5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tires for 2019 Ram 1500

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would have to say the Bridgestone's are the quietest. Have them on a 2017 2500 (which is now my son's truck). The Toyo's were very quiet in the beginning but once they hit around 15K they seemed to get noisy. The Falken's were definitely what I would consider a "quiet" tire. Very smooth and provided excellent traction on both ice and snow. Never used a decibal meter but I would rate the Bridgestone's as the all around winner.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045540 miles.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here...

18in rims...went from the stock tire to 18in rebel rims with Duratracs. HUGE difference in feel and handling. You feel glued to the ground in turns. You definitely take a hit on MPGs though. Have since swapped to KO2s. The feel is very similar. MPGs are very similar. Road noise is way less than the Duratracs. For that reason alone I’d pick the KO2s over the Duratracs.

All that being said if you’re concerned about fuel economy is shy away from the 10 plys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Ed

Reaction score
I just had 305 45 22's Toyo Open Country AT3's installed on the OEM rims. Laramie Longhorn.
Gives the truck a beefier look and did not require a lift. No rubs noticed as of yet. No noticeable road noise over OEM Goodyears.

Attachments

• 20210121_163236.jpg
    20210121_163236.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 221

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I live in PA. I'm trying to find the best all season tires for my 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. Currently I have stock 275/55R20 Nexen Roadian htx that came on it when I bought it. They are horrible on wet roads. The *** end gets loose so easily on turns and just accelerating up hills. I'm choosing 285/65R20 as my new tire size. I'm crossed between which Brand to go with.
After about a year of research, I went with toyo at3 for a few reasons: taller tire size is limited in 22" rims, I wanted good tires for the snow (3 mountain peak rated), and wanted an aggressive look.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
KO2’s...ditched the Duratracs for these. No regrets.

293bbbeda1325da60c7d0176e6b0c326.jpg

Gitter

Reaction score
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.

They improved my ride quite a bit (better tread design and stiffer wheels overall due to 10 ply). They are as quiet as the stock Duelers. Plus, I love the aggressive look.

20210101_154434 (2)_LI.jpg

jeeplj8

Reaction score
I had those tires (Roadian) in a 285 width on 20's on my last Ram and they were the worst tire I ever owned. Replaced with Cooper HT 2 and they were better in every possible way. I had a picture of them side by side and despite being the exact same metric P size, the Cooper;s were an inch wider in the tread and roughly 3/4 inch taller. If Cooper made that tire in a 22 they would be on my new truck.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had those tires (Roadian) in a 285 width on 20's on my last Ram and they were the worst tire I ever owned. Replaced with Cooper HT 2 and they were better in every possible way. I had a picture of them side by side and despite being the exact same metric P size, the Cooper;s were an inch wider in the tread and roughly 3/4 inch taller. If Cooper made that tire in a 22 they would be on my new truck.
Hopefully your tires aren't part of the huge Cooper LT tire recall. 430k Cooper tires have been recalled due to sidewall separations.

wvinson

Reaction score
Anyone's opinion on replacement 22's. Mine at 20K will need replacing soon. Goodyears didn't last long.
Has anyone tried General Grabber's UHP?

Limited2021

Reaction score
Michelin Defender LTX M/S

I have a set of these on my current truck (Chevy) but will be putting a set on my new truck (ram) when it comes in. They wear really well and handle very good in the snow and ice in Iowa. I was thinking of going to K02 as I have had them before, they look good on the truck and they perform really good as well but at around 52#'s a tire over the 42#s the defenders have I think I would take to much of a hit on the MPG. So practicality wins over looks for me I guess.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
Anyone's opinion on replacement 22's. Mine at 20K will need replacing soon. Goodyears didn't last long.
Has anyone tried General Grabber's UHP?
It is not available in stock size. The closest is a 305/40, which would be pretty wide. might look cool though. I am debating going with another all-season or an A/T. I like the looks of A/T tires and the snow handling, but given almost all my miles will be highway miles the all season makes far more sense. Thinking Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season II

wvinson

Reaction score
It is not available in stock size. The closest is a 305/40, which would be pretty wide. might look cool though. I am debating going with another all-season or an A/T. I like the looks of A/T tires and the snow handling, but given almost all my miles will be highway miles the all season makes far more sense. Thinking Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season II
That was the plan to go a little wider because the factory goodyears are too narrow. Grabber's come in 305/45/22 which are wider and taller for a little more comfort. I thought about the a/t tires as well but rarely off road and don't want the noise.

hgaza44

Reaction score
Need some advice what tires should I get I have a 2019 Ram 1500 larimee 2wd has 285/45 22r. What would be the best tire and should I get a leveling kit. Can I change tire size without having to level it.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
That was the plan to go a little wider because the factory goodyears are too narrow. Grabber's come in 305/45/22 which are wider and taller for a little more comfort. I thought about the a/t tires as well but rarely off road and don't want the noise.
The Goodyears are tread width is like 9.4 inches. I went thru this on my 2014. Replaced with same size Cooper's that were 10.5 tread width. it is often hard to find published tread width.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
No one mentioned it in this thread, but if you're not lifting the truck the stickiest and best steering/braking tire in the stock 20" size is the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I've run BFG KO, KO2 and Falken WP2s and they're not even close in wet or dry grip. The Pirelli is also mountain snowflake rated and does really well on packed snow and mud. The KO2 is slightly better on solid ice and refrozen slush. This tire gets overlooked a lot because they don't make Man Sized tires (35s) for the lifted trucks. But if you drive your truck like a sport sedan or are an old hand around a racetrack, it's the AT of choice. The dry grip is simply ridiculous, on par with many high performance summer tires.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Goodyears are tread width is like 9.4 inches. I went thru this on my 2014. Replaced with same size Cooper's that were 10.5 tread width. it is often hard to find published tread width.

Pretty sure tiresome.com does a decent job of getting all the specs, including the width, and they let you compare sizes and brands etc

Gitter

Reaction score
No one mentioned it in this thread, but if you're not lifting the truck the stickiest and best steering/braking tire in the stock 20" size is the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. I've run BFG KO, KO2 and Falken WP2s and they're not even close in wet or dry grip. The Pirelli is also mountain snowflake rated and does really well on packed snow and mud. The KO2 is slightly better on solid ice and refrozen slush. This tire gets overlooked a lot because they don't make Man Sized tires (35s) for the lifted trucks. But if you drive your truck like a sport sedan or are an old hand around a racetrack, it's the AT of choice. The dry grip is simply ridiculous, on par with many high performance summer tires.

I was strongly considering a set of those Pirelli's. Had some other Pirelli's on my old M3 and I loved them, so when I saw they came out with ATs, I was happy to see the great reviews they have been getting. If only they made them in bigger sizes!

Last edited:

kevinssaco

Reaction score
Decided to end my relationship with the stock "weenie" Goodyear Fortitudes after sliding around through several New England snow storms this year in full 4wd! I even tried several bags of sand in the back and it made it worse to steer! And really squishy sway problems towing! They still had some meat on them, about 23k mi used, but I was just through with them and I believe every 4wd deserves ATs or MTs. They were also squishy for towing my 6k lb camper as well in the summer even pumping them up to max! So, I went with a stock sized LT285/65-R18 Bridgestone AT Revo. It took me a bit of research in selecting these, then some more research getting the tire pressure right. So many opinions out there! You just have to take a little of everything and then it comes down to all around performance and safety! I did sacrifice some cushioning of the ride which I'm fine with, its a truck. As well as some cornering, which I expected going from a highway tire to an All Terrain anyway. But the snow and ice traction are like night and day to the stock tires! I can get by in 2wd for some snow if I wanted to, and my muddy driveway is nothing for these! I can't wait for spring to see how well they tow and hopefully reduce some sway. I really like these tires! I used the comparison chart at Tirerack.com to make my decision on their track testing of several tires. It came down to these and the Cooper ATs. There was a slight advantage of these over the Coopers in longevity, so I went with these.

Attachments

• IMG_2945[1].JPG
    IMG_2945[1].JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/