5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting Kit

Jordan2929

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group so I missed out on the bed lights, which are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And now you have bed lights for under $20. PS, If you run into an issue where the aftermarket lights don't work I recommend swapping the cargo lights mounted in the third brake light housing to LED, that has solved the issue for the couple of people it happened to. Here's a link to the set that I used.

IMG_4139.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_4141.JPG IMG_4144.JPG

Last edited:

Syman02

Reaction score
Looks great! Better than the route I went of having the Mopar ones installed after I got the truck. Slightly pricey, especially when the dealer has to hook up the truck to the computer to make the lights function properly.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice, thanks for the write up. Very useful to help others aid in doing something similar.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I ran the wire out the cab and down the frame, up the rear steak pocket in the back of the bed.

RT70808

Reaction score
I just want to say, posts like this are why I visit the forum. Lots of threads go sideways with the usual, x percent of owners have issues, forums are a small sample blah blah. Not saying people don’t deserve a place to rant, just saying THANKS for all posts like this one. I have the factory lights so I don’t need this but I do enjoy learning more about my ride.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Now you just need to swap out those awful incandescent cargo lamps that ram thought would be acceptable, lol. Looks good though!

vondarius20

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20.
May I ask where you found the wiring diagram?

vondarius20

Reaction score
My truck didn't come with the bed utility group which means I missed out on the bed lights that are very useful especially if you have a tonneau cover. So I found the wiring diagram and followed the wires from the third brake light down to the driver side rear kick plate, my plan was to tie into the wires suppling power to the cargo lamps which would turn on the led strips whenever the cargo light was on. I found the wire pretty easily (just a couple trim pieces to remove) it was a white wire with a tan tracer. From there its very simple, just install whatever light you want and ground one side to the body and connect the other side to the white and tan wire. And boom, you have the bed lights for under $20.
Hey Jordan, do you happen to have pics of where you ran the cable out from the cab (location)?

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Hey Jordan, do you happen to have pics of where you ran the cable out from the cab (location)?
I didn’t take any pictures of that but if you look under the truck there should be a small plastic cover you can drill a hole in.

vondarius20

Reaction score
I didn’t take any pictures of that but if you look under the truck there should be a small plastic cover you can drill a hole in.
Yeah, I saw that and was considering that very thing. Thx, for the prompt reply.

Lbdyll

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread