5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beeping at highway speeds. someone please help.

Chris freeman

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a chime? Mine did the chime thing with the front and rear parking sensors. There's a TSB for that and it would do it while driving down the freeway (when the parking sensors should be unconcerned with parking! :)
It doesn’t sound like a chime to me. maybe i’m wrong. here’s a video

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It does not sound like a beep or a chime in the video. It kind of sounds like a whistle. I know that there have been many reports of open holes in the firewall and some behind the dash under the pillar. Do you feel any breeze or think that could be it? I am sure you know the difference between that and an electronic beep. I am just spitballing an idea out there.

Ha! Posted the same time as @Darksteel165

jkm312

Reaction score
here a video i took

I chased a similar sound like that in an 02 Trailblazer I had. Turned out it came from the spare tire hanging in the back. ALL tires loose air over time. As it lost air it shrank in size and there for not tight up against the body. What I heard was the tire bouncing around on the hanger. Effing stupid, but I got it figured out. Had a good laugh and a couple of cold ones. Problem solved. Sold it couple of years ago and I still miss it because it was really comfortable for me.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the group here. That’s not an electronic beep, it’s intermittent whistling (or rubbing?). Given that it’s speed-sensitive, I would assume it’s due to air flow.
With that said, it’s worth checking that someone isn’t messing with you.

1715043764591.png

skyhawk42

Reaction score
When it’s making the noise try turning your wipers on and see if it stops. I have a similar noise on mine that’s not nearly that loud and I can’t find it, but I noticed it stops when the wipers are moving. If that doesn’t work try unplugging the factory amp under the drivers seat to eliminate the anc being the issue

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When it’s making the noise try turning your wipers on and see if it stops. I have a similar noise on mine that’s not nearly that loud and I can’t find it, but I noticed it stops when the wipers are moving. If that doesn’t work try unplugging the factory amp under the drivers seat to eliminate the anc being the issue
Can just slightly crack the window to disable anc for testing. I don't think it's from a speaker though but I guess anything is possible.

Chris freeman

Reaction score
It does not sound like a beep or a chime in the video. It kind of sounds like a whistle. I know that there have been many reports of open holes in the firewall and some behind the dash under the pillar. Do you feel any breeze or think that could be it? I am sure you know the difference between that and an electronic beep. I am just spitballing an idea out there.

Ha! Posted the same time as @Darksteel165
yeah, i completely get why people think it’s a whistle, at first i did too. some times it’s a beeping but sometimes it beeps so fast it sounds like a whistling. i know that sounds funny but that’s how it is.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
yeah, i completely get why people think it’s a whistle, at first i did too. some times it’s a beeping but sometimes it beeps so fast it sounds like a whistling. i know that sounds funny but that’s how it is.
Yea, some noises are hard to track. A recording can be deceiving compared to being there.

In the video, it looks like there is a rapidly flashing orange light on your screen. Is that really flashing or a trick of the recording?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, some noises are hard to track. A recording can be deceiving compared to being there.

In the video, it looks like there is a rapidly flashing orange light on your screen. Is that really flashing or a trick of the recording?
Looks like you're on to something. It's the "Auto" button for climate control - the light appears to be going haywire. If that's the case, then maybe it's something in the Uconnect unit that is freaking out and beeping.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same exact sound and it’s definitely an electronic beep. It sounds like the parking sensors, but turning them off does nothing.

I’ve had this issue for years and never been able to solve it. For me it only happens with a strong crosswind.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like you're on to something. It's the "Auto" button for climate control - the light appears to be going haywire. If that's the case, then maybe it's something in the Uconnect unit that is freaking out and beeping.
It’s just the frequency of the LED indicator light’s duty cycle doesn’t match up with the camera frames per second.
Same thing happens with the digital rear view mirror and people that have crappy aftermarket LED headlights (and think they’re good)- they flicker on and off in the rear view mirror image, but can’t tell with naked eye.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is a windshield whistle. I've had that on a previous vehicle. To eliminate possibility of such surround windshield edges with painters tape covering the gap all around top three sides then test drive. It's a simple test worth trying to be sure.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s just the frequency of the LED indicator light’s duty cycle doesn’t match up with the camera frames per second.
Same thing happens with the digital rear view mirror and people that have crappy aftermarket LED headlights (and think they’re good)- they flicker on and off in the rear view mirror image, but can’t tell with naked eye.
Ah, good point. I get that a lot when I look in my digital rearview mirror - then I freak out and slow down for a half second because I think it's a cop or something

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ah, good point. I get that a lot when I look in my digital rearview mirror - then I freak out and slow down for a half second because I think it's a cop or something
Happens to me a lot too. Almost always a Hyundai for some reason.
There are at least 2 TSBs I know of for wind noise. My problem is not as bad but it's the TSB I linked with the bad seal.
2 different dealerships wouldn't do anything and played games saying the can't hear it (it's very easy to hear), I bet beceuae they know the fix involves removing the entire dash.
There is another TSB for pinholes nesr the A pillar.

If OP toggles their recirc and the sound stays the same it's likely not the bad seal.
Its eaysier if you can get someone else to drive and you can sit in the passenger and try to narrow down where the sound is coming from. Bonus points if you take put your bottom glovebox prior if you think the sound is coming from the seal

Users who are viewing this thread