5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step suggestions

Cajun_

Reaction score
Excellent point. Looking at the bed step picture I see a large opening on the step bracket in the area of where the wiring harness connector is located on the truck frame.

Any advice on how to disconnect the wiring plug. The plug on this 2022 Laramie has tape wrapped around it and there are white circular plastic piece on both sides of the plug. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.
My advice is to get your phone up there and start taking photos until you are sure any locking tabs are in the correct location before you start trying to yank the plug open. Speaking from experience here since my plug is now held together with zip ties.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is a good place to get the MOPAR step? I've seen a place pop up called BAMWholesale in my search.
Check with your parts dept. too, you may be able to get it cheaper. But BAMWholesale would be a good choice. I Saved on shipping over the Pacific Ocean, and dealer provided a 10% loyalty discount, which was still way cheaper than me ordering it online. 👍

Ripchen

Reaction score
Just FYI - I found this in the comments on a youtube video but I have not tried it myself so cannot share any experience

"You have to pull the red tab, push down on the little black tab, then pull the white lever to unlatch the barrel lock. It is a ***** to do."

other comments state it is easy to break the connector

Cajun_

Reaction score
Just FYI - I found this in the comments on a youtube video but I have not tried it myself so cannot share any experience

"You have to pull the red tab, push down on the little black tab, then pull the white lever to unlatch the barrel lock. It is a ***** to do."

other comments state it is easy to break the connector
yes. yes it is. :rolleyes:

Bob.

Reaction score
I'm doing the step as I type this. Ebay has them for $200 as a take off unit. I went for the new unit from a mopar dealer on Amazon for $300 shipped.

I believe on the top of the plug there is a red latch you slide forward or backwards. then you press on the black tab. The white buckle will rotate around to the male plug that your trying to remove when you pull on it. But I haven't done this yet so take my way with a grain of salt. I was watching youtube videos to learn myself.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Have they changed this step? I installed the OEM Mopar corner step on my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and didn't have to mess with any wiring. Are we all talking about the same step? This is the step I assumed the OP was asking about...
Corner bed step.JPG

Cajun_

Reaction score
Have they changed this step? I installed the OEM Mopar corner step on my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and didn't have to mess with any wiring. Are we all talking about the same step? This is the step I assumed the OP was asking about...
View attachment 111225
You should have to disconnect a harness and pass it through the mounting bracket and reconnect it.

GM26J

Reaction score
Just did this install yesterday on my 2021. You have to remove one harness attach point (plastic push-in fastener) and unplug the large connector. You do this by sliding the red tab on top backward, press the black tab in front of the red connector down, rotate the white locking mechanism upward, and probably break off the black tab anyway.

Once you have the connector off and the harness cleared, you can mount the step (remembering to snake the harness through the step opening), reinstall the two bumper bolts, install the provided lower bolt, torque to 125 ft/lbs, then plug the big harness connector back in putting a zip tie around the entire body since you broke off part of the locking mechanism :)

Once all that's done it does work pretty nicely.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 111225
I had the same result. Position of my harness made it near to impossible to disconnect. But, position of my harness also meant I did not need to re-route the harness through the mounting bracket. My harness actually sits higher to the underneath of the bed, and not on the frame. Wire bundle is routed around the mounting area for the step, and does not come in to contact with the step at all. Made install so much easier.

Cajun_

Reaction score
I
Just did this install yesterday on my 2021. You have to remove one harness attach point (plastic push-in fastener) and unplug the large connector. You do this by sliding the red tab on top backward, press the black tab in front of the red connector down, rotate the white locking mechanism upward, and probably break off the black tab anyway.

Once you have the connector off and the harness cleared, you can mount the step (remembering to snake the harness through the step opening), reinstall the two bumper bolts, install the provided lower bolt, torque to 125 ft/lbs, then plug the big harness connector back in putting a zip tie around the entire body since you broke off part of the locking mechanism :)

Once all that's done it does work pretty nicely.
I recommend 2 zip ties in a cross fashion.

Bob.

Reaction score
I just finished my installation of the Mopar step. Well worth the money.

To remove that fancy wiring harness on the 2021 1500, there is a red slide button on the top of the plug. Use a mirror if you need to see exactly what it looks like. Slide that red button towards the rear of the truck. You will hear a positive click as it moves into position. Press on that black tab that is underneath the red switch that you just slid. Then take that large turn buckle and pull it towards the rear of the truck. As you pull that buckle the male plug is unplugged from the female plug. I had to remove it to mainly unbolt the 2 bolts, then to bolt up the step using the 3 bolts used.
It's easy to unplug the plug.
When you plug it together, slide the male into the female and turn that buckle back like you found it. Push that red switch forward until you hear that click again.

Took me 40 minutes in the dark using a flashlight tonight after work. The same sized socket does all 3 bolts. It was a standard sized socket, not metric but I don't remember the size. Maybe 13/16" but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:

Bob.

Reaction score
Excellent point. Looking at the bed step picture I see a large opening on the step bracket in the area of where the wiring harness connector is located on the truck frame.

Any advice on how to disconnect the wiring plug. The plug on this 2022 Laramie has tape wrapped around it and there are white circular plastic piece on both sides of the plug. Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.
I made a less than 3 minute video on how to deal with that plug. Watch here if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread