5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tuner for 2019 Ram 1500

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a Pulsar, returned it as mds turned on and off briefly every 4 seconds. Could hear it in the car back system.
Does custom tuning disable MDS? I don't bother with the Pulsars MDS disabled tunes since it's really not disabling it. It just turns it off quickly after it engages. Like you said, happens over and over under light throttle.

Phoon

Reaction score
Does custom tuning disable MDS? I don't bother with the Pulsars MDS disabled tunes since it's really not disabling it. It just turns it off quickly after it engages. Like you said, happens over and over under light throttle.
its very common for tuners to turn of MDS on gm engines, and it turns it off properly for good. Real custom tunes are amazing, the factory tends to be very conservative for bad owners that use cheap fuel etc. Lots of room for performance if you use good gas and take care of the vehicle.

rocktoza

Reaction score
Just a fyi everyone I asked my friend who is the master tech at Gainesville dodge about programmers and his words were dont do it, dodge loves to void warranties for programmers being in the trucks and there computers at the shop are capable of detecting them my number of times a computer has been flashed. I have had tuners in everything I've owned over the years and that sucks but considering I have a extended warranty I'm not going to jepordize it just for more power when I can get more hp from a exhaust and intake. I'm just informing those with the 5th gen, I had a 03 and 05 ram and never had issues. But seeing mine is a 19 big horn I'll not chance it for now anyway

lrobbi

Reaction score
Enjoying my new unlocked PCM with a Jay Greene Tune. I like it better over the Pulsar Edge I had before. Jay Greene sent me a few different Tunes; Street Tow and Race. The Race is of course my favorite, and using the Diablo i3 is easy to use. Loving this - I can see a Perf. CAM in my future. :)

Bigmikea

Reaction score
Enjoying my new unlocked PCM with a Jay Greene Tune. I like it better over the Pulsar Edge I had before. Jay Greene sent me a few different Tunes; Street Tow and Race. The Race is of course my favorite, and using the Diablo i3 is easy to use. Loving this - I can see a Perf. CAM in my future. :)
I am planning to do the same thing soon. I have been speaking to Jay. Can you tell a noticeable power difference? I know people speak about the pulsar and the throttle response, which is great but I am hoping the custom tune will do that and more.

lrobbi

Reaction score
I am planning to do the same thing soon. I have been speaking to Jay. Can you tell a noticeable power difference? I know people speak about the pulsar and the throttle response, which is great but I am hoping the custom tune will do that and more.

The Custom Tune from Jay is better than Pulsar in the shifting through the gears, it is quicker and smoother. The rpms do not drop down nearly as much... they stay up and the responsiveness between each gear as the rpms go up is effortless. Keeping in mind that the truck is SO heavy it moves through the mph much quicker. Prior to the Pulsar it was late through shifting... and it seemed to bogged down. Once I got the Pulsar Edge, it was an improvement but still not what you expect when passing i.e. a semi-truck or whatever. Now with the Jay Greene Tune... you can watch the RPMS stay up and the truck is quickly switching through the gears. I was lucky enough this morning ... in a safe environment, (semi-closed Road) to go from 0 - 96 mph. It felt effortless, and quicker. I did another pull at 38mph to 90mph.... I use to see a little lag on the dash as you look at the gauges and felt that lag in the seat of your pants - now that is gone. For me, I am looking to do some more things as I coordinate with Jay to increase the power - for my taste the truck is not where I want it yet so I am starting next stage.

SColang22

Reaction score
Just a fyi everyone I asked my friend who is the master tech at Gainesville dodge about programmers and his words were dont do it, dodge loves to void warranties for programmers being in the trucks and there computers at the shop are capable of detecting them my number of times a computer has been flashed. I have had tuners in everything I've owned over the years and that sucks but considering I have a extended warranty I'm not going to jepordize it just for more power when I can get more hp from a exhaust and intake. I'm just informing those with the 5th gen, I had a 03 and 05 ram and never had issues. But seeing mine is a 19 big horn I'll not chance it for now anyway
Yea this is dealer to dealer. Mine could care less. I don’t even bother taking the pulsar off bringing it in. They said if I have issues they’ll make sure the pulsar isn’t mentioned

lrobbi

Reaction score
Agree with you. I had my software updated... prior to the new unlocked PCM. They (the dealership) noticed the Long Tube Headers, and I told them about the Pulsar Edge I had to remove before they could do the software update. They didn't care, and loved the way it sounds and was impressed by the additional power from the other bolt-ons. Besides, I know if something happens - I am fine with taking the responsibility, I pay for what I want.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pulsar does NOT flash the ECU. The ECU in the 2019 is locked and can't be flashed. You have to buy a seperate unlocked ECU to use. I read that the other modules in the truck are aware when the ECU is swapped.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea this is dealer to dealer. Mine could care less. I don’t even bother taking the pulsar off bringing it in. They said if I have issues they’ll make sure the pulsar isn’t mentioned
I need a dealer like this. I believe my one here in the DFW area would try to look out now I have to find one in the Tampa Bay Area.

Bigmikea

Reaction score
Agree with you. I had my software updated... prior to the new unlocked PCM. They (the dealership) noticed the Long Tube Headers, and I told them about the Pulsar Edge I had to remove before they could do the software update. They didn't care, and loved the way it sounds and was impressed by the additional power from the other bolt-ons. Besides, I know if something happens - I am fine with taking the responsibility, I pay for what I want.
Did you send you PCM to be unlocked or buy a separate? Diablo said they'd unlock mine for $250 and the tune is and $225. Seems like the most cost efficient route.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Did you send you PCM to be unlocked or buy a separate? Diablo said they'd unlock mine for $250 and the tune is and $225. Seems like the most cost efficient route.

When I do it I'm going to buy the pcm so I can swap them out if I have to take it back to the dealership. Be use if they check anything they will lock the pcm and then you have to pay to have it unlocked again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Sorry but what do it mean to have an unlocked PCM and what all can you do at that point??

It gives you the option to run different tunes for the truck. Or you can buy custom tunes for your truck. You can turn things off and change settings. And then when when you need to go back to the dealership you can put your original pcm back in.

lrobbi

Reaction score
Sorry but what do it mean to have an unlocked PCM and what all can you do at that point??
It gives you the option to run different tunes for the truck. Or you can buy custom tunes for your truck. You can turn things off and change settings. And then when when you need to go back to the dealership you can put your original pcm back in.

(y):)

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, okay thank you. I'd just be happy to have the 104mph limiter removed

I think you'll have to have a custom tune to do that. Get in touch with Jay Greene he can tell you more about that.

Tundralag

Reaction score
I guess I am just old.. I never understood why someone would take a brand new 65k +- truck and put a tuner on it..
Possibility of voiding your warranty etc.. I have a go fast car and a new Longhorn..

lrobbi

Reaction score
I guess I am just old.. I never understood why someone would take a brand new 65k +- truck and put a tuner on it..
Possibility of voiding your warranty etc.. I have a go fast car and a new Longhorn..

I can understand you -- most desire to keep it the way it is. For me....I like to make my purchases of cars or trucks the way I want them. I own an accessory modification business for Polaris Slingshots, some like to keep them stock and other like to do modifications that may or may not void the warranty – depending on who you ask. I have the means to do, I accept the responsibility of, therefor I choose to do. Again, I understand those who don’t wish to mod a 65K vehicle. I can remember when I modified my Mercedes AMG E55... it was 85K, a few folks said the same.... And I said, “because I can, and I accept the responsibility if I blow the engine”. I guess its just all about what each owner likes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/