5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery replacement 2019 laramie

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This one? EverStart Platinum AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size H8 12 Volt, 900 CCA - Walmart.com
Everstart Platinum H8 AGM.

I always thought the AGM batteries costed like $500-600.

Any idea if I need to do a re-learn of the sensor for the negative terminal? I forgot what I saw about that.

Currently I up to 12.6V from my battery charger, but I don't trust it since I was dead twice and the eTorque charging rate should be awesome compared to a regular alternator.
That's the one. Have it in my truck. Haven't seen anything about any relearn on the sensor

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you have a Costco membership I know they have a good deal on replacement batteries. Also if the battery sucks or doesn’t work like you intended they will return it no questions asked. I purchased one because I thought the one I purchased (Die hard platinum) was defective. Went to Costco got the new battery put it in and it had the same issues. The pedal commander ended up being the culprit of all my issues. Costco returned my battery without any hassle. I just told them it didn’t work.
Closest Costo is a little over an hour away, I think a day membership is $5.
We have BJs, but their battery section is always grungy.

I don't mind paying $180 as Walmart, I was expecting between $110-185.

I also have a pedal commander but I don't think that is the problem, I got a whole bunch of other mods.

If the new battery if I end up getting it has problems I will buy an Amp Hound 2 and troubleshoot from there

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
Doing a cursory check showed 2 different things. 1: No, the truck does a re-learn procedure within 3-5 key cycles of a new battery. 2: Yes, disconnect the sensor ground for 2-4 hours.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This one? EverStart Platinum AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size H8 12 Volt, 900 CCA - Walmart.com
Everstart Platinum H8 AGM.

I always thought the AGM batteries costed like $500-600.

Any idea if I need to do a re-learn of the sensor for the negative terminal? I forgot what I saw about that.

Currently I up to 12.6V from my battery charger, but I don't trust it since I was dead twice and the eTorque charging rate should be awesome compared to a regular alternator.

According to WallyWorld battery fit side bar this won't fit in a Ram 1500.
What did you do to get it fit?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's because the 1500 has an H7 from factory. So that's what they are going to tell you fits. You an remove a small block in battery tray and it fits an H8

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What did you do to get it fit?

That's because the 1500 has an H7 from factory. So that's what they are going to tell you fits. You an remove a small block in battery tray and it fits an H8
This^
The plastic is behind the battery twords the windshield, can't miss it.
Also you can replace the blanket if you want, I think i'm not going to bother, never used them in other cars\truck and it obviously didn't work in Ram considering you can expect 2 years or under on a brand new OEM battery lol.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This^
The plastic is behind the battery twords the windshield, can't miss it.
Also you can replace the blanket if you want, I think i'm not going to bother, never used them in other cars\truck and it obviously didn't work in Ram considering you can expect 2 years or under on a brand new OEM battery lol.

I have a 19 and still on the OEM batt.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well you cursed yourself. Come back in 6 months and let us know how it's going :)
That's the one. Have it in my truck. Haven't seen anything about any relearn on the sensor
Walmart I went to didn't sell a single H8 battery, let alone an AGM.
I wonder if I order online if it's a newly made battery or something sitting at a store's shelf for months.

I was at 12.6v today (I charged it for a few hours yesterday) before I left today but by the time I got home it was back to 11.9v, which I think it lower than it should be considered I was driving for an hour and 15 minutes. It did start at 14.7 this morning charging, but by the end it was around 14.2 with the engine on (which is still fine I believe)

Gobassin

Reaction score
Well you cursed yourself. Come back in 6 months and let us know how it's going :)

Walmart I went to didn't sell a single H8 battery, let alone an AGM.
I wonder if I order online if it's a newly made battery or something sitting at a store's shelf for months.

I was at 12.6v today (I charged it for a few hours yesterday) before I left today but by the time I got home it was back to 11.9v, which I think it lower than it should be considered I was driving for an hour and 15 minutes. It did start at 14.7 this morning charging, but by the end it was around 14.2 with the engine on (which is still fine I believe)
The H7 I got this past month has a sticker for 12/23, but was also stamped Made in China so who knows how long it sat on a shelf?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Same here, my trucks production date was Jan 2019, though I didn't take delivery until July 2019. My battery is still going strong, even though it can be 1- 2 weeks between drives. However, I will fully charge my battery every other month or so just to keep it healthy. The farthest I allow it to drain before charging fully is 12.1v or so.

Just note for you guys checking your battery voltage, you need to let it sit for at least 10 or more minutes to get a somewhat accurate reading. If you are draining any power from it, or even the process of opening and closing the door, which activated the doom light and bed light, it could give you a low false reading. Let the battery sit with the doors closed and accessories off for a few minutes, you will notice the voltage rise to a more representative level.

Last edited:

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
FYI, I went to buy a new battery at Walmart yesterday, and the Everstart Platinum in both H7 and H8 are now made in South Korea, not Germany. Clearly a change in plant/manufacturer, and both were down 50 CCA from the online listings (800 and 850). I ended up going to Advance and getting a German made Diehard H8 with the correct 900 CCA.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well looks like i'm ordering a new battery for my 22 not even 2 years old.
It was fully charged yesterday and sat overnight and now without touching anything I checked and it's 11.8v after sitting for like 14 hours turned off.
Gota love Ram quality.
Wish it was redesign to run off the 48V eTorque battery, no reason for a 12V battery in these trucks with eTorque imo.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My battery came in today. I can't find any country of origin on it, just says Walmart in AR on the battery.
The size of the box claims a manufacture date of 1/16/2024, which is after I ordered it online lol. It can't be right.
The positive cover was also missing and just had foam above it to project it, I wonder if they are selling refurbs? Reads 12.7V which is good though.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious why you didn't pick up at store?

He said none of the local stores had one
Yes this.
First one I went to didn't even have any H8 sized batteries and when I looked it up could only find 1 store out of 6 nearby that had it, and only 1 in stock.

As far as I can tell there is no country of origin, where it's made, or manufacture date of the battery itself
There is a serial number, but that means nothing to me as there is no way for me to do anything with it.

There is also some liquid up top, hopefully it's just water and not acid lol.
The box says Carlos MI

1705599598953.jpeg
1705600283287.jpeg
1705601453138.png

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha! Guess I missed that. Crazy no stores had it in stock. Wonder if a lot of vehicles near you use, or they just don't stock often.

Users who are viewing this thread