5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Dash Cam

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
From my experience, the only good reason to buy an interior facing camera is if you drive for Uber or Lyft. Otherwise, it serves no real purpose and, if someone does break into your car, I am confident the cameras are going with them.

K_Hub

Reaction score
From my experience, the only good reason to buy an interior facing camera is if you drive for Uber or Lyft. Otherwise, it serves no real purpose and, if someone does break into your car, I am confident the cameras are going with them.
Hey securityguy, I’m in the market for a camera and you being the leading dash cam expert in this forum I wanted to pick your brain. What is your opinion of the BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE? I’m leaning this route because of their upgraded heat dissipation. I live in a hole in the middle of the desert and we see 120 plus for over a month every year. The LTE functionality is just a plus and I may or may not spring for T-Mobile’s $10 a month 2gb service for it. LTE might come in handy one day having mobile monitoring or use of the hotspot function. I’d love to hear your opinion on that particular model though. Thanks in advance!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey securityguy, I’m in the market for a camera and you being the leading dash cam expert in this forum I wanted to pick your brain. What is your opinion of the BlackVue DR750-2CH LTE? I’m leaning this route because of their upgraded heat dissipation. I live in a hole in the middle of the desert and we see 120 plus for over a month every year. The LTE functionality is just a plus and I may or may not spring for T-Mobile’s $10 a month 2gb service for it. LTE might come in handy one day having mobile monitoring or use of the hotspot function. I’d love to hear your opinion on that particular model though. Thanks in advance!
In my professional opinion, the DR750X-PLUS series are the best dash cams you can buy. A bit more pricey than some, but you do get what you pay for. I use these personally in each of my 4 vehicles and install these in FL. It gets pretty hot here too. Not 120+ but hot enough. I have never had an issue related to heat with the older DR590, DR750, DR750S and now the DR750X-PLUS. The LTE feature is cool if you want to enjoy cloud access, but for most, it is not a real feature that will be used often unless a teenage driver is taking your truck out for a drive and you want to monitor how he/she drives. If your truck has a built-in hot-spot, then the LTE is overkill and not needed. The LTE version also does NOT have the Power Magic Pro circuitry built into it either so, for Parking Mode, you need the additional accessory. The non-LTE version is also cloud based but has the Parking Mode power protection circuitry built-in. It can connect to your trucks hot-spot without it's own LTE built-in.

Totally your call. If the LTE makes you feel better about the heat, then go that route. The LTE is $10 more and then you need the $19 PMP so a $29 cost differential...not a big deal for most people.

Definitely buy this card on Amazon. It is an EXCELLENT card and far cheaper than buying the Blackvue cards. I've been using the Samsung cards for years...never an issue!

I hope this helps you my friend!

K_Hub

Reaction score
In my professional opinion, the DR750X-PLUS series are the best dash cams you can buy. A bit more pricey than some, but you do get what you pay for. I use these personally in each of my 4 vehicles and install these in FL. It gets pretty hot here too. Not 120+ but hot enough. I have never had an issue related to heat with the older DR590, DR750, DR750S and now the DR750X-PLUS. The LTE feature is cool if you want to enjoy cloud access, but for most, it is not a real feature that will be used often unless a teenage driver is taking your truck out for a drive and you want to monitor how he/she drives. If your truck has a built-in hot-spot, then the LTE is overkill and not needed. The LTE version also does NOT have the Power Magic Pro circuitry built into it either so, for Parking Mode, you need the additional accessory. The non-LTE version is also cloud based but has the Parking Mode power protection circuitry built-in. It can connect to your trucks hot-spot without it's own LTE built-in.

Totally your call. If the LTE makes you feel better about the heat, then go that route. The LTE is $10 more and then you need the $19 PMP so a $29 cost differential...not a big deal for most people.

Definitely buy this card on Amazon. It is an EXCELLENT card and far cheaper than buying the Blackvue cards. I've been using the Samsung cards for years...never an issue!

I hope this helps you my friend!

Thank you, sir. I just ordered the LTE with the PMP for 395 including shipping. I do have the hotspot ability in my truck but never activated it. I think I’ll be happy with this setup especially with your stamp of approval on the hardware. I initially preordered a Nexar One but canceled after the ton of release date push backs and doing more research on the BlackVues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you, sir. I just ordered the LTE with the PMP for 395 including shipping. I do have the hotspot ability in my truck but never activated it. I think I’ll be happy with this setup especially with your stamp of approval on the hardware. I initially preordered a Nexar One but canceled after the ton of release date push backs and doing more research on the BlackVues.
When you receive the cameras, and you have questions about anything at all, PM me and we can chat via cell. I don't think you'll be disappointed in your decision. Have a great weekend!

Islander

Reaction score
Hi securityguy...have a question for you when you have a minute:

If I am installing the Blackvue DR750X-Plus and the B-124x Battery Pack, according to what I have read at the DashCamStore site...the battery pack can be hardwired to the trucks ACC and will power the dashcam when the truck is ON and power the dashcam when the ignition is OFF. In other words I ONLY hardwire the B124-X to the truck, then simply plug the dashcam into the B124-x...without needing to hardwire the dashcam directly to the truck's battery.

Is this correct?

I ask because after re-reading this thread I read that the B124-x battery pack is only for powering the dashcam in Parking Mode...but that's not what I am reading in the product literature...or at least my understanding of it

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi securityguy...have a question for you when you have a minute:

If I am installing the Blackvue DR750X-Plus and the B-124x Battery Pack, according to what I have read at the DashCamStore site...the battery pack can be hardwired to the trucks ACC and will power the dashcam when the truck is ON and power the dashcam when the ignition is OFF. In other words I ONLY hardwire the B124-X to the truck, then simply plug the dashcam into the B124-x...without needing to hardwire the dashcam directly to the truck's battery.

Is this correct?

I ask because after re-reading this thread I read that the B124-x battery pack is only for powering the dashcam in Parking Mode...but that's not what I am reading in the product literature...or at least mu understanding of it
The camera does not connect to the fuse box. The battery gets connected to the ignition side of the fuse panel so it charges while the vehicle is on and powers the camera. It also directly supports power to the camera with both ignition on or off for parking mode use. Based on the camera, you may need to tie both the red and yellow together so the camera sees both leads hot so the camera will function correctly. If you want to pm me, I’m happy to give you my cell and we can talk through it once I can see what you’re dealing with connectivity wise at the battery pack.

Islander

Reaction score
The camera does not connect to the fuse box. The battery gets connected to the ignition side of the fuse panel so it charges while the vehicle is on and powers the camera. It also directly supports power to the camera with both ignition on or off for parking mode use. Based on the camera, you may need to tie both the red and yellow together so the camera sees both leads hot so the camera will function correctly. If you want to pm me, I’m happy to give you my cell and we can talk through it once I can see what you’re dealing with connectivity wise at the battery pack.
Got it! What you just explained was my understanding of how it works as well. Thanks for clarifying and your help again. If I run into an issue when I start to install I will PM. Much appreciated!

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I'm new to dashcam tech...would an interior IR camera like the one in your Viofo also turn on and record in Parking Mode if an exterior Motion/Impact is detected? Just wondering if it would capture interior video of someone breaking into a parked car.
I believe all 3 cameras will record in parking mode.

There are several forms of parking mode, depending on the camera/brand:

1. Buffered recording: The camera is constantly recording, but nothing is saved to the SD card. When a motion event occurs, the camera will begin saving the file. It will usually be able to recall 30s before the event and will probably run for another 30s before it stops saving. The event will get its own file. Not all brands are clear if the camera uses the G-sensor or motion detection (in-video), to detect an event.
2. Time Lapse: The camera is ALWAYS recording, but in a lower-power mode, it will only take snapshots every 10 seconds or so.
3. Low-Bitrate: The camera is ALWAYS recording, but at far lower quality to lower power and storage use.

I feel that buffered recording is much more effective, since it will probably save events in the events folder for review.
#1: In cab-recording worked out for me:
I used to drive for Uber/Lyft, so that was a major factor in me getting/liking the interior cams. I also found that they give you a lot of side angles that the F/R cams don't capture.

About a year ago, I rear-ended an older lady that was making a right and stopped just after crossing into an intersection. Ultimately, I was at fault because she was justified stopping (even though she could have EASILY made the turn). Even though it was a 5mph, crash, it did end up being a major personal injury thing. I provided both insurance companies with footage, including footage of me driving. The video shows me paying attention to her, then checking for oncoming traffic at the moment she slammed on her brakes. IMO, I avoided a major 'negligence' lawsuit because I could prove that I wasn't doing anything stupid behind the wheel. It would have been a very difficult case for her to win, if she claimed that I was being malicious or negligent.

#2: Legally speaking:
When it comes to dash cams, it's ultimately the owner/driver's decision to buy a device, choose what to record, and actually act like they are being recorded. Don't record something you're not comfortable recording. For example, I'm often a faster driver, I'm not comfortable recording my speed with the camera's GPS, so I turn it off. On the other hand, I don't like using my phone behind the wheel, and you'll never find me diddling with it, that's why I am comfortable recording myself. Likewise, If I was having conversations I didn't want to record, I could disable the mic. If I don't want to record my cab, that's my prerogative. And lastly, if I don't want to save 3 weeks worth of recordings, I can simply buy a smaller SD card.

I'm not under ANY obligation to purchase a dash cam and video record my driving. I'm under no obligation to have a certain number of cameras pointing in any particular direction. I'm under no obligation to have GPS. I'm under no obligation to record sound. I'm under no obligation to save the videos any longer than the SD card and Camera are naturally able to retain.
BUT!!!!!!
If I do choose to record video, from whatever angle. If I choose to record my speed, choose to record my conversations, choose to throw in a 2TB card that can hold a month's worth of footage, etc. I am legally obligated not to destroy it. I can't legally take the SD card out and bite it in half, it's destruction of evidence.

Record ONLY what you are comfortable recording. It's optional, but it can bite you in the ***.

#3: Criminals and Valet:
I've found that many experienced valet drivers will look for dash cams and disable them. I parked in NYC last year and I found that all footage was missing between the moment I dropped off the car to the moment I picked up the car. Not that I suspect anything happened, but they are aware and they don't like to be recorded. They seem to practice this as standard procedure. A criminal will probably do the same thing, and then some.

When I wire in my A139, I plan to hide it as well as I can. For the outward-facing cameras, I will probably mount as high as possible and cover them so they look like factory plastic trim. I haven't yet decided how, I may attempt to 3D print something and wet sand it down to an OEM finish. For the inside camera, I will attempt to do something similar to make it look integrated.

Overall, I don't want people disabling them or taking them. I've found that security cameras and dash cams are simply more effective when other people don't know they exist. I'll post updates when I begin the install.

Islander

Reaction score
I believe all 3 cameras will record in parking mode.

There are several forms of parking mode, depending on the camera/brand:

1. Buffered recording: The camera is constantly recording, but nothing is saved to the SD card. When a motion event occurs, the camera will begin saving the file. It will usually be able to recall 30s before the event and will probably run for another 30s before it stops saving. The event will get its own file. Not all brands are clear if the camera uses the G-sensor or motion detection (in-video), to detect an event.
2. Time Lapse: The camera is ALWAYS recording, but in a lower-power mode, it will only take snapshots every 10 seconds or so.
3. Low-Bitrate: The camera is ALWAYS recording, but at far lower quality to lower power and storage use.

I feel that buffered recording is much more effective, since it will probably save events in the events folder for review.

#1: In cab-recording worked out for me:
I used to drive for Uber/Lyft, so that was a major factor in me getting/liking the interior cams. I also found that they give you a lot of side angles that the F/R cams don't capture.

About a year ago, I rear-ended an older lady that was making a right and stopped just after crossing into an intersection. Ultimately, I was at fault because she was justified stopping (even though she could have EASILY made the turn). Even though it was a 5mph, crash, it did end up being a major personal injury thing. I provided both insurance companies with footage, including footage of me driving. The video shows me paying attention to her, then checking for oncoming traffic at the moment she slammed on her brakes. IMO, I avoided a major 'negligence' lawsuit because I could prove that I wasn't doing anything stupid behind the wheel. It would have been a very difficult case for her to win, if she claimed that I was being malicious or negligent.

#2: Legally speaking:
When it comes to dash cams, it's ultimately the owner/driver's decision to buy a device, choose what to record, and actually act like they are being recorded. Don't record something you're not comfortable recording. For example, I'm often a faster driver, I'm not comfortable recording my speed with the camera's GPS, so I turn it off. On the other hand, I don't like using my phone behind the wheel, and you'll never find me diddling with it, that's why I am comfortable recording myself. Likewise, If I was having conversations I didn't want to record, I could disable the mic. If I don't want to record my cab, that's my prerogative. And lastly, if I don't want to save 3 weeks worth of recordings, I can simply buy a smaller SD card.

I'm not under ANY obligation to purchase a dash cam and video record my driving. I'm under no obligation to have a certain number of cameras pointing in any particular direction. I'm under no obligation to have GPS. I'm under no obligation to record sound. I'm under no obligation to save the videos any longer than the SD card and Camera are naturally able to retain.
BUT!!!!!!
If I do choose to record video, from whatever angle. If I choose to record my speed, choose to record my conversations, choose to throw in a 2TB card that can hold a month's worth of footage, etc. I am legally obligated not to destroy it. I can't legally take the SD card out and bite it in half, it's destruction of evidence.

Record ONLY what you are comfortable recording. It's optional, but it can bite you in the ***.

#3: Criminals and Valet:
I've found that many experienced valet drivers will look for dash cams and disable them. I parked in NYC last year and I found that all footage was missing between the moment I dropped off the car to the moment I picked up the car. Not that I suspect anything happened, but they are aware and they don't like to be recorded. They seem to practice this as standard procedure. A criminal will probably do the same thing, and then some.

When I wire in my A139, I plan to hide it as well as I can. For the outward-facing cameras, I will probably mount as high as possible and cover them so they look like factory plastic trim. I haven't yet decided how, I may attempt to 3D print something and wet sand it down to an OEM finish. For the inside camera, I will attempt to do something similar to make it look integrated.

Overall, I don't want people disabling them or taking them. I've found that security cameras and dash cams are simply more effective when other people don't know they exist. I'll post updates when I begin the install.
Thanks Ninety...an interesting read about your experiences

K_Hub

Reaction score
When you receive the cameras, and you have questions about anything at all, PM me and we can chat via cell. I don't think you'll be disappointed in your decision. Have a great weekend!
Thank you @securityguy! I had originally ordered a DR750-2CH-LTE with the PMP for $395.00 from another company (I have since canceled my order) but contacted the Dashcamstore on your suggestion and got a big upgrade. Yesterday I was able to order their last DR750X-PLUS-2CH-LTE, without the sim card included, including a 128GB card (smallest they had left), and the PMP for $410 out the door. Just looked today and the new model for the same setup would have set me back $540. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I'll keep you posted when everything gets in and I get it installed. I have the sim on order as well so hopefully I'm 100% up and running next week.

K_Hub

Reaction score
DR750X LTE 2 CH with power magic pro installed today after some guidance on wire routing from [mention]securityguy [/mention] I couldn’t be happier with the set up. Blackvue states they don’t support Verizon but I pulled the sim from my Verizon hotspot and after about 10 minutes got it to connect. Anyone looking to do this in the future set your APN to “vzwinternet”. The camera immediately connected to the network after this change. My Verizon account states it’s incompatible but all functions seem to work flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I have my triple camera and Valentine 1 set up on the 12V plug, I still need to direct-wire & hide all wiring, plus I want to cover the main unit, which I'll probably just 3D print a cover and sand it down to the proper finish.

Any recommendations on a power source? I need an always-on source + an accessory/ignition source, because I plan to use parking mode.

B0VsfVb.jpg

2v4fYxd.jpg

VOOx0FD.jpg

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have my triple camera and Valentine 1 set up on the 12V plug, I still need to direct-wire & hide all wiring, plus I want to cover the main unit, which I'll probably just 3D print a cover and sand it down to the proper finish.

Any recommendations on a power source? I need an always-on source + an accessory/ignition source, because I plan to use parking mode.

B0VsfVb.jpg

2v4fYxd.jpg

VOOx0FD.jpg
F66 will get you a switched IGN source (for both your dash cam and radar detector) and F33 will get you a constant battery supply for your dash cams parking mode.

WhiteKnight4x4

Reaction score
Not sure if this question has been asked before. On rear facing cameras, does ceramic tint(20%) affect performance and image quality?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure if this question has been asked before. On rear facing cameras, does ceramic tint(20%) affect performance and image quality?
Anytime you run a camera through tint it will have an impact. However, it is not a show stopper by any means and will still provide a quality image and capture what you need.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just installed the VIOFO A119 V3 in my kids school car. I opted for this one because it has a GPS unit on it and will overlay GPS info into the video such as speed and location. Being my kids school car, wanted to keep tabs on them, while also offering the CYA protection of a dash cam. It's on sale right now on Amazon for $99

Islander

Reaction score
Hey All,

After reading this thread more than a couple times to learn about dashcams and what/how you guys have gone about the process...plus several messages to @securityguy (many thanks to you!)...I finally received and got my dual-channel Thinkware U1000+Radar Module installed.

Although the form factor of the Blackvue DR750X sold me...I ended up going with Thinkware because of the Energy Saving mode you get with Radar which allows me to park for a week or more when running off a dedicated iVolt Battery Pack....since I do very low mileage. Hid the battery pack at the bottom of my center console and all wiring running along the headliner and secured behind airbags. Took me about 5 hours.

Bought everything from TheDashcamStore. Great outfit...very quick to answer questions, plus I bought their Custom Folded Bracket..which I then folded some more and clipped it over top of the sliding rear window frame to get it centered.

Anyway just thought I'd post some pics....thanks again for the helpful suggestions @securityguy...very pleased with the end result!

Attachments

• 20220617_144434.jpg
    20220617_144434.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220617_144507.jpg
    20220617_144507.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220617_144401.jpg
    20220617_144401.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220617_144412.jpg
    20220617_144412.jpg