5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Step Install Doc and Pics

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is MoparAmerica shipping the new re-engineered one?

Spoke to Jon at MoparAmerica today, he said I got the last one. Received my confirmation that it shipped today. He said they sold around a hundred of them in the past 2 weeks. Now like everyone else has been saying they won't have any in stock until the manufacturing review is completed. He said he doesn't know what it's all about or when they will begin production again.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I haven't read all 10 prior pages of this thread so I apologize if I'm posting information that is already covered here:

First off, I just installed my step and it clears the exhaust. I just had to move one section of a wiring bundle out of the way then zip tie it in place once the step was installed.

Second, and I don't know whether to be pissed off about it or happy about it: I have a 12/18 build and didn't need the nut on the stick for the third bolt. A nut was already welded in place OE so tightening up that bolt was just a matter zapping it with the impact wrench.

Here's why I don't know whether I'm happy or pissed: Happy because I didn't have to fiddle with a nut on a stick. Not happy because I fiddled with a nut on a stick for a good bit before figuring out a nut was already welded in place. Okay, I'm a slow learner, but it was very frustrating until the light bulb went on.

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
What is the problem with the steps that causes them to be on backorder? I read in this thread that the step is being re-engineered...what will be different?

BTW, I just received my yesterday. Does that mean I have a re-designed unit?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
What is the problem with the steps that causes them to be on backorder? I read in this thread that the step is being re-engineered...what will be different?

BTW, I just received my yesterday. Does that mean I have a re-designed unit?

If you have part number 82215289AB then you have the one everyone else has. Some people have said that it is under engineering review because you have to unclip a wiring harness from the frame and there is no place to reattach it. After installing mine I think it’s because it is very close to the resonator on that side and mine makes contact with it when I close it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dog Hauler

Reaction score
I did not check the part number, but I had to move part of the wiring harness and there isn’t much clearance between my step and the resonator. I must have the old part.

Re-securing the wiring harness was no big deal. I zip tied it to another part of the harness. It seems secure.

There is only about an inch clearance between the step and the resonator but unless there is far more movement with the rubber resonator mount than anticipated, there won’t be any interference.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have had the thought of putting some PPF on the bumper side to protect the paint from heavier boots when opening/closing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have had the thought of putting some PPF on the bumper side to protect the paint from heavier boots when opening/closing.
I have chrome bumpers, so I’m more worried about the plastic and nearby sensor.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Got mine installed today and wow, this thing's heavy duty. From what I can tell there will be just enough room to put a light just above the step, might do that tomorrow.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got mine installed today and wow, this thing's heavy duty. From what I can tell there will be just enough room to put a light just above the step, might do that tomorrow.

A light would be pretty cool and easy to tap into the bed lights. Let us know how it turns out.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
A light would be pretty cool and easy to tap into the bed lights. Let us know how it turns out.
Turned out awesome!! I was able to get the light at the perfect angle as to allow for complete functionality, but also give great light coverage on the top of the step. The light turns on whenever there is a door/tailgate open, when the step's retracted it covers the light so you can't even tell it's there. There was an existing bolt that I used, so it's another "no drill" install, and I ended up using the demo light that came in the light kit that I used on my custom bed lights. (search "Bed lighting kit") If you're looking to do this and have the factory bed lighting kit then I can't help with the wiring unfortunately. IMG_4421.JPG IMG_4422.JPG

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turned out awesome!! I was able to get the light at the perfect angle as to allow for complete functionality, but also give great light coverage on the top of the step. The light turns on whenever there is a door/tailgate open, when the step's retracted it covers the light so you can't even tell it's there. There was an existing bolt that I used, so it's another "no drill" install, and I ended up using the demo light that came in the light kit that I used on my custom bed lights. (search "Bed lighting kit") If you're looking to do this and have the factory bed lighting kit then I can't help with the wiring unfortunately. View attachment 15430 View attachment 15431
I like that look but don’t think I’m going to try to figure out wiring... I got my step today and may try to put it on tonight.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I got my box today with a hole in the bottom. Aside from the step was two bolts and one nut. Is that what others are receiving too or am I missing a bolt? The instructions say there should be 3. I've already emailed MoparAmerica as well.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I got my box today with a hole in the bottom. Aside from the step was two bolts and one nut. Is that what others are receiving too or am I missing a bolt? The instructions say there should be 3. I've already emailed MoparAmerica as well.
There should be three bolts, one plain nut, and one nut with a handle welded to it. Some people have said on their later build date trucks that the nuts are already welded to the frame, if that's the case for you then you will only need the three bolts.

Max Limited

Reaction score
My box had a hole in the bottom also! Someone had taped it up.

I did get 3 bolts, one nut and one nut on a stick.

Hopefully install it this weekend. The weekdays have been bright and sunny and the weekends dull and wet.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My box had a hole in the bottom also! Someone had taped it up.

I did get 3 bolts, one nut and one nut on a stick.

Hopefully install it this weekend. The weekdays have been bright and sunny and the weekends dull and wet.
I didn’t need most of those nuts and had to reuse one of the bolts that I removed

SacRebel

Reaction score
I didn’t need to use any of the included nuts on my Rebel with a 10/2018 build date. There would have been no access to the top bolts from below anyhow. I will say using a torque wrench in that awkward space was a *****, but with patience you can get it.

Max Limited

Reaction score
Got mine installed this weekend but the nut on a stick was a pain, but with patience, got it.
The step is amazing, I wonder how I got along without it.
I have about 1.5 inch gap between the step and my Borla exhaust tips.
If you use you bed and get in and out of it on a regular basis, this step is a must have.

Rich

Reaction score
I was at my dealer on Friday Feb 9th, and he said the bed step is still not released from engineering. They expect the release about Feb 15th, but that's not a hard date and it could change.

Jakehale

Reaction score
This will fit the Rebel; you think? 2019 version

Just noticed no one who's posted has the Rebel.

The part number you gave, at least at Moparamerica looks to be 2018. 2019 version is 82215289AD. I am sure it is the same, since everyone (here) has a 2019.

thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread