5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best oil to use

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Not to be a jacka$$, but there are ways of finding things on your own. There are already too many "what oil should I use" threads...
ya it does not do any good to point this out.
it just turns into a bully session.
i do agree with you.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Not to be a jacka$$, but there are ways of finding things on your own. There are already too many "what oil should I use" threads...
Funny you started out with “not to be a *******” your words. This is a thread I started. I am looking for information that is important to me. I don’t have the knowledge and I’m looking a quick answer. The question wasn’t even sent to you so why bother with your absolutely useless comment. Feel better now? I think you are a jacka$$. Next time you ask a question on the site I hope you get the same useless answer.
BTW who the hell put you in charge of deeming a topic on here has “way to many” threads.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Funny you started out with “not to be a *******” your words. This is a thread I started. I am looking for information that is important to me. I don’t have the knowledge and I’m looking a quick answer. The question wasn’t even sent to you so why bother with your absolutely useless comment. Feel better now? I think you are a jacka$$. Next time you ask a question on the site I hope you get the same useless answer.
BTW who the hell put you in charge of deeming a topic on here has “way to many” threads.
Actually after posting this I regret that I even acknowledged your post. There are way to many helpful members. I should have ignored you.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems like a bit of an overreaction, but I apologize if I ruffled your feathers. I'm all for people asking questions. It just gets old when people ask the same questions over and over. And you're right, I probably should have just not even commented in this thread.

I tend to not to create threads with questions without first at least trying to find the answer on my own. Whether it's using the forum search function or searching the internet.

Last edited:

Lungs414

Reaction score
All good. It definitely was a reaction. However anything and everything can be googled. But my position is that this a Ram forum and I asked about oil and you're right there are a lot of threads here about oil. Too many to go through so what harm would it be to ask the guy a specific question about the difference between 5W20 and 5W30 for a NY vehicle.

The funny thing is I still don't know if it makes a difference. LOL

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
One major weakness in our Rams is the lack of an oil cooler. That means if you're towing up a hill/mountain, there is a good chance your temps will exceed 250 degrees.

At that point your only protection (short of an aftermarket cooler) is:
- run full synthetic
- and run 5w-30

You can definitely do both of that even if you don't tow, but especially if you do I would not be running that factory oil (which was chosen to maximize EPA fuel efficiency numbers, not the life of your engine.)

Lungs414

Reaction score
I do tow in summer a double jet ski trailer and never looked at the oil temp, I will next summer.
Thanks

silver billet

Reaction score
I do tow in summer a double jet ski trailer and never looked at the oil temp, I will next summer.
Thanks

Wouldn't worry about it, the hemi won't even notice that little thing behind it. The high temps are reported by guys towing big boxed trailers/RV's at >= 5000 pounds etc.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have used the 5W30, like I asked before what is the difference between the 30 and 20, I know its 10 lol but I truly don't know it it makes a big deal for me in New York.

Thanks
The second number is the oil weight when hot. 30 is thicker. Spec on the engine is 20, probably because it gets around 0.1 mpg better for CAFE testing. Either will be fine in that engine in NY, but you may want to use 5w20 until the warranty is up.

Lungs414

Reaction score
The second number is the oil weight when hot. 30 is thicker. Spec on the engine is 20, probably because it gets around 0.1 mpg better for CAFE testing. Either will be fine in that engine in NY, but you may want to use 5w20 until the warranty is up.
thanks for the info.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about it, the hemi won't even notice that little thing behind it. The high temps are reported by guys towing big boxed trailers/RV's at >= 5000 pounds etc.

Thank you
Mine is a double trailer all totaled about 2000 lbs or so.

cochise111

Reaction score
I can tell by this thread who the penny pinchers are.
What an inane comment. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is probably the most popular oil for the Hemi engine in the country no matter what the cost. If you like to spend more money, feel free.

Bassinb

Reaction score
A year ago I found Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-20 full synthetic on sale at Advance Auto with a coupon for $9 per 5qt jug. I drove around to multiple stores and bought all of it I could find. ~25 jugs. After sending in for an analysis I like how its performing at 6000k intervals. Has a good Moly number which, according to some, is good for the Hemi. Have tried a few different oil filters (KN, Wix, RP) without much difference. I buy whatever is cheapest from those three brands at the time.

ldoh

Reaction score
I can tell by this thread who the penny pinchers are.

We could keep that list going. How about who's back pocket is connected to motor oil sales, who's bad with their money, who's clueless...?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
After hearing you guys kissing 💋 to make up, I had to throw up a bit.

I brushed my teeth and rinsed with a shot of Scope so I'm good now.

To the question.... I jump on Costco.com and grab Kirkland synthetic for when I do my own changes. Typically I have a shop I trust that takes care of a lot of odd things I come up with. I don't even know what brand of synthetic they use. It's brownish colored and slippery. The engine has not sized up. Must be the right stuff.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A year ago I found Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w-20 full synthetic on sale at Advance Auto with a coupon for $9 per 5qt jug. I drove around to multiple stores and bought all of it I could find. ~25 jugs. After sending in for an analysis I like how its performing at 6000k intervals. Has a good Moly number which, according to some, is good for the Hemi. Have tried a few different oil filters (KN, Wix, RP) without much difference. I buy whatever is cheapest from those three brands at the time.
This is the second time this week I’ve seen this oil mentioned. I’m going to have to start looking into this oil.

Users who are viewing this thread