5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

Tundralag

Reaction score
I can understand you -- most desire to keep it the way it is. For me....I like to make my purchases of cars or trucks the way I want them. I own an accessory modification business for Polaris Slingshots, some like to keep them stock and other like to do modifications that may or may not void the warranty – depending on who you ask. I have the means to do, I accept the responsibility of, therefor I choose to do. Again, I understand those who don’t wish to mod a 65K vehicle. I can remember when I modified my Mercedes AMG E55... it was 85K, a few folks said the same.... And I said, “because I can, and I accept the responsibility if I blow the engine”. I guess its just all about what each owner likes.
No it’s all good with me. I use to buy brand new snowmobiles (sleds) and modify the **** out of them. But we are talking 7- 15k sleds not 65k daily drivers with warranty that dealers and Ram are finding the smallest excuse to void you out

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why do we talk about tuners like they completely eliminate your whole entire warranty? Why would it void the whole entire warranty? Some folks don’t mind the risk on the engine, transmission and stuff... especially considering the hemis in these trucks are far from new engines.

lrobbi

Reaction score
No it’s all good with me. I use to buy brand new snowmobiles (sleds) and modify the **** out of them. But we are talking 7- 15k sleds not 65k daily drivers with warranty that dealers and Ram are finding the smallest excuse to void you out
I see your point. - Seperate issue... My wife has been talking about a Jet Ski... I said lets get one -if you dont mind me adding a few hp to it... She laughed at me and said - please please don't go over board. :D

SColang22

Reaction score
I guess it’s the same reason someone can say why buy two cars instead of one. People like to make things their own. If they can afford it let them do it

whetrick1

Reaction score
I believe if you are paying for it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It's your car or truck do what you want with it. If you enjoy modding it then do it. I'm all for making it your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valvoda112

Reaction score
I bought the Pedal Commander mainly to smooth out the shifting and throttle response on my 2019 Longhorn with 392 rear end. Bought off Amazon. Price reasonable and it does what I wanted it to do. Its just a way to tweak your throttle so that acceleration is smoother. If I smash the gas with 392 gear ratio its going to launch regardless which tuner I bought.
Did it help fuel mileage or not was thinkin about the same thing for my limited with the same rear gear to smooth out the shifts to

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any leads on removing the torque management from an otherwise stock truck? Is that in the custom tune category or do we have canned tunes that get this kind of thing done already? I looked around but didn't see a list of what a tune contains for mods.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
I just purchased a Pulsar unit and would like to give my feedback.

Pro's: The speedo correction is nice function.
Con's: I did have to lower my tire size from the tire manufacturer specs a little bit to get it spot on.

Pro's: MDS shut-off is a nice feature
Con's: It does not keep it off all the time like others have stated. I don't care for this so I go to manual mode with gear selector

Pro's: Throttle response is changed between modes which is nice. ECO = Lazy, Stock = Same, Tow = Med, Performance = Super touchy
Con's: None really

Pro's: Tow and Performance modes you can feel a difference in the mapping. Throttle response, timing (it will ping without good fuel), traction control (it spins tires easily in Performance mode). In ECO mode throttle is lazier and I am recording almost 1 mpg better but more time is needed to truly tell.
Con's: Really none here as all options are good IMO with a piggy back unit.

Pro's: Adjustability between modes is nice.
Con's: I can't make mine do this on the fly. I have to put the truck in park in order to switch modes. Not sure if this is in an update or if I am doing something wrong.
No Con's: Works fine now, user error.

Final Verdict: It's an easy decision for me as it is a good purchase. The under $500 is a no brainer as I tend to blow more than that on other stuff not as cool.

Next step for me: In discussions with Jay Greene to custom tune. Will probably go with a separate PCM so that I can go back to Stock easily. I did this with my 2012 Challenger as at the time the security was an issue to tune and then later was handled easily. If I learned anything from my 2012 Challenger these guys will figure out how to work around it and the costs will go down as time goes by.

Pulsar.jpeg

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
I just purchased a Pulsar unit and would like to give my feedback.

Pro's: The speedo correction is nice function.
Con's: I did have to lower my tire size from the tire manufacturer specs a little bit to get it spot on.

Pro's: MDS shut-off is a nice feature
Con's: It does not keep it off all the time like others have stated. I don't care for this so I go to manual mode with gear selector

Pro's: Throttle response is changed between modes which is nice. ECO = Lazy, Stock = Same, Tow = Med, Performance = Super touchy
Con's: None really

Pro's: Tow and Performance modes you can feel a difference in the mapping. Throttle response, timing (it will ping without good fuel), traction control (it spins tires easily in Performance mode). In ECO mode throttle is lazier and I am recording almost 1 mpg better but more time is needed to truly tell.
Con's: Really none here as all options are good IMO with a piggy back unit.

Pro's: Adjustability between modes is nice.
Con's: I can't make mine do this on the fly. I have to put the truck in park in order to switch modes. Not sure if this is in an update or if I am doing something wrong.

Final Verdict: It's an easy decision for me as it is a good purchase. The under $500 is a no brainer as I tend to blow more than that on other stuff not as cool.

Next step for me: In discussions with Jay Greene to custom tune. Will probably go with a separate PCM so that I can go back to Stock easily. I did this with my 2012 Challenger as at the time the security was an issue to tune and then later was handled easily. If I learned anything from my 2012 Challenger these guys will figure out how to work around it and the costs will go down as time goes by.

View attachment 32035

But with the pulsar I don’t think you can get a custom tune for it.

mustard54

Reaction score
Since I have the Jay Greene Tune now...I will be placing my Pulsar Edge up for Sale... 50% of the purchase price. I Liked it... it was an easy way to get that extra power.

What was the price on the spare PCM and tune? I have the Edge Pulsar too but thinking I might want a spare PCM with a tune instead. I only run in the full Performance mode anyway.

lrobbi

Reaction score
What was the price on the spare PCM and tune? I have the Edge Pulsar too but thinking I might want a spare PCM with a tune instead. I only run in the full Performance mode anyway.

I got mines from Moes-Performance - the PCM and i3 $919.00 http://www.moes-performance.com/Diablo_i3_w_Unlocked_ECU_for_2019_Ram_1500_5_7_p/i3-2019.htm

Jay Greene Tune, is separate and in my opinion is MUCH better than the Hemi-Fever Tune. You can reach him via Facebook.

Kensws6

Reaction score
I thought all FCA vehicles with the canbus system needed an aftermarket physically hacked ecu to be able to tune? For example they started using these in 2014 on the challengers so I assumed a brand new Ram would be like this. Have you seen information suggesting the tuner manufacturers have found a way around this now? I ask because you can always easily untune before a trip for service (and always should so they don’t brick your tuner) but swapping out an ecu is something different. Also the ecu really jacks up the price. I just checked and the diablosport only works on rams up to 2014 which makes me think they switched them at the same time as the challengers. The crappy mds stuff is probably the main reason I got etorque. In test drives it seemed to make it more tolerable. If I could have turned it off for the cost of another license on my diablosport I would have done that. Definitely post if you find something without an ecu swap cause there are a lot of nice things about a tune. Higher shift points and quicker throttle response are nice.
Anytime you go into your computer to make changes, it is saved on it so even if you put it back to stock they know the day and time that it was logged into, I am telling you it's not worth it because my buddy had a 2019 limited and he put a programmer on it and 6 months later he was having problems with the truck starting so he brought it in and then he got a call 3 hours later and the dealer told him he void the warranty because it showed it was played with, software that is. To get 30 hp ain't worth loosing your warranty. FYI

SColang22

Reaction score
Anytime you go into your computer to make changes, it is saved on it so even if you put it back to stock they know the day and time that it was logged into, I am telling you it's not worth it because my buddy had a 2019 limited and he put a programmer on it and 6 months later he was having problems with the truck starting so he brought it in and then he got a call 3 hours later and the dealer told him he void the warranty because it showed it was played with, software that is. To get 30 hp ain't worth loosing your warranty. FYI
This doesn’t make any sense. Tuners haven’t been out for 6 months. The only one out that long is the pulsar and that doesn’t have any change in your PCM.

whetrick1

Reaction score
This doesn’t make any sense. Tuners haven’t been out for 6 months. The only one out that long is the pulsar and that doesn’t have any change in your PCM.

I think if you buy the modified pcm they can’t tell because you’re not modifying the original pcm. When you switch it back.

Rig

Reaction score
I’m new here, but would like to share my experience with the Edge Pulsar. I bought and installed the Pulsar in November and immediately had issues (stability control, cruise control no longer worked and I had a check engine light). I immediately took the thing off, called Edge and they sent me a replacement. In the mean time I had to take my truck to the dealer to get everything working properly again. Once I got the replacement Pulsar I was nervous to install it and waited awhile before I decided to put it on. This time I had no issues and liked the performance setting until yesterday. I stopped to buy a drink, when I went to leave my truck died and wouldn’t restart. I ended up disconnecting the negative battery cable and the truck finally would start, but now I had stability control issues again and the check engine light on. I limped it home because it had reduced power. Took the Pulsar off and all my issues went away. I have no clue what happened, but I have had nothing but issues with the Edge Pulsar and will not be putting that PoS back onto my truck.

SColang22

Reaction score
I think if you buy the modified pcm they can’t tell because you’re not modifying the original pcm. When you switch it back.

They can still tell. Your miles won’t read the same on the PCM as on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online