5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

whetrick1

Reaction score
My Pulsar that I installed just over a week ago is now acting up too! Ugh. It was throwing codes like crazy and accelerating on its own, even from a dead stop. Applying the brake did slow the motor and truck, but sheesh this is not safe. I will be talking to DiabloSport today regarding this issue. I hope it can be rectified as I was extremely happy with the product for a week.

I tried 2 pulsars and both gave me trouble about 2 weeks after install. Sent it back and got my money back. Going to buy a tuner so I an get a custom program on it.. Had one on my2016 Ram and didn't have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Pulsar that I installed just over a week ago is now acting up too! Ugh. It was throwing codes like crazy and accelerating on its own, even from a dead stop. Applying the brake did slow the motor and truck, but sheesh this is not safe. I will be talking to DiabloSport today regarding this issue. I hope it can be rectified as I was extremely happy with the product for a week.
Let us know how this turns out for you. I've had a Pulsar on my truck since about April and haven't had any issues. Although, the truck does occasionally alert to an issue with the electronic throttle control. If I turn the truck off, and then right back on, all but the engine light goes off and the truck runs fine. I need to take it to the dealership but just haven't made time to do so. And I don't know that this has anything to do with the Pulsar, as I believe other members who don't have the Pulsar are reporting the same issue. Plus, I really like the Pulsar's performance mode and I'd like to keep it if possible.

Captain Stack

Reaction score
If I turn the truck off, and then right back on, all but the engine light goes off and the truck runs fine. I need to take it to the dealership but just haven't made time to do so. And I don't know that this has anything to do with the Pulsar, as I believe other members who don't have the Pulsar are reporting the same issue. Plus, I really like the Pulsar's performance mode and I'd like to keep it if possible.

DiabloSport is sending me a new Pulsar unit. Once I removed the old unit and went back to just the factory computer connections, the truck has run fine and is not throwing any codes. The first codes thrown with the Pulsar installed were Throttle Body related as well.

I will report back once I install the new Pulsar unit.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DiabloSport is sending me a new Pulsar unit. Once I removed the old unit and went back to just the factory computer connections, the truck has run fine and is not throwing any codes. The first codes thrown with the Pulsar installed were Throttle Body related as well.

Hope the new one works for you, Captain.

barakutha

Reaction score
I’ve been having similar issues with mine.. and unfortunately it’s been increasing in frequency.

I’ll get a bunch of errors at once, and then have to turn the truck off and back on to have them go away.

Before cycling the truck, it won’t respond to throttle input, and occasionally will accelerate on its own, scary.

After restarting, the check engine light will stay on for a few startups and then eventually go away.

I really love performance mode, and hope diablo sport can find a fix soon. But it’s getting to the point that it’s safer to just remove it

2019 Limited 4x4 with ramboxes, no etourque
- Borla cat-back touring with resonator
- 20% ceramic tint all around and pano
- Mostly dechromed and debadged
- Leveled with Daystar spacers and revel links (0.5in rake)
- Nitto ridge grapplers 285/55r22 (34.6x11.7)

whetrick1

Reaction score
I’ve been having similar issues with mine.. and unfortunately it’s been increasing in frequency.

I’ll get a bunch of errors at once, and then have to turn the truck off and back on to have them go away.

Before cycling the truck, it won’t respond to throttle input, and occasionally will accelerate on its own, scary.

After restarting, the check engine light will stay on for a few startups and then eventually go away.

I really love performance mode, and hope diablo sport can find a fix soon. But it’s getting to the point that it’s safer to just remove it

I don't think Diablo makes the pulsar. They just sale it. I getting money up to buy the tuner with the extra computer. Had one on my 2016 with a custom tune and it worked flawlessly.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The company that makes Pulsar owns several sub-brands. They all sell the Pulsar.

I have been running the Pulsar about a year now without the issues other have seen. I suspect it's a grounding issue in the truck. We already know that the 19 Ram has a ton of electronics onboard and there has been a recall for bad grounds already. I made sure my ground was clean (scraped the surface) and made sure the ring connector on the ground wire and all mating surfaces between the ECU and Pulsar were clean. Nothing will work right with poor grounds. Any device you install yourself as an add-on depends on many factors to work right.

Limited_Ram

Reaction score
The company that makes Pulsar owns several sub-brands. They all sell the Pulsar.

I have been running the Pulsar about a year now without the issues other have seen. I suspect it's a grounding issue in the truck. We already know that the 19 Ram has a ton of electronics onboard and there has been a recall for bad grounds already. I made sure my ground was clean (scraped the surface) and made sure the ring connector on the ground wire and all mating surfaces between the ECU and Pulsar were clean. Nothing will work right with poor grounds. Any device you install yourself as an add-on depends on many factors to work right.
Exactly this. If you look at the problems people report with the Pulsar...it is the same exact problems that people are having with the trucks without any tuner. It’s the first year of a new gen truck with tons of onboard electronics. There are going to be electrical gremlins and kinks to work out

Lennstang

Reaction score

I've had my Pulsar installed since last April with no issues. The extra power is great and I love being able to switch between different levels of power. I did do the update to it when I first got it which has to be done with a cable hook to it from your laptop computer. I bet a lot of people having problems have not updated software to the current software. I'm going to try and do another update soon just in case the tune has been improved.

barakutha

Reaction score
I've had my Pulsar installed since last April with no issues. The extra power is great and I love being able to switch between different levels of power. I did do the update to it when I first got it which has to be done with a cable hook to it from your laptop computer. I bet a lot of people having problems have not updated software to the current software. I'm going to try and do another update soon just in case the tune has been improved.

Let us know if there's an update. Mine has been updated before.

What's strange is I only get the error messages when I'm in performance mode

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know if there's an update. Mine has been updated before.

What's strange is I only get the error messages when I'm in performance mode

The 19 Ram stability control system is overly sensitive to aggressive throttle mapping. I've noticed that with 4WD Auto on and Diff locked, I can launch hard on wet pavement and fault the vehicle stability control system. The vehicle will go permanently into limp mode and display a message to see the dealer. I plug in my $12 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter, fire up the $5 Torque app on my phone and reset ECU faults and all is well.

I think the wheel spin is so aggressive that it trips some limits. It only does it in Performance mode on slick surfaces in 4 Auto. I run it in Stock or Tow in those situations without any issues. I've read where the Pedal Commander does the same thing in higher settings. It's not the tuners fault in my opinion.

I've said it before, get an OBD2 interface and mobile app to read and reset codes if you want to play with these trucks. They are highly computerized and having the means to reset CELs can save you a tow and trip to the dealer! It's the best $20 you'll ever spend and will work on all passenger vehicles since 1996.

Last edited:

dinohuby

Reaction score
Ok the only benefit to the piggyback pulsar is that it doesn’t require the Pcm to be unlocked. As far as tunes etc they are junk. On the fly they adjust very minor items and make it seem things are better than they are but in reality just like 90 percent of all piggy back systems your not actually getting something worth a damn.

However since it is a piggy back system there are so many limitation because at the end of the day too many adjustments (which you can’t do really ) and the stock computer will catch onto it. You can only limited the data or manipulate the data being received by the stock computer so much. And the actual “tunes” within that device are junk due to the limitations. It’s amazing how some simple tricks of adjusting throttle response and reducing tq management and folks are tricked into thinking they didn’t just buy a pos.

First off edge, Superchips and Diablo are all the same company. (Powerteq )

That product is an edge product simple because that platform hasn’t really released anything in years worth a damn. So a marketing stunt and now edge has something to show on paper. Diablo used to be the top for dodge now since they can’t seem to keep the support current they are failing miserable. Try to tune a 2019 ram with Diablo and welp good luck. So many items in the templates are broken you can’t even turn off mds. And current oem software release ends with AK Diablo will downgrade your computer back to AE or AI so if you got a flash to fix an issue and want to use Diablo you just reverted back to a calibration. With the issue.

All 2015+ Chrysler pcms require an unlock no matter what tuning company you use. Or a purchase of an already unlocked Pcm. However when done this way you with the help of a tuner have full control. Pulsar can never touch a real tune on a stock Pcm. For all accounts. And with a real tune MDS can be fully disabled so it never comes on. So I’d suggest if you want real gains. Real MpG possibilities. Contact an HPTuners Dodge tuner. Get your Pcm unlocked and really tuned. Even for those folks who want to run 87. Even though the hemi engine was never designed to run on 87. The amount of KR produced is sad. And the amount of power the computer pulls because of it is amazing. 89 should be the min. Btw those running the pulsar with 87. That device simple doesn’t have the engine protection built into it as the stock computer does. 87 octane fuel on a hemi motor causes so much knock it’s crazy so in stock form the engine computer reduces timing which reduced power to protect the motor from detonation. If you think that piggyback device is going to do the same your highly wishful thinking. And just because you can change the octane level on the dash doesn’t mean you should. if you normally run a lower octane. And then Decide today I’m going to fill up with something better like 93 or so. It would take 2-3 tanks of fuel to actually have a true 93 octane level in your vehicle. So you should not make any adjustment to octane level until you’ve gone thru 2-3 tanks. Changing on the fly is basically making the above situation even worse and like I said since that picky back device doesn’t have the same protection you can damage your engine.

Yes due to the new remapping of the p1400 code in the Chrysler dtc library. You can get a code on the Pcm that won’t clear after a Pcm is unlocked. Diablo has yet to fix this. HPT I believe have disabled it on the back end so it never appears even if the Pcm is flashed by a dealer. This code started showing up at the end of 2016. On all dodge computers.

If you really want a tune don’t bother with that or any piggy back system. You’ve all said it your selves. Mds off doesn’t actually work. And thats because it’s not actually disabled. The piggy back is tricking the stock computer so it disengages it. In your reports a few have said it will bump the Rpms up. Or simulate you pressing the gas.

A real tune stops the system completely. Among many other things.

The problem is if you live in a stupid state like new york or california you getting it professionally tuned makes it illegal to drive on streets and the state actually finds out and sends you to a referee to verify that it has not been changed from stock. This happened to a friend of mine who had his computer unlocked and tuned and he had to buy a whole new computer from the dealer and instal it to get by the referee. Most of us cant really afford that or have the time to swap it out when ever we do a smog check but with a pulsar unit in stock nobody knows and my other friend who has a pulsar checked and it passed. For people who use thier trucks as trucks and not race cars the pulsar will do fine and if you want a race car get a corvette or demon!

Wheeler

Reaction score
Coming from someone who used 3 different Diablo products in past. For our truck best bang for your $ and feel good option Is throttle controller. I am playing with Vitesse Motorsports Throttle controller. Put almost 500 trouble free miles. It does what it say. Plus only one knob to play with. Truck spins tires on sport 7 and above. I got 3.21 gear ratio with 35 tires details in signature.

SColang22

Reaction score
Coming from someone who used 3 different Diablo products in past. For our truck best bang for your $ and feel good option Is throttle controller. I am playing with Vitesse Motorsports Throttle controller. Put almost 500 trouble free miles. It does what it say. Plus only one knob to play with. Truck spins tires on sport 7 and above. I got 3.21 gear ratio with 35 tires details in signature.
That's not a tuner though. If people want to tune a throttle controller is not what they are looking for.

fleck1017

Reaction score
So I’m new to RAM (GM convert) and about a week into ownership of my new 2020 Big Horn. I’ve always used Diablo tuners with my previous GM trucks but it looks like that’s not possible with the RAM without a PCM swap, which I’m not interested in. I love the idea of the Pulsar and it seems to get pretty good reviews here, but I can’t seem to find a 2020 version; does anyone know if the Pulsar that is designated for the 2019 will work with the 2020?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, welcome, congrats and so on. 19-20s will not work on tuning devices. Some changes have been done on 2020s

Bighorned

Reaction score
talked to Moes performance yesterday. The diablosport i3 with unlocked pcm is what im leaning towards. Just to keep my stock one. Seems like best bang for the buck and you can add tunes to it. like Hemifevers tunes which I hear are amazing. plus trans tuning supported for the new 8 spd now.

SColang22

Reaction score
talked to Moes performance yesterday. The diablosport i3 with unlocked pcm is what im leaning towards. Just to keep my stock one. Seems like best bang for the buck and you can add tunes to it. like Hemifevers tunes which I hear are amazing. plus trans tuning supported for the new 8 spd now.
I did the i3 with the spare pcm. Just returned it to get the T2. For the little extra money I think the upgrade is worth it. Last I looked it was less that a $100 difference. Also look at Jay Green for tunes.

Bighorned

Reaction score
I did the i3 with the spare pcm. Just returned it to get the T2. For the little extra money I think the upgrade is worth it. Last I looked it was less that a $100 difference. Also look at Jay Green for tunes.
thanks! how do you like the tune? big difference? Is the jay green tunes similar to the hemifever ones? Ive heard guys on here talking about the Jay Green ones

SColang22

Reaction score
thanks! how do you like the tune? big difference? Is the jay green tunes similar to the hemifever ones? Ive heard guys on here talking about the Jay Green ones
In my opinion hemifever does more of the same tune for everyone while jay personalizes it more. The can tunes are pretty good. Depends on what you are looking for but unless you have a lot of add ons outside of a CAI and exhaust I think the can tunes will be all you need. There is for sure a difference but I wouldn’t call it a big difference. Noticeable but not jaw dropping. Also depends how much throttle boost you give it. People love the pulsar cause on performance mode the throttle boost is as much as they safely can allow so it feels way quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread