5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

airgas1998

Reaction score
can I get some contact info for this jay greene tuner dude....thanks....

Last edited:

lrobbi

Reaction score
can I get some contact info for this jay greene tuner dude....thanks....

Jay Greene Racing is on FACE Book - here is the link,

and here is his email: JMGak47@gmailcom Please tell him, Lewis sent you... LOL :D
He is a great guy who answers all your questions.... I have sent hin a TONE of questions.

blownout1500

Reaction score
I’m new here, but would like to share my experience with the Edge Pulsar. I bought and installed the Pulsar in November and immediately had issues (stability control, cruise control no longer worked and I had a check engine light). I immediately took the thing off, called Edge and they sent me a replacement. In the mean time I had to take my truck to the dealer to get everything working properly again. Once I got the replacement Pulsar I was nervous to install it and waited awhile before I decided to put it on. This time I had no issues and liked the performance setting until yesterday. I stopped to buy a drink, when I went to leave my truck died and wouldn’t restart. I ended up disconnecting the negative battery cable and the truck finally would start, but now I had stability control issues again and the check engine light on. I limped it home because it had reduced power. Took the Pulsar off and all my issues went away. I have no clue what happened, but I have had nothing but issues with the Edge Pulsar and will not be putting that PoS back onto my truck.

SAME. It’s a time bomb. Anyone with a Pulsar please keep a socket set and the OEM pcm bolts in the truck in case it puts you in limp mode on the side of the highway. Pull off the Pulsar and restart you should be good to go

MagMan1379

Reaction score
They can still tell. Your miles won’t read the same on the PCM as on the truck.
That doesn’t make sense. The Pulsar still sends signals through the ECM. It’s an in-line addition, not an ECM removal. ‍♂️

SColang22

Reaction score
That doesn’t make sense. The Pulsar still sends signals through the ECM. It’s an in-line addition, not an ECM removal. ‍♂
If you change your PCM out the miles will read different. He wasn’t saying anything about a pulsar. He was talking about a PCM change.

haynsling

Reaction score
from what I know, if you just hit the down (-) button on the right lower side of the steering wheel (gear limit) it disables the MDS and eco mode. also I have etorque and when I pound on the gas pedal she moves pretty damn good. I blow twin turbod F150s all day long!!! I hear pedal commander feels like a 50hp tune?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
from what I know, if you just hit the down (-) button on the right lower side of the steering wheel (gear limit) it disables the MDS and eco mode. also I have etorque and when I pound on the gas pedal she moves pretty damn good. I blow twin turbod F150s all day long!!! I hear pedal commander feels like a 50hp tune?

Welcome to the forums, glad you like your truck. I like mine too, but it's significantly slower than either Ecoboost F-150 when compared to similarly equipped trucks. The pedal commander is essentially the difference between wearing sneakers and wearing boots when touching the gas. It adds exactly zero hp, it only changes the amount the actual throttle butterfly opens when you press the pedal in the lower and middle part of it's travel, it cannot and does not increase the maximum opening of the throttle butterfly.

blownout1500

Reaction score
I’m new here, but would like to share my experience with the Edge Pulsar. I bought and installed the Pulsar in November and immediately had issues (stability control, cruise control no longer worked and I had a check engine light). I immediately took the thing off, called Edge and they sent me a replacement. In the mean time I had to take my truck to the dealer to get everything working properly again. Once I got the replacement Pulsar I was nervous to install it and waited awhile before I decided to put it on. This time I had no issues and liked the performance setting until yesterday. I stopped to buy a drink, when I went to leave my truck died and wouldn’t restart. I ended up disconnecting the negative battery cable and the truck finally would start, but now I had stability control issues again and the check engine light on. I limped it home because it had reduced power. Took the Pulsar off and all my issues went away. I have no clue what happened, but I have had nothing but issues with the Edge Pulsar and will not be putting that PoS back onto my truck.

Just got a pedal commander after having the same experience with the Pulsar. Can’t say enough good things about the PC... feels every bit as juicy as the Pulsar, if not quicker in Sport+ mode.

Pulsar HP gain claims are based on some pretty thin evidence (
). After trying both PC and Pulsar, my guess would be that they were probably just getting better at getting good pulls on the dyno with a tricky trans.

Regardless, the PC just feels better/faster (to my butt anyway)... and it doesn’t randomly put the truck in limp mode LOL.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a pedal commander after having the same experience with the Pulsar. Can’t say enough good things about the PC... feels every bit as juicy as the Pulsar, if not quicker in Sport+ mode.

Pulsar HP gain claims are based on some pretty thin evidence (
). After trying both PC and Pulsar, my guess would be that they were probably just getting better at getting good pulls on the dyno with a tricky trans.

Regardless, the PC just feels better/faster (to my butt anyway)... and it doesn’t randomly put the truck in limp mode LOL.
The Pulsar does result in some HP gains, albeit not the 30 hp they claim. Be aware that the Pedal Commander can still have issues as well. I am actually in the middle of doing an RMA and getting a new PC right now. It started throwing check engine light and service electronic throttle codes. The truck then goes into limp mode. It's been installed correctly, and I ran with zero issues for 6 months. I've reinstalled, disconnected battery, etc and it keeps doing it again. Not trying to knock it, and it definitely has less issues than Pulsar, but it can still happen.

whetrick1

Reaction score
The Pulsar does result in some HP gains, albeit not the 30 hp they claim. Be aware that the Pedal Commander can still have issues as well. I am actually in the middle of doing an RMA and getting a new PC right now. It started throwing check engine light and service electronic throttle codes. The truck then goes into limp mode. It's been installed correctly, and I ran with zero issues for 6 months. I've reinstalled, disconnected battery, etc and it keeps doing it again. Not trying to knock it, and it definitely has less issues than Pulsar, but it can still happen.

It's an electronic device it can malfunction. But I've had mine almost a year now with no problems. I had 2 pulsar that last 2 weeks before they started giving me trouble. Got my money back and going to get me a Diablo Tuner. I had one on my 2016 Ram and had no issues with it or the custom tune I had on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's an electronic device it can malfunction. But I've had mine almost a year now with no problems. I had 2 pulsar that last 2 weeks before they started giving me trouble. Got my money back and going to get me a Diablo Tuner. I had one on my 2016 Ram and had no issues with it or the custom tune I had on it.

No doubt. Some people just have the illusion that they won't ever have any issue with the Pedal Commander. It can still happen. I had a Pulsar for few months and loved it, but needed to take my truck to the dealer a few times and got tired of having to take it off and on so I got rid of it. Never had any issues with it. I will get a true tune from Diablo later on down the road as well.

blownout1500

Reaction score
F me. Seriously?! Ugh... fingers crossed then. I can honestly say I like the performance of the PC better than the Pulsar. Hope it keeps working!

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I got my PULSAR today from Superchips; it shipped out on Thursday and I got it around noon on Saturday. I installed that and a Spectre air filter. Initial impression: Everyone should buy it, I love it and just with about 20 miles on it my MPG is increasing noticeably, I was averaging 14 and under around town and just the trip to the gas station had me over 16, I was not babying it at all and after filling up with 93 I was driving in performance mode.
I am welding in a Flowmaster on Tuesday to get a little more sound out of it. Will leave the resonators on for a week or so and if it is too quiet I will cut the rear resonators off.
Very impressed initially with the PULSAR

Do you have an updated on the pulsar. How long have you been running it and any issues. What about if you had to take it in did you take it off?

SColang22

Reaction score
I
Do you have an updated on the pulsar. How long have you been running it and any issues. What about if you had to take it in did you take it off?

I ran mine for 8 months. Had all kinds of codes thrown. Had to exchange it 3 times before finally just returning it. It seems to be hit and miss if people have issues or not

Joker4L

Reaction score
Sold my truck. I know have the Pulsar for sale. Will include a Free GREEN FILTER if sold by friday 9/13/19. Send me a direct message if interested

Fab1

Reaction score

I want to share my experience. I had in the past a product Diablosport for my RAM 2010, and I never had any problems, it always worked very well without failure and without electronic trouble.

So I installed the Edge Pulsar in my new RAM 2019, and for 2 months, no problem. Then one day, as for RIG above, I had electronic problems, like tempomat, stability control, throttle pedal management, check engine, etc. So I removed the Pulsar Edge, and everything came back in order. I really hesitate to reinstall it, moreover, being in Switzerland, if I have to send it back, it's more complicated.

mikeofokc

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ram in July 1018. My truck has a 392 rear end. That rear end ratio has the advantage of quicker acceleration from the line, better pulling power when towing but less gas milage on the highway. With the powerful 5.8 Hemi and that 392 rear end it will jump into action before you know it. Thus in situation where traffic is tight or starting from a stop where kids around or terrain is bumpy then you got to remember to go easy on the pedal or things get jerky and jumpy. So a tuner seemed a good way to let me maybe increase gas milage and not have such a sensitive gas pedal at low speeds when more caution was required. I bought the Pedal Commander.

For the first 2 months the PC worked great. It never really helped the gas milage and in fact because it had better throttle response I tended to put my foot down more than usual. Smoothing out the low speed jerkiness or lunging to fast was solved by retarding the throttle response like -3 City mode. But when I wanted that Get Up & Go power all I needed to do was switch to another setting with the push of a button and we were off to the races. The best of both worlds. Life was good.

Then when we were 1000 miles from home while driving on a congested 5 lane interstate that runs below the city of Boston during 5pm rush hour is when all hell broke loose. The vehicle slowed down with hardly any response of the gas pedal, warning lights started glowing, then the truck sped up even with my foot on the brake, check engine light, collision light, low brake fluid, transmission temperature warning, tire pressure warning, door open warning, AC warning, scared wife warning and warnings I never ever heard of before then. I drove another 3 miles in this bumper to bumper tunnel and once outside I was able to pull over and turned off the vehicle. I checked everything I could and looked in the fuse boxes to see if anything abnormal. After all looked ok I started the vehicle and some warning lights were off. Some were still on and acceleration was still bad but we were moving and we drove immediately to the nearest dealer. Fortunatly even though it was late the Dealer checked it and besides doing a computer update found no problems.

Then every 2-3 weeks the gremlins found me again. Each time I took it to a dealer and each time they checked for PCM software updates and each time the problems went away on their own so we had no idea what caused it. Regardless of PCM needing an update or not they couldn't find a problem and in general no one thought the PC was to blame . For 9 months I had the same intermittent problem and was working my way up the chain of command to fix the problem. Finally they after giving me a loaner for a week and keeping my truck they gave up and reluctantly would replace my vehicles PCM, the main computer. Then just before they said lets try removing the Pedal Commander to see it it has any effect.

Iv driven it six months now and no problem. So something with how the PC itself or its connections to the PCM or some pesky Gremlin was the problem. When things went nuts it was dangerous unless like me you had enough time behind the wheel to know not to panic and work the problem until someplace safe. I learned that turning the vehicle off seemed to start codes to return to normal and within a day most everything always was back to normal. Everything but me that is.

Listen Tuners are great when they work like they should. They probably won't give you any improved gas milage because engine efficiency isn't changed by throttle controls. Yes a lighter foot and slower speeds always help but thats not what tuners really control. But they do give you smoother acceleration and allow for smoother gear shifting and better performance particularly in the lower transmission gears. But if you have a Tuner and the vehicle goes nuts then take a good hard look at removing it first.

Captain Stack

Reaction score
My Pulsar that I installed just over a week ago is now acting up too! Ugh. It was throwing codes like crazy and accelerating on its own, even from a dead stop. Applying the brake did slow the motor and truck, but sheesh this is not safe. I will be talking to DiabloSport today regarding this issue. I hope it can be rectified as I was extremely happy with the product for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread