5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best oil to use

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow …. You are gonna get more different opinions on this, and be more confused than before you asked the question …. So many schools of thought on types, brands, and change intervals …. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use the least expensive full synthetic I can find. Currently that is Havoline, but next change will be Pennzoil Platinum. I never pay over $3 per quart after rebate (the PP was $2).

ldoh

Reaction score
Ditto. My best motor oil is the least expensive full synthetic 5W-20.

As long you follow the manufacturers recommendations, your engine should be fine. Engine teardowns on youtube are an eye opener. They can quickly tell when an engine hasn't been properly maintained.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And liquid synthetic. Pick what ever label you like best.

Amazon oil actually has really good blackstone lab results.

I personally buy mobile 1 simple because they usually have $15 rebates off 5qt jugs. Making it one of the cheapest options.

silver billet

Reaction score
Don't try Redline 5w-30. Your engine will become so buttery smooth and quiet that when you try your other oil again you will start hearing noises you never noticed before.

I kid. Definitely try it if you don't mind voiding your warranty. It's affectionately labeled "hemi honey" by others on a different forum.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use the most expensive full synthetic I can find. The more you spend the better it has to be...right? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Actually, my recommendation is to do your own research. Don't listen to a bunch of strangers on a forum. Asking a question like this in this kind of environment will only add to the confusion and misinformation you already have.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pennzoil 5W20 platinum full synthetic. Lacking the 5 quart jugs on the shelves so had to settle with 1 quart bottles at USD 6 per unit.

Last edited:

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer does it for me...definitely overpaying but I'm not wasting any brain cells on this

cochise111

Reaction score
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic. It seems to be the most popular oil for the Hemi engine. You can buy it on Amazon for $25 for a 5 qt. bottle.

ldoh

Reaction score
I second Amazon. Its been a pretty good source for full synthetic motor oil. For a while they were selling 5qt jugs of full synthetic for a bit over $15 shipped.

Lungs414

Reaction score
2 times so far I used the Pennzoil 5W30 for ~ $24 per 5qt. and got a $22 shell gift card back as a rebate. I looked recently as it is just about time to change again and the offer is only $10. Thats when I noticed the "DEXOS", but I have no idea what that is.

Can someone explain what that is and also for a NY driver is there a big difference between 5W30 and 5W20. It seems the PP in 5W20 is available in more stores, even Home Depot.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
DEXOS is something Gm requires

Just another certification of oil

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like Valvoline Synthetic 5w20, very happy over the many years I have used it.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Good lord, how many of these threads exists already? But since I am already here, PUP 5w-20.
I have used the 5W30, like I asked before what is the difference between the 30 and 20, I know its 10 lol but I truly don't know it it makes a big deal for me in New York.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread