5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BEST Cap/Top out there...... RSI SmartCap ?

Have you heard of the SmartCap?

• Yes, I have it installed and Love it!

Votes: 34 20.7%
  • Yes, I have it installed, but not really worth the price!

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Yes, Very interested in getting one!

Votes: 84 51.2%
  • Yes, but not interested, way too pricey!

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • No, where the heck is South Africa?

Votes: 19 11.6%

• Total voters

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
Anyone had luck ordering? RSI told me no inventory in US until June
I ordered my RSI EVO cap online direct and it took about a week for it to arrive. Accessories are taking longer. I had a hard time finding the correct rhino rack hardware/load bars for cap so I just ended up trimming the square inserts to fit the RSI cap tracks. RSI said their load bars are on back order until May, which didn‘t work for me. Rhino rack products will work, I’m sure Thule has a rack that’ll work too.
I called a local dealer/installer and they said same time frame for RSI caps- about a week.

GTLimited

Reaction score
Has anyone here looked into their commercial EVO C cap and having it painted? I'd much prefer the security of the solid side panels and security mesh rear glass.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I ordered my RSI EVO cap online direct and it took about a week for it to arrive. Accessories are taking longer. I had a hard time finding the correct rhino rack hardware/load bars for cap so I just ended up trimming the square inserts to fit the RSI cap tracks. RSI said their load bars are on back order until May, which didn‘t work for me. Rhino rack products will work, I’m sure Thule has a rack that’ll work too.
I called a local dealer/installer and they said same time frame for RSI caps- about a week.
When did you order it? I ordered one two weeks ago through my local truck shop, and they said everything is backed up one to two months now.

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
When did you order it? I ordered one two weeks ago through my local truck shop, and they said everything is backed up one to two months now.
I ordered it about three weeks ago. They called a week later and said it was in. I called RSI USA and they told me a month ago there was plenty of stock in the US. Maybe they sold a bunch of them in last month?
I got the smart cap Evo. Is that the same model your looking at?

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
Here‘s my ram with smart cap and rhino load bars attached. I had to fabricate my own inserts to fit the smart cap tracks which took some time but it’s solid- very nice roof rack system.
Those are rhino’s 60” load aero bars. Rhino sells a heavier rack system with square bars. All the gull wing doors clear the bars on the sides and above the tailgate.

Attachments

• C90B9E74-D69D-459B-BC63-FD5AC0CDA607.jpeg
    C90B9E74-D69D-459B-BC63-FD5AC0CDA607.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 276
  • CC0837A5-ADD4-4C87-ADE6-5980230E4B15.jpeg
    CC0837A5-ADD4-4C87-ADE6-5980230E4B15.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 276

SFAngus

Reaction score
Here‘s my ram with smart cap and rhino load bars attached. I had to fabricate my own inserts to fit the smart cap tracks which took some time but it’s solid- very nice roof rack system.
Those are rhino’s 60” load aero bars. Rhino sells a heavier rack system with square bars. All the gull wing doors clear the bars on the sides and above the tailgate.
Very nice! Can't wait for mine.

SFAngus

Reaction score
I ordered it about three weeks ago. They called a week later and said it was in. I called RSI USA and they told me a month ago there was plenty of stock in the US. Maybe they sold a bunch of them in last month?
I got the smart cap Evo. Is that the same model your looking at?
Yes, that's the same one I ordered... oh well!

TraptuR

Reaction score
Read through all pages, Does anyone have any experience and pictures of how the trucks 3rd brake light camera video looks through the sight window? i've got a 2500.

outdoorco75

Reaction score
Read through all pages, Does anyone have any experience and pictures of how the trucks 3rd brake light camera video looks through the sight window? i've got a 2500.

I don’t have a video but I can tell you I never use it now. You can’t see much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danny6876

Reaction score
Do they send an email when it ships? I just order mine direct from RSI on Tuesday.

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
My backup cam is located on the tailgate. Are the 3/4 ton rams different? Or do you have a split tailgate?

Mtnsurf20

Reaction score
Were you able to get an eta for your cap?

danny6876

Reaction score
My backup cam is located on the tailgate. Are the 3/4 ton rams different? Or do you have a split tailgate?
On the new models there is a camera in the brake light that's just for our LCD rear view camera. The backup cameras are still in the tailgate handles. Two separate camera.

PHFT

Reaction score
For anyone with the Smartcap load bars, do you think it's strong enough to run straps around it to hoist the cap off the truck and then lower it onto a stand for when I don't want the cap on?

And before people comment "just get some buddies to help you lift it off" I live in a rural area my neighbours are old and I do not want to have to rely on anyone else to take my cap on or off.

Last edited:

outdoorco75

Reaction score
For anyone with the Smartcap load bars, do you think it's strong enough to run straps around it to hoist the cap off the truck and then lower it onto a stand for when I don't want the cap on?

And before people comment "just get some buddies to help you lift it off" I live in a rural area my neighbours are old and I do not want to have to rely on anyone else to take my cap on or off.

I would think the safer way would be to open the windoors and put a strap through the opening on either end. I am pretty sure it weighs close to 200 lbs, so I wouldn’t trust hanging from the load bars.

Boston

Reaction score
$4k might be worth it, for overlanding if you say want to put an RTT on. But if you want that, why not get an Alucab?

808BigHorn

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab. I’ve had the EVO on for over a month now and I am totally satisfied with its look and performance. I too have run across a back order in RSI load bars and platform rack but doing a little research was told that the AluCab 1450 load bars will work with the hardware below (most SA and Aussie based canopies and accessories use the same type of hardware I was told). The AluCab bars also have more mounting points.

It rains ALL the time where I live and 99% of the water intrusion for this topper is because of an error in installation. We cut the seal about a 1/2” short on both sides and these small gaps just invites water in, especially since my truck has a slight (lol) rake.

As another note the EVO for the 6’4” bed is around 240 lbs. I did have Dayton CargoMaxx XHD rear springs installed to compensate not only for the topper weight but for my overall camping load as well.

Being in Hawaii Leer and Snugtop fiberglass shells come landed here for between $4600 - $4800 optioned out, so the $4000 for the EVO is a relative steal. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• B46F3D48-9F39-44B1-8CA7-EDD82FF0F8FF.jpeg
    B46F3D48-9F39-44B1-8CA7-EDD82FF0F8FF.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 223
  • D17BA7BA-B3E2-433A-8032-08E695339864.jpeg
    D17BA7BA-B3E2-433A-8032-08E695339864.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 451D6AD7-65F0-4E68-9D53-A9E0D300F2BD.jpeg
    451D6AD7-65F0-4E68-9D53-A9E0D300F2BD.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 220

Dillbody

Reaction score
So if you are planning on getting a Smartcap, there's no need in ordering a RAM with the Technology package bc the cap is going to block the rearview mirror camera. Is that right?

outdoorco75

Reaction score
So if you are planning on getting a Smartcap, there's no need in ordering a RAM with the Technology package bc the cap is going to block the rearview mirror camera. Is that right?

Correct, but there are other items
In tech package as well. You can still see stuff from camera but it’s not very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread