5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best product for removing caked on bugs?

jcjohn

Reaction score
Hey guys, after a summer of living and driving the Iowa countryside, my truck's front end has a ton of stubborn caked on bug guts. What is the best product out there for removing this mess?

Cajun_

Reaction score
Hey guys, after a summer of living and driving the Iowa countryside, my truck's front end has a ton of stubborn caked on bug guts. What is the best product out there for removing this mess?

W8 v2 by exotech

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PDP Bugmelt …. Amazing stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
That’s lawn fertilizer …. Lol

Fertilizer?! 🤣

It's a real thing-I used it years ago when I worked in the detailing department at an RV dealership and now I keep a gallon at home. Bugs literally start "melting" right before your eyes....I'm a huge fan of this product!

Cajun_

Reaction score
Fertilizer?!

It's a real thing-I used it years ago when I worked in the detailing department at an RV dealership and now I keep a gallon at home. Bugs literally start "melting" right before your eyes....I'm a huge fan of this product!
Can't be good for the paint

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was joking …. Lol

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Can't be good for the paint
I've not had issues with the paint, but you don't want to use it in direct sunlight (as with most products), and it says right on the container to pre-wet the vehicle first, spray product on and let soak for a minute, then get washed/brushed off.

Bug guts are a reality here in Iowa and they can be a real B!+c# to remove. Guys gotta do what a guys gotta do!! 🤷‍♂️

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score
I've had great results from good old dryer sheets for removing lovebugs down here in FL. I don't let the bug guts "bake in", but it couldn't hurt to try the sheets.

Using Dryer Sheets to Remove Dead Bugs
  1. Fill an empty spray bottle with water.
  2. Roll up a dryer sheet and place it inside the water bottle.
  3. Shake the bottle and let it sit for a few minutes.
  4. Spray the bumper and other areas.
  5. Use a dry dryer sheet to clean the surface.

Quint

Reaction score
The best way to prevent caked on bugs is to wash your truck more frequently. The longer they are on there, the longer they become one with your paint.

Especially because I live in the winter salt belt, and because I do lots of summer trips into the woods, I have an annual unlimited carwash package at a local shop. The rare times that I'm up there for a week and I know that the regular pre-spray & wash won't do it, I spray a little Bug Off on there when I get to the car wash. I usually hop out and do some vacuuming to give the bug stuff time to work.

Good luck

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
The best way to prevent caked on bugs is to wash your truck more frequently. The longer they are on there, the longer they become one with your paint.

Especially because I live in the winter salt belt, and because I do lots of summer trips into the woods, I have an annual unlimited carwash package at a local shop. The rare times that I'm up there for a week and I know that the regular pre-spray & wash won't do it, I spray a little Bug Off on there when I get to the car wash. I usually hop out and do some vacuuming to give the bug stuff time to work.

Good luck
I wish I had a high-quality car wash close to me and I'd do the same thing. It would be WELL worth the investment. Unfortunately the closest town with a decent one is over a half hour away and I live in a "pocket" in the middle of three different metro areas and every day I may drive a different direction. First world problems.......

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hand wash once a week in my driveway …. I don’t use car washes …. It’s like therapy …. Music or tv on, and beer in the cooler

RebelChip

Reaction score
I use Awesome from the Dollar General Store ($3.00 for a gallon) and a cheap bottle sprayer. Just spray on and let it set for a few minutes and rinse off. I tuse a pressurewasher to rinse off but a regular hose will work just fine. I learned about using this stuff from a guy who has several 69 Roadrunner show cars.

Attachments

• 1634384014793.png
    1634384014793.png
    186 KB · Views: 19

jcjohn

Reaction score
I use Awesome from the Dollar General Store ($3.00 for a gallon) and a cheap bottle sprayer. Just spray on and let it set for a few minutes and rinse off. I tuse a pressurewasher to rinse off but a regular hose will work just fine. I learned about using this stuff from a guy who has several 69 Roadrunner show cars.
Sounds like a good alternative. Since its a degreaser I assume it would strip off any wax?

jcjohn

Reaction score
Hand wash once a week in my driveway …. I don’t use car washes …. It’s like therapy …. Music or tv on, and beer in the cooler

Unfortunately I live on gravel about 2 miles from pavement, so the investment in hand washing has little return. However, I like your idea!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately I live on gravel about 2 miles from pavement, so the investment in hand washing has little return. However, I like your idea!
Gravel sucks. I used to live about a mile down a gravel road. Tried to come up with all kinds of things to keep the dust down. Even installed a 50 gallon tank full of water and zip tied spray nozzles in front of the tires. It worked okay as long as I drove under 5 mph LOL. Everyone laughed at me but I didn't care. Eventually I moved into town and removed all that crap :ROFLMAO:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gravel sucks. I used to live about a mile down a gravel road. Tried to come up with all kinds of things to keep the dust down. Even installed a 50 gallon tank full of water and zip tied spray nozzles in front of the tires. It worked okay as long as I drove under 5 mph LOL. Everyone laughed at me but I didn't care. Eventually I moved into town and removed all that crap :ROFLMAO:
Now THAT's dedication to a clean truck!

jcjohn

Reaction score
We had dust control applied for the first time this season and it at least keeps dust down on the property. If I was a millionaire I'd have them spray from my house to the pavement in both directions!

Users who are viewing this thread