5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Updates on my install.
I've hidden all the wires and tapped into the fuses, as suggested F33 and F66 gave me parking and ACC mode. It's as clean as it's going to get for the moment. I do want to hide the main unit inside a custom trim piece. Problem is, if I enclose the camera against the windshield, it WILL overheat. I really do want the system to be as hidden and factory-looking as possible. I ended up finding a good spot for the interior camera where I probably won't have to hide it.

Parking mode works just fine, but because it senses motion, I think it's a little sensitive. I'm not sure how useful it is unless I walk to my truck and find something obvious. It's a nice-to-have, and stuff like that CAN happen...so, cheap insurance. Yes, I still need to hard-wire the radar detector.

Qy0dglF.png

f26q3Gc.jpg

a83DP6c.jpg

VGLE8A5.png

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Updates on my install.
I've hidden all the wires and tapped into the fuses, as suggested F33 and F66 gave me parking and ACC mode. It's as clean as it's going to get for the moment. I do want to hide the main unit inside a custom trim piece. Problem is, if I enclose the camera against the windshield, it WILL overheat. I really do want the system to be as hidden and factory-looking as possible. I ended up finding a good spot for the interior camera where I probably won't have to hide it.

Parking mode works just fine, but because it senses motion, I think it's a little sensitive. I'm not sure how useful it is unless I walk to my truck and find something obvious. It's a nice-to-have, and stuff like that CAN happen...so, cheap insurance. Yes, I still need to hard-wire the radar detector.

f26q3Gc.jpg
Nice...but, definitely time to upgrade that V1;)

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Nice...but, definitely time to upgrade that V1;)
Yea, I really like the V1 Gen2.

I had my original one since college (around 2003/4), and about 5 years ago, I did the upgrade program to get the latest circuitry. It's not that out of date, but I do really like the new one. I might take advantage of the upgrade program, yet again.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea, I really like the V1 Gen2.

I had my original one since college (around 2003/4), and about 5 years ago, I did the upgrade program to get the latest circuitry. It's not that out of date, but I do really like the new one. I might take advantage of the upgrade program, yet again.
You should take a VERY serious look at a Uniden R7 or the new R8...it will blow the Valentine right out of the water!

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Bump. Just ordered a Blackvue 750. Probably going to need help with the install. Any good youtube videos I should watch?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Bump. Just ordered a Blackvue 750. Probably going to need help with the install. Any good youtube videos I should watch?
I would be happy to help you. PM me and I'll provide my cell and we can talk. Not hard at all and, if you have read this thread, and others, you will see that I have helped many through this process complete a professional installation.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I would be happy to help you. PM me and I'll provide my cell and we can talk. Not hard at all and, if you have read this thread, and others, you will see that I have helped many through this process complete a professional installation.
Awesome thanks!!

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Got my Blackvue installed this morning. Haven't got a chance to play around very much yet, but it looks like the Samsung memory card worked out of the box. I ended up mounting the front camera a little lower then what is optimal, but I wanted it centered, and hidden from view behind the rear view mirror while I'm driving. Best part, I didn't even have to harass securityguy!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got my Blackvue installed this morning. Haven't got a chance to play around very much yet, but it looks like the Samsung memory card worked out of the box. I ended up mounting the front camera a little lower then what is optimal, but I wanted it centered, and hidden from view behind the rear view mirror while I'm driving. Best part, I didn't even have to harass securityguy!
You can harass me anytime my friend. Always happy to help where I can. Glad you got it installed to your liking:)

monkeypunch

Reaction score
And my truck won't start. I'm assuming the parking mode killed my battery. 100 degrees out with both my kids stuck in an Academy parking lot. I have it set on 12.0 to cut off. And I was out of the truck for 20 min. Maybe I have the wires backwards?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And my truck won't start. I'm assuming the parking mode killed my battery. 100 degrees out with both my kids stuck in an Academy parking lot. I have it set on 12.0 to cut off. And I was out of the truck for 20 min. Maybe I have the wires backwards?
Shouldn't have that much current t draw to drain the battery that fast. Probably just coincidence. Factory batteries are the most reliable.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Shouldn't have that much current t draw to drain the battery that fast. Probably just coincidence. Factory batteries are the most reliable.
Totally agree. No camera will drain a battery in 20 minutes. Something else going on here for sure.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you want to call me, we can make sure your wiring is correct.

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I have the "BATT" yellow line in F33, and the "ACC" red like in F66. So that's correct. Fml

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the "BATT" yellow line in F33, and the "ACC" red like in F66. So that's correct. Fml
Accessory is F66...battery is F33...all sounds good. Maybe just a fluke as was stated above since these OEM batteries are crap. May just want to buy a great quality H8 AGM and see if this reoccurs. Costco has Interstates at a solid price. My preference is this one and they offer 10% off if you pay for it on-line and another decent 3% off if you have Rakuten.

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has any experience or reviews of a Rexing M1 dash cam. My wife bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago and I never took it out of the box but am considering using it now. Or am I wasting my time with it?

I have read through some of the other posts in this thread and frankly, y'all have some pretty fancy dash cam's. All I want one to do is record all the time so that I don't have to worry about hitting a button to start recording before an accident happens, and to record great quality video.

The Rexing M1 I have here says it records in 1296p, has the rear camera to mount that apparently feeds video to the rearview mirror.

Thanks for any info and guidance!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has any experience or reviews of a Rexing M1 dash cam. My wife bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago and I never took it out of the box but am considering using it now. Or am I wasting my time with it?

I have read through some of the other posts in this thread and frankly, y'all have some pretty fancy dash cam's. All I want one to do is record all the time so that I don't have to worry about hitting a button to start recording before an accident happens, and to record great quality video.

The Rexing M1 I have here says it records in 1296p, has the rear camera to mount that apparently feeds video to the rearview mirror.

Thanks for any info and guidance!
It is an entry level camera. Try it out…you have nothing to lose. May not work reliably in a hot environment.

Users who are viewing this thread