5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Divider - Which One?

cornyulio

Reaction score
Hi All, I just got a new to me, 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L (new body) with 5'7" bed. It currently has a drop in liner and no LED bed lights. It also does not have the Ram Boxes, just a standard bed. I move a lot of potted trees around, and would really like to use a bed divider. Since I am starting with a "blank slate", I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money and came up with these options after initial research:

1. Dual Liner with the bed rail system, then adding a bed rail compatible divider. After chatting with Dual Liner, they said that installing the bed rails over the side panels won't work so this option seems like a no-go.
2. Spray in Line-X with the bed rail system, then adding a bed mat so my knees don't hate me. I can then use the rail system divider - this option seems doable, but $$$.
3. Spray in Line-X with "folding bed divider" (pn 68027145AE). I'm not sure if this part will fit my non-Ram Box bed. If it does great, if not, is there a non-Ram box version of this folding bed divider? This one is less than option 2, but still $$.
4. Any other options from members here?

Thank you all - I tried to do as much research as possible so that I'm not asking the same questions over and over, but there is conflicting info about whether 68027145AE will fit in my bed. Thanks again!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here's a Mopar bed divider for trucks without the rambox option. I have no experience with this part, I've just seen it listed on a few Mopar parts websites.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
3. Spray in Line-X with "folding bed divider" (pn 68027145AE). I'm not sure if this part will fit my non-Ram Box bed. If it does great, if not, is there a non-Ram box version of this folding bed divider? This one is less than option 2, but still $$.
That divider/extender will not fit non-Rambox beds. I've never seen one similar for regular beds.

cornelius967

Reaction score
I've got the Mopar Bed divider for non-Ram Box beds (82215481 - it DOES fit both the 6'4" bed and the 5'7" bed w/o Ram Box). It mounts to the rails for the Bed Utility Group.

Frank assessment: it's OK. It seems a little flimsy for commercial work. I find that mine is difficult to get back into its rails when you take it out (it's a bit flimsy and the rollers have to be dead on for it to slip into position). Also, I put a Gator FX3 tri-fold hard tonneau on my truck and found that the rail system for the Bed Utility Group are not parallel (not by a long shot!) Therefore the divider rails are not parallel and interferred with my hard tonneau. I had to make a number of adjustments (elongating mounting holes, etc.) to the bed divider rails to get the divider rails parallel so that they didn't interfere with the hard tonneau.

cornyulio

Reaction score
All good info!

It sounds like one of those pay once, cry once situations. As of right now and based on the info. provided, looks like I need to do the following in order:
1. Line-X spray liner ($500-600)
2. Bed mat on top of Line-X ($75-200)
3. Add the Mopar Utility Rail System p/n 82215285AB ($250)
4. Add the Mopar Bed Divider p/n 82215481 ($250)

Looks like I'll be spending roughly $1200 to safely and conveniently transport trees :( smh lol.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
All good info!

It sounds like one of those pay once, cry once situations. As of right now and based on the info. provided, looks like I need to do the following in order:

Looks like I'll be spending roughly $1200 to safely and conveniently transport trees :( smh lol.
Sounds like you really need that bed divider. I realize it's a little late now, but getting the rambox option with the BUG would have only been a couple hundred more. And you'd have gotten a lot more than just a bed divider.

Have you considered using the molded in vertical slots in the bed sides and using a 2x8 or similar as a bed divider? It won't be adjustable, but several members here use those slots for a home made bed divider.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've got the Mopar Bed divider for non-Ram Box beds (82215481 - it DOES fit both the 6'4" bed and the 5'7" bed w/o Ram Box). It mounts to the rails for the Bed Utility Group.

Frank assessment: it's OK. It seems a little flimsy for commercial work. I find that mine is difficult to get back into its rails when you take it out (it's a bit flimsy and the rollers have to be dead on for it to slip into position). Also, I put a Gator FX3 tri-fold hard tonneau on my truck and found that the rail system for the Bed Utility Group are not parallel (not by a long shot!) Therefore the divider rails are not parallel and interferred with my hard tonneau. I had to make a number of adjustments (elongating mounting holes, etc.) to the bed divider rails to get the divider rails parallel so that they didn't interfere with the hard tonneau.
I have this one also. Same as you, I found interference with my hard cover, and a little massaging to the rail brackets fixed it fine. One thing I do like about this one is the ability to fold it up into the brackets without removing it. Great option when I am loading some posts or plywood sheets into the bed

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have this one also. Same as you, I found interference with my hard cover, and a little massaging to the rail brackets fixed it fine. One thing I do like about this one is the ability to fold it up into the brackets without removing it. Great option when I am loading some posts or plywood sheets into the bed
That's a cool feature. The one complaint I have with the rambox bed divider is figuring out where to stow it when hauling something that requires me to remove it from the bed. I usually just lay it on my back floor.

HemiDude

Reaction score
That's a cool feature. The one complaint I have with the rambox bed divider is figuring out where to stow it when hauling something that requires me to remove it from the bed. I usually just lay it on my back floor.
Ha I have done that too. Fortunately I haven't had anything (or anyone) in the back seat when I needed to do that. Guess I could just strap it on top of whatever I have in the bed at the time

cornyulio

Reaction score
Sounds like you really need that bed divider. I realize it's a little late now, but getting the rambox option with the BUG would have only been a couple hundred more. And you'd have gotten a lot more than just a bed divider.

Have you considered using the molded in vertical slots in the bed sides and using a 2x8 or similar as a bed divider? It won't be adjustable, but several members here use those slots for a home made bed divider.
Unfortunately it's new to me, but a 2019 that I purchased "off the rack". I got a pretty good deal all things considered these days, and I would have definitely gotten the BUG if I had the option. That said, I was certainly thinking of the board option - thought of adding the 2x8, adding a couple boards perpendicular, and another cross piece. I could easily make it adjustable so that it could slide back and forth using the locked in board as the stopper.

This may sound off, but it's the nicest truck I've ever owned, and even though it is a work truck, would rather it not "look" like a work truck if that makes sense :)

Wtray

Reaction score
Ha I have done that too. Fortunately I haven't had anything (or anyone) in the back seat when I needed to do that. Guess I could just strap it on top of whatever I have in the bed at the time
I mount mine all the forward in the bed when I don't need to divide the bed. very seldom am I worried about the couple inches it takes up in the very front of the bed.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mount mine all the forward in the bed when I don't need to divide the bed. very seldom am I worried about the couple inches it takes up in the very front of the bed.
I thought of doing that but it's too much of a stretch for me, even with the MFT. So much easier to just lay it in the floor of the cab.

HemiDude

Reaction score
I've done that a few times, but its easier to leave it at the rear with the hard cover on

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All good info!

Sounds like a lot of over spending if you ask me. I don't buy into the "buy once cry once" justification for over spending like some people do. I'm not saying that's the case here, I'm just saying, don't give up on trying to find a better option until you've spent more than a day on it. There are often cheaper alternatives that are as effective or in some cases more effective than the more popular expensive options.

My recommendation:
First off, scrap the Line-X idea and go with a BedRug. Your knees will thank you. And yes you can haul anything with it. I've hauled mulch, dirt, lumber, appliances, sand and gravel with a BedRug.
Some people worry about clean up, but it's easy. You simply shovel out the load like normal, then I use a push broom to get the "dust" out. Same basic process I used to do with drop in liners. You can even pressure wash the BedRug if you are so inclined. Which I've only done once, after hauling a particularly greasy piece of equipment, but it can be done.
I like them so much, it's been the only bed liner option for me since my first one in 2007. They've got a few options now ranging from a mat to the full liner (ranging from $100 - $500) which is cheaper than Line-X if I remember right. This is one of those times where the cheaper alternative is better than the more expensive popular option in my opinion.
Here's a link to BedRug's website. → LINK

Secondly, there are reasonable alternatives to cargo management at much cheaper than $500 for rails and divider. For example you can get a cargo bar for as little as $23 at Summit Racing. The average bars are closer to $50, while you can go nuts and spend almost $200 (though I don't know why you would). These bars are adjustable and take up very little room when not in use.
Here's a link to some cargo bars at Summit. → LINK

And a bonus option is to make your own divider. I made one mostly for the use as a bed extender, but I made it so it keeps things close the to tailgate too. It cost less then $100, and the store bought options are typically $250 or more. You could obviously make something different to fit your needs but I'm sure you could do it for much less then $500.
Here's a photo my BedRug and diy divider/extender. bed extender (6).jpg

And here's a better shot of the BedRug. This is my 2007 with the first rug I had. If you're concerned with durability ask them for a sample. They'll send you a square (roughly 4" x 4") that you can abuse to see if what you think.
I actually still have my sample, which is on my desk used as a coaster. I ground it into the gravel, rubbed grease on it, poured oil on it, and scraped it against a board, all to see how it would hold up and/or clean. You should be able to guess that it cleaned up well since it's on my desk holding drinks. That and I was convinced enough to order one, and have had 4 different trucks with them since then.
BedRug.jpg

This is a cross section shot of the BedRug (it's my sample piece). The ridges match the bed so you have a nice flat surface. I'm not sure why the edge looks like it has a bit of green and red. Lens flares maybe? The point is you can't see where I rubbed the grease or pour the oil on it, and even after 15 years of various drinks dripped on it (coffee, tea, soda and the occasional beer) there's no stains.
Bedrug sample.jpg

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
As suggested- would a cargo bar work?

I bought one similar to this, which I would not recommend. I think a ratcheting one would be much easier to lock in place

HemiDude

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of over spending if you ask me. I don't buy into the "buy once cry once" justification for over spending like some people do. I'm not saying that's the case here, I'm just saying, don't give up on trying to find a better option until you've spent more than a day on it. There are often cheaper alternatives that are as effective or in some cases more effective than the more popular expensive options.

My recommendation:
First off, scrap the Line-X idea and go with a BedRug. Your knees will thank you. And yes you can haul anything with it. I've hauled mulch, dirt, lumber, appliances, sand and gravel with a BedRug.
Some people worry about clean up, but it's easy. You simply shovel out the load like normal, then I use a push broom to get the "dust" out. Same basic process I used to do with drop in liners. You can even pressure wash the BedRug if you are so inclined. Which I've only done once, after hauling a particularly greasy piece of equipment, but it can be done.
I like them so much, it's been the only bed liner option for me since my first one in 2007. They've got a few options now ranging from a mat to the full liner (ranging from $100 - $500) which is cheaper than Line-X if I remember right. This is one of those times where the cheaper alternative is better than the more expensive popular option in my opinion.
Here's a link to BedRug's website. → LINK

Secondly, there are reasonable alternatives to cargo management at much cheaper than $500 for rails and divider. For example you can get a cargo bar for as little as $23 at Summit Racing. The average bars are closer to $50, while you can go nuts and spend almost $200 (though I don't know why you would). These bars are adjustable and take up very little room when not in use.
Here's a link to some cargo bars at Summit. → LINK

And a bonus option is to make your own divider. I made one mostly for the use as a bed extender, but I made it so it keeps things close the to tailgate too. It cost less then $100, and the store bought options are typically $250 or more. You could obviously make something different to fit your needs but I'm sure you could do it for much less then $500.
Here's a photo my BedRug and diy divider/extender. View attachment 120875

And here's a better shot of the BedRug. This is my 2007 with the first rug I had. If you're concerned with durability ask them for a sample. They'll send you a square (roughly 4" x 4") that you can abuse to see if what you think.
I actually still have my sample, which is on my desk used as a coaster. I ground it into the gravel, rubbed grease on it, poured oil on it, and scraped it against a board, all to see how it would hold up and/or clean. You should be able to guess that it cleaned up well since it's on my desk holding drinks. That and I was convinced enough to order one, and have had 4 different trucks with them since then.
View attachment 120879

This is a cross section shot of the BedRug (it's my sample piece). The ridges match the bed so you have a nice flat surface. I'm not sure why the edge looks like it has a bit of green and red. Lens flares maybe? The point is you can't see where I rubbed the grease or pour the oil on it, and even after 15 years of various drinks dripped on it (coffee, tea, soda and the occasional beer) there's no stains.
View attachment 120880
I have the spray-in liner and like it. Can't say anything one way or the other about the bed rug bc I've never had one, other than it looks like another way to skin the same cat.

As far as the Cargo Management package vs. a Cargo Bar, one big plus is convenience. I can adjust it's depth in the bed (front to rear) in literally 2 seconds, based on the size and placement of what I want to secure - squeeze the lock tabs together and slide. This can even be done to a small degree without folding up my tonneau cover. Speaking of securing, I hang a couple bungees on the grids of the divider, and they are at the ready when I need to keep smaller items from sliding from side to side. I also like that the divider runs virtually the whole height of the bed, so nothing can tip over it or roll under it. All of that convenience and utility is worth the few hundred dollars to me, and it gets used a lot!

cornyulio

Reaction score
@shot and @greenlawnracing - thank you both for the recommendations. I'm looking into the bed rug as well as the bar now. These would certainly fit my requirements!

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the spray-in liner and like it. Can't say anything one way or the other about the bed rug bc I've never had one, other than it looks like another way to skin the same cat.

As far as the Cargo Management package vs. a Cargo Bar, one big plus is convenience. I can adjust it's depth in the bed (front to rear) in literally 2 seconds, based on the size and placement of what I want to secure - squeeze the lock tabs together and slide. This can even be done to a small degree without folding up my tonneau cover. Speaking of securing, I hang a couple bungees on the grids of the divider, and they are at the ready when I need to keep smaller items from sliding from side to side. I also like that the divider runs virtually the whole height of the bed, so nothing can tip over it or roll under it. All of that convenience and utility is worth the few hundred dollars to me, and it gets used a lot!
I've had spray in liners. They're not awful, but I like the BedRug much better. The problem I had with the spray in was that everything slid around, and most people (including me) end up putting rubber mats down to prevent that. Easy slide is great for loading an appliance or something heavy, but it kind sucked once you were trying to secure that item for the drive. I'm not saying things won't move on the BedRug, but they don't move around as easily as the spray in.
My other concern with the spray liner is a little irrational, but I don't like that they grind your paint down to prep it. I know it's immediately being coated with liner, but I just don't like the idea of sanding/grinding the paint off a brand new bed. Just seems unnatural. Eek.

As for the OEM divider with the rails. I like the idea of it being full height, that's kind of nice. I wouldn't utalize it enough to justify the added expense, but that is a good feature. You can use 2 bars and put 1 high and 1 low if you have a tall object you're afraid would tip over a low bar, while at the same time having a low item that would go under the high bar. A bit inconvenient compared to the divider. Not an issue I've run into often, but the divider may be worth it if you have that situation a lot. I typically just put the bar at the high side of the object and forget about it.
Regarding the bar's adjustability. They take just about as long as the divider. I typically get the bars that twist to tighten/loosen but I've used the ratchet type too. You give the screw style a twist to loosen it, move it where you want, and give it a twist the opposite way to lock it back down. A matter of seconds just like the divider. Ratchet style weren't a whole lot harder but I don't care for the handle on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/