5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FitcamX if you don't want a camera sticking out on your windshield

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Search dash cam on here you’ll find plenty of different opinions on here.. general recommendation Blackvue.. or if you want oem like Fitcam x

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Fitcamx camera. Liked it so much, even bought on for my wife's Traverse and just installed that one tonight. But really depends on what features you are looking for in a dash cam

Before the Fitcamx, I had a Apeman camera in both my truck and wife's Trsverse. In my kids cars I have Viofo A119 with the GPS module

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tons of info in this thread.

tac63

Reaction score
Just something different to consider, I am using a Wolfbox 840S attached to the rear-view mirror and with the rear camera custom cut into the 3rd brake light (you could use a license plate bracket mount instead). This will give you front and rear recording and a digital mirror option if you wanted it... At some point I will make a post to show others.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just something different to consider, I am using a Wolfbox 840S attached to the rear-view mirror and with the rear camera custom cut into the 3rd brake light (you could use a license plate bracket mount instead). This will give you front and rear recording and a digital mirror option if you wanted it... At some point I will make a post to show others.
With the number of people posting about 3td brake lights leaking, not sure aid want to add another hole to it

Blizzak454

Reaction score
I know that everybody goes with fitcam because of the integrated housing and whatnot, but technology-wise, is it the best dashcam? for example Viofo advertises things like Sony STARVIS 2 chipsets. Fitcam doesn't really go into the nitty gritty specs.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went with a Viofo A229 Pro front and rear. Put the rear cam where everyone else has and the front above the mirror driver side. Very happy with it so far. Used to have a cheap Rexing, and while it did the job it definitely lacked a lot of the features I wanted.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I know that everybody goes with fitcam because of the integrated housing and whatnot, but technology-wise, is it the best dashcam? for example Viofo advertises things like Sony STARVIS 2 chipsets. Fitcam doesn't really go into the nitty gritty specs.

If I was posting dashcam videos to YouTube like I do my helmet cam videos, I would want the highest resolution/best camera possible. A dashcam for me is for video evidence in case of an accident. Because of that, form factor is very important to me. Having a big square box stuck to my windshield is a non starter. Having said that, FitCamX doesn't have a cam for my Subaru, so I am considering a Blackvue camera. It seems to be the least noticeable camera, combined with the technology I want/need.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What exactly are you wanting out of your dash cam? There isn't much difference between all the different dash games once you get into the guys of them there are like 2-3 different lens options, and only a few different chipsets.

My only dislike of the FitcamX is the native format it saves the files in doesn't allow for uploading to Facebook without converting them. If you download files to your phone it automatically concerts them to MP4 which is why it takes so long to download to your phone. If you pull the microSD card out and pull the files direct off the memory card, you have to convert the files to MP4 yourself. Uploading to YouTube automatically converts them.

boogielander

Reaction score
if one's focusing on video quality over everything else, might as well go for a Osmo Action 4. An action camera that features 10-bit LOG color profile for color grading AND Loop recording function just like a dash cam.
Mount it, plug the charging cable in, and you got an action cam that doubles as a dash cam. If you got any more activities off the truck, you can use it as a normal action cam.

just saying lol

Users who are viewing this thread