5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery replacement 2019 laramie

Gobassin

Reaction score
Hey all ! well winter is finally here and my OEM battery took the opportunity to die. Going to replace it with an H7 group AGM battery. There are sooo many opinions on what to expect electrically once the new battery is installed, to include waiting a day for the ECM to get reestablished to heading to the dealership to have the transmision re-flashed. Appreciate any input,sorry if the topic is beating a dead horse...

gpbst3

Reaction score
When my battery died I switched to the AGM from Walmart.

When I first tried to start the truck it clicked and did not start. I second attempt I got a message on the screen asking for some factory security pin number. After a Google search I nearly **** my pants with people saying they had to have the truck towed back to the dealership to get the pin. On the third attempt the truck started. I had a few dash lights lit up till the next day then everything settled in.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use Walmart AGM Platinum w/ 4 year full replacement, plus Walmart is everywhere just about. I'd upgrade to H8.

When I had my Manifold done my truck was basic, but overnight everything else came back.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely step up to the H8 bettery if you are replacing. I'm also using the Walmart AGM bettery, only because my local Menards didn't have any H8 AGMs in the shelf. I bought the larger battery blanket as well.

Also, fully charge the battery with a battery charger before installing. No battery will be fully charged coming off the shelf, and your factory alternator isn't designed to properly fully charge your battery. Doing a full charge before installing will ensure longer battery life

Gobassin

Reaction score
Definitely step up to the H8 bettery if you are replacing. I'm also using the Walmart AGM bettery, only because my local Menards didn't have any H8 AGMs in the shelf. I bought the larger battery blanket as well.

Also, fully charge the battery with a battery charger before installing. No battery will be fully charged coming off the shelf, and your factory alternator isn't designed to properly fully charge your battery. Doing a full charge before installing will ensure longer battery life
Well I went with the Walmart H7. It weighed roughly 10 pounds heavier than the original. that battery weighed nearly 52 pounds had to have my neighbor set it in the truck due to my recent back problems. I think i saw where a small block could be removed to fit an H8 in the battery tray, oh well maybe next time! Oh, I did notice a mfg. date of 12/23. I would think it to be fully charged, I'm not so sure about putting a battery charger to it since its all conneted in the truck?

Gobassin

Reaction score
4 hours or so should do it.
Never had to visit the dealer after disconnecting the battery.
Good to know I may not have any isues after having installed this afternoon. I'll test it all out tomorrow. Thanks

Gobassin

Reaction score
4 hours or so should do it.
Never had to visit the dealer after disconnecting the battery.
Well here it is day 2 after the new battery install. For the most part the truck is acting normal ( almost) . There is a clunking sound coming from the dash tied to the HVAC non-stop but subtle. On the instrument display after dark noticed a rather dim pulsating red indicator. Checked it several times this evening its still on. Any ideas?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well here it is day 2 after the new battery install. For the most part the truck is acting normal ( almost) . There is a clunking sound coming from the dash tied to the HVAC non-stop but subtle. On the instrument display after dark noticed a rather dim pulsating red indicator. Checked it several times this evening its still on. Any ideas?
Can you post a picture of it?

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
After having so many issues myself with these Uconnect Chrysler vehicles, I'm using one of these from now on for battery swaps. memory saver

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
After having so many issues myself with these Uconnect Chrysler vehicles, I'm using one of these from now on for battery swaps. memory saver
Not going to help you.
Disconnecting the battery is fine, but if your battery is already low systems will get funky.
I have never had problems disconnecting the battery during any of the work I have done and that's around 7-8 times.

Gobassin

Reaction score
What a great idea! However, in my case the battery was totally dead for days before I installed the new one. A fter several days the Ram is now acting normal , but I really wished I didn't have to go through all that uncertainty for just changing out the battery....

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What a great idea! However, in my case the battery was totally dead for days before I installed the new one. A fter several days the Ram is now acting normal , but I really wished I didn't have to go through all that uncertainty for just changing out the battery....
These vehicles are nothing but big computers now days. Gotta love/hate em :ROFLMAO:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol, my battery is on the way out not even 2 years from the factory.
Was custom built in February of 2022 and a few days ago I couldn't remote start and I was sitting at 10.9v.

I drove it a bit and seemed normal, appears to be charging but sat for 2 more days and today same thing.
Was 10.9v. Drove it for 30 minutes and when I got home I went to lower the suspension after turning it off (typically I do it while the engine is on but I thought to connect a battery charger after I went inside) and it wouldn't let me and gave me a low voltage warning and told me to start the truck to lower the truck.

I know these batteries suck, but jeeze lol.
I'm probably looking at like a 2-4 week wait to bring it to the stealership, where they will want it for a whole day to just say it's good, or best case replace it with another oem junk battery.
There's a million threads, what was the common consensus of the correct H8 battery to get that is CHEAP and not the expensive AGM stuff.

I know the rat nest cover is 05033397AE (debating to even bother with it as I don't drive in extreme conditions)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, my battery is on the way out not even 2 years from the factory.
Was custom built in February of 2022 and a few days ago I couldn't remote start and I was sitting at 10.9v.

I drove it a bit and seemed normal, appears to be charging but sat for 2 more days and today same thing.
Was 10.9v. Drove it for 30 minutes and when I got home I went to lower the suspension after turning it off (typically I do it while the engine is on but I thought to connect a battery charger after I went inside) and it wouldn't let me and gave me a low voltage warning and told me to start the truck to lower the truck.

I know these batteries suck, but jeeze lol.
I'm probably looking at like a 2-4 week wait to bring it to the stealership, where they will want it for a whole day to just say it's good, or best case replace it with another oem junk battery.
There's a million threads, what was the common consensus of the correct H8 battery to get that is CHEAP and not the expensive AGM stuff.

I know the rat nest cover is 05033397AE (debating to even bother with it as I don't drive in extreme conditions)
Get the Walmart store brand AGM H8. Has a 4 year warranty on it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Get the Walmart store brand AGM H8. Has a 4 year warranty on it.
This one? EverStart Platinum AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size H8 12 Volt, 900 CCA - Walmart.com
Everstart Platinum H8 AGM.

I always thought the AGM batteries costed like $500-600.

Any idea if I need to do a re-learn of the sensor for the negative terminal? I forgot what I saw about that.

Currently I up to 12.6V from my battery charger, but I don't trust it since I was dead twice and the eTorque charging rate should be awesome compared to a regular alternator.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a Costco membership I know they have a good deal on replacement batteries. Also if the battery sucks or doesn’t work like you intended they will return it no questions asked. I purchased one because I thought the one I purchased (Die hard platinum) was defective. Went to Costco got the new battery put it in and it had the same issues. The pedal commander ended up being the culprit of all my issues. Costco returned my battery without any hassle. I just told them it didn’t work.

Users who are viewing this thread