5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed extenders

joace

Reaction score
Hey folks - question for those with bed extenders: once installed, can you remove the extender? If I was hauling stone in the bed, or something else and didn't want the extender in while doing so, is there a means to easily remove it? As of now, probably going to go with the AMP research, but curious if it can be removed.
According AMP's installation video on below page, the extender can be easily removed, just line up with about 45 degree angle, then pull off from the clip.

Skater

Reaction score
Hey folks - question for those with bed extenders: once installed, can you remove the extender? If I was hauling stone in the bed, or something else and didn't want the extender in while doing so, is there a means to easily remove it? As of now, probably going to go with the AMP research, but curious if it can be removed.
If you install the Ford extender as I have in post #16 above, the only way to remove it is to remove the tail lights and unscrew each side (but then again, the Ford extender divides and folds out of the way), so if you want to remove it do not install the Ford extender. I do not know about the other ones, but I am sure someone else in here will.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Thanks Joace- confirmed by watching the youtube video from Amp - shoulda started there in the first place!

BNeal

Reaction score
I really like the Ram version as it is low enough that it doesn't get in the way of my Bakflip. I realize I have the Ram Boxes, but it will still work as a bed extender for those trucks without the Boxes.

BedExtender.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really like the Ram version as it is low enough that it doesn't get in the way of my Bakflip. I realize I have the Ram Boxes, but it will still work as a bed extender for those trucks without the Boxes.

View attachment 74155
Actually, it will not work with non-rambox beds because they do not have any way to mount the pegs for the extender. I found this out the hard way with my 2017 Rebel a couple years ago. The bolts for the pegs need something to attach to, and these brackets are missing on non-rambox beds. If you are able to source the brackets and weld them on, then you could use it. Or if you found another way to install the pegs. But it's not something that can be easily done without some kind of modifications.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the AMP Research HD Extender and it pops out in a matter of 3 seconds. Absolutely Love it and is the top #1 accessory I've purchased for my Ram

BNeal

Reaction score
Actually, it will not work with non-rambox beds because they do not have any way to mount the pegs for the extender. I found this out the hard way with my 2017 Rebel a couple years ago. The bolts for the pegs need something to attach to, and these brackets are missing on non-rambox beds. If you are able to source the brackets and weld them on, then you could use it. Or if you found another way to install the pegs. But it's not something that can be easily done without some kind of modifications.
Mike - you are right. Just went out and checked my friends '19 and the brackets are missing. So, I stand corrected.

gamoon

Reaction score

View attachment 74155
Whats the part number for the extender? I got a 2020 with ramboxes already have the mounting pegs.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased the amp research hd max for my 2020 big horn. Unfortunately the 2020 does not have the pre punched holes for the brackets like Gen 4's do. I recall reading somewhere that the bracket drilling templates included are slightly inaccurate. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased the amp research hd max for my 2020 big horn. Unfortunately the 2020 does not have the pre punched holes for the brackets like Gen 4's do. I recall reading somewhere that the bracket drilling templates included are slightly inaccurate. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
I got the AMP research Sport and used the templates; no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread