5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best locations for Paint Protection Film (PPF)?

69RT3X9

Reaction score
For those of you that have had your trucks for a while, can you recommend specific locations on your truck where you wish you would have installed PPF from "Day 1"?

I have a new black appearance package Laramie on order and want protect the areas "vulnerable to damage" shortly after taking delivery. Reading other threads, it sounds like the fender flares need some PPF protection, but do you need to cover the entire flare, or just bottom front edges on both front and back flares?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, what PPF brand did you use and would you recommend it again? Thanks!

Hammer1

Reaction score
I have a painted bumper and my truck has 3500 miles on it. The bumper now looks like it has a 100,000 miles on it. Needs painted already. 1 480 mile round trip on 81 in bad weather destroyed it

PanchitoR76

Reaction score
I am with you on this one, I have a white bighorn with the sports appearance package and my front bumper paint has a lot of chips everywhere! I don’t even use the truck much, only has 1,500 miles on it!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am with you on this one, I have a white bighorn with the sports appearance package and my front bumper paint has a lot of chips everywhere! I don’t even use the truck much, only has 1,500 miles on it!
This is another reason I went with chrome bumpers. I figured the painted bumpers wouldn’t hold up as well.

lambone

Reaction score
The front end of my rear fender flares are trashed after 3,000 miles. The lower rocker panels are getting beat up as well.

They use gravel on the icy roads here. I might LineX them.

DanSkan

Reaction score
Would the ceramic finish coat provide similar protection? I would not want to do the entire truck but with the same question as using PPF is areas would use the ceramic finish coat in those areas plus others - would it hold up?

geotex1

Reaction score
PPF and ceramic coatings do not offer the same chip protection. They're more complementary products.

PPF: I have a bikini kit for the hood and leading edge of front fenders; grille filler pieces; A-pillars; roof from windshield to ridges; front lower quarters of bed; leading edge of rear flares; bottom of door jambs. Installed from go.

When I install the psinted mirror caps and grille, they will be wrapped too. If you have paint-matched bumpers, they'll need it. My 4th Gen was a Sport and because of the PPF and perfect paint, my trade was several thousand over book.

Edit: Also have film on my headlights and fogs. It's saved me $100s on several vehicles. No yellowing, no abrasion, and no water spots in addition to the projectile protection! It's a heavier thickness over the standard PPF.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would the ceramic finish coat provide similar protection? I would not want to do the entire truck but with the same question as using PPF is areas would use the ceramic finish coat in those areas plus others - would it hold up?
As @geotex1 wrote, they serve different purposes. Ceramic coat will protect paint from light scratching (e.g. car washes) and the elements. PPF adds a certain level of protection against rocks and similar debris.

You can do ceramic coat over PPF (I did this), but you can't do PPF over ceramic coat (it won't stick). I didn't go as far as @geotex1 on my PPF install, but I had a number of areas done: headlights and fog lights, leading edge of the hood and roof, A-pillars, front fender 'cheeks' and front portion of fenders and flares. I have the chrome grille, bumpers, and mirrors, so those areas were not covered. From other recent posts, it sounds like maybe the rear fender flares should be covered too...but I'm not too worried about salt/rocks being used for icing here in Texas.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score

I just ordered a bright white 1500 with the sports appearance package, as well. I am going to have PPF put on the whole front end including headlights and fog lights, rocker panels, bottom 1/4 of each door, and around the fenders. I did not order Original Equipment Fender Flares (should I have?) Also installing Weather Tech MudFlaps. In your opinion with your similar vehicle, do you think this is ENOUGH to protect the paint from rust?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had PPF installed on my bumper along with the pieces under the headlights, brow, and a mini kit for the hood. I had it put on 2 weeks after I got the truck and I have not found any rock chips on it, now over 10,000 miles. If anything I would consider doing the headlights as I can see some small pits in the lenses when the lights are turned on at night. I still may get those done.

Last edited:

ium33

Reaction score
I have painted bumpers and my front bumper was looking pretty rough but I just hit it with a paint pen after washing and it blends back in. Now every time I wash it I just look for any new chips and if I find any I just touch them up.

It sounds like some of you guys are having bigger problems.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing how much this cost?
In Cincinnati, OH, including the initial and very important paint correction and ceramic coating, the front package with headlights and fog lights, A-pillars, rocker panels with bottom 1/4 of each door, fender flares, and back bumper costs about $5,300 before tax. 10-year warranty on any defects. I have been going to the same guy for a couple vehicles now, so he knocked off about a grand (basically did the premium tint for free and a few add-ons).

Did the same job on my Alfa Romeo for about $4,400. Trucks will always cost a little more, but a year and 17,000 miles in and my Alfa still looks better than the vehicles currently sitting on the lot.

Chavez98

Reaction score
In Cincinnati, OH, including the initial and very important paint correction and ceramic coating, the front package with headlights and fog lights, A-pillars, rocker panels with bottom 1/4 of each door, fender flares, and back bumper costs about $5,300 before tax. 10-year warranty on any defects. I have been going to the same guy for a couple vehicles now, so he knocked off about a grand (basically did the premium tint for free and a few add-ons).

Did the same job on my Alfa Romeo for about $4,400. Trucks will always cost a little more, but a year and 17,000 miles in and my Alfa still looks better than the vehicles currently sitting on the lot.
This is me a rough basis on what to expect. Thanks for the reply.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Front bumper, rear bumper, rear flares, and rock panel in front of rear wheel-wells.

Viper67

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing how much this cost?

Bumper (450), and the strip right below the hood (100), hood (600), both front fenders (600), grill area (400). However I got a great deal as the guy has did several of my cars plus my 3500 so I get a break. But it will last 7-10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chavez98

Reaction score
Bumper (450), and the strip right below the hood (100), hood (600), both front fenders (600), grill area (400). However I got a great deal as the guy has did several of my cars plus my 3500 so I get a break. But it will last 7-10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Great information on the breakout.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Front bumper, rear bumper, rear flares, and rock panel in front of rear wheel-wells.
Hey, that’s a good looking boat. What size boat is that? I just ordered my truck with the 3.92 and trailer tow group. I’m expecting to tow around 7,800 pounds worth of boat (27 footer with fuel and trailer weight), wondering how it handles yours. Thanks.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Hey, that’s a good looking boat. What size boat is that? I just ordered my truck with the 3.92 and trailer tow group. I’m expecting to tow around 7,800 pounds worth of boat (27 footer with fuel and trailer weight), wondering how it handles yours. Thanks.
Thanks. It’s a 21 foot. Around 5k loaded with fuel and gear. It tows great. Plenty of power. This boat/trailer tows better than anything else I’ve ever pulled, so that helps...it’s just balanced very well. Same experience with my F150. You’ll be heavier. But would speculate you’ll be fine. I have surge brakes, will you have electric over hydraulic on your trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread