5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CAI

CrookedLetta

Reaction score
I am not concerned on what I feel, I am concerned on an increase. Period.
Again, sound is also very important.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
And an increase only matters if you can feel it. In the end...you're happy then we're all happy. You want meaningful sound that will put a smile on your face? Then invest your money in a new exhaust...either a muffler replacement like the Magnaflow B2 or a full cutback system from Magnaflow or Borla. The B2 kit you can install yourself and it costs under $300. You really want to feel a kick in @$$? Then get a Pedal Commander. Enjoy your truck

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Engine is just a fancy air pump. If your going to increase intake, you have to increase output at the tail pipe. A chip or tune in between just makes it all work together more efficiently for improved power, performance, or economy. Had an '05 Duramax and went with CAI and larger duel exhaust. Improved all performance and MPG. But the super chip really made the difference. Performance mode was scary.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I'd go with a closed box air intake, I don't buy the whole "it seals against the hood" crap. Unfortunately for me there isn't a CAI available for the 2020 Pentastar yet.

whetrick1

Reaction score
I'd go with a closed box air intake, I don't buy the whole "it seals against the hood" crap. Unfortunately for me there isn't a CAI available for the 2020 Pentastar yet.

It’s all personal preferences. You get what you like. If you like the the enclosed ones get it. But if you are going to get a enclosed one, why spend the money and keep what you already have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It’s all personal preferences. You get what you like. If you like the the enclosed ones get it. But if you are going to get a enclosed one, why spend the money and keep what you already have one.
I believe that there is an insignificant difference between stock and an aftermarket CAI except for the noise. I dropped a high quality AEM dry filter into my intake and removed the carbon filter. I'd bet it performs darn close to those spending all this money to replace their boxes. If you LOVE the looks of a new box, and like the additional sound, then by all means buy yourself a box but don't except much of an increase, if any, in performance.

SColang22

Reaction score
I believe that there is an insignificant difference between stock and an aftermarket CAI except for the noise. I dropped a high quality AEM dry filter into my intake and removed the carbon filter. I'd bet it performs darn close to those spending all this money to replace their boxes. If you LOVE the looks of a new box, and like the additional sound, then by all means buy yourself a box but don't except much of an increase, if any, in performance.
it all depends. If you get one with a bigger inlet and can tune then you'll see more than out of just a filter swap and a tune. Not talking a huge difference but definitely some

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
it all depends. If you get one with a bigger inlet and can tune then you'll see more than out of just a filter swap and a tune. Not talking a huge difference but definitely some
Totally agree that if you invest in the "box" and plan to do a tune, that may help but I don't believe that most folks adding CAI's are planning on doing a tune. The stock exhaust is actually VERY good too...all you really need to do is replace the muffler. A cat-back is a waste unless you are looking for a different look.

SColang22

Reaction score
Totally agree that if you invest in the "box" and plan to do a tune, that may help but I don't believe that most folks adding CAI's are planning on doing a tune. The stock exhaust is actually VERY good too...all you really need to do is replace the muffler. A cat-back is a waste unless you are looking for a different look.
Again if you can get a catback with 3" pipes instead of 2.5 then its gonna be better and if you can go to true dual exhaust then your going to be better off as well but I agree most people just throwing a CAI would be better off just getting a better filter and removing the carbon filter

Bubba33

Reaction score
They all give you seat in the pants power . And sound like you're going fast.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spend your money how you want, IDGAF, but NOTHING will "add" hp to what FCA gave you from stock from bolting on a do-dad or a widget. Add FI for real results or heads/cam/tune...okay, MAYbe a 40 HP (10%) increase and worth about .3 on a time slip at the track.
Understand the speed density tuning, the efficiency of the "fancy air pump", and the R&D they put into what the factory gives you before you go bolting on something that's only trying to wedge itself between you and your money prior to doing it.
Again, IDGAF what anyone spends money on....enjoy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Again if you can get a catback with 3" pipes instead of 2.5 then its gonna be better and if you can go to true dual exhaust then your going to be better off as well...
Not necessarily on a stock engine...you’d potentially gain a few high-RPM horsepower at the expense of low-end torque. It’s all dependent on how much airflow the HEMI actually needs in its stock form.

SColang22

Reaction score
Not necessarily on a stock engine...you’d potentially gain a few high-RPM horsepower at the expense of low-end torque. It’s all dependent on how much airflow the HEMI actually needs in its stock form.
On any engine if you open up the flow and remove the resonators you’ll make more power

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

SColang22

Reaction score
Hahaha. Sure, why not run a 6” exhaust?

I Googled this for you; it makes for good reading and explains why too big and too small are both bad:
https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/exhaust-pipes-is-bigger-better/
Well no duh you have to find the right size for your engine. I thought we were using common sense and not being ridiculous. Common man. Don’t try to act like a know it all by stretching simple statements. I’m pretty sure I said going from 2.5” to 3”.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well no duh you have to find the right size for your engine. I thought we were using common sense and not being ridiculous. Common man. Don’t try to act like a know it all by stretching simple statements. I’m pretty sure I said going from 2.5” to 3”.
You said, and I quote:

“On any engine if you open up the flow and remove the resonators you’ll make more power”

That’s simply not true for “any” engine. There are many examples of vehicles where the stock exhaust is optimized for the stock engine. “Opening up the flow”, as you state, would actually compromise performance.

Heading back towards the topic at hand: the same is true for CAIs. On some vehicles, a less-restrictive intake provides real gains, particularly at high RPM. On others, a CAI is nothing more than a noisemaker, as the factory intake has already been optimized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online