, plus the $1000 I paid to them for a bad tune, they said it wasn't there fault and they couldn't do anything. Yes I am incredibly pissed about it but I joined this forum for the simple fact that I do not want anyone else to go through this with their truck. STAY AWAY FROM OPTIMAL WELDING'S TUNES on the 5th gen RAMs.

BTW, if anyone knows of a tune that will get me more power than the GDP tune, please let me know.

Attachments

• Optimal welding.jpg
    Optimal welding.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 24

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TL;DR

Everyone knows Optimal has zero customer support, their tunes are crap, and he doesn't stand behind them when things go sideways.

Had the OP done as much research as claimed, he would know this. Sorry for your troubles.

Stay stock, stay worry free.

Also, please don't link someone to a specific unrelated thread on HDRams.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You posted a link to the 2022 Ram HD Builds and orders thread. We don't want that rant dumping in an inappropriate thread.

I fixed it for you.

That said, he already posted in the general forum and it already got moved to the Diesel sub-forum. ;)

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
This forum should have been named 5thgen1500rams... So many HD posts here

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This forum should have been named 5thgen1500rams... So many HD posts here

As has been said before, there is a lot of crossover, so much of it is relevant.

You have no idea how much 1500 traffic we get over at HDRAMS. Especially when people have a big boy truck on order. LOL

KMach

Reaction score
Not sure I’d come online to blow someones doors down and admit to removing emissions devices off your truck publically. You are the reason why it’s difficult/impossible to get good tuning from the big guys. (Not that I would ever know who the good tuners are, that stuff is “illegal”)

Users who are viewing this thread