5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BakFlip MX4 & Rambox fitment?

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal with Taper Seal Compatible with RAM 1500 with RamBox 2019 and 2020 Models https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08L21DGNB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_NmO4FbF08GHVP

If you have the MFT as well, I’ll get the info about about the “combo” kit as soon as I know.

I bought just the "thick stuff" I didn't buy their entire kit as I only wanted to seal the top and the sides.

The seal didn't work. Contacting them and possibly returning it. The back, where the tape is, was severely concave and not strong enough to stick to the plastic trim/paint of the car, this is after the pressure of the tailgate is put in place, and it also did not seal entirely the top of the tailgate either as there was light shinning through 1/16-1/8 of an inch.

Back to the drawing board I guess... maybe I did something wrong, but it isn't (and I'm not :) ) rocket science.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The seal didn't work. Contacting them and possibly returning it. The back, where the tape is, was severely concave and not strong enough to stick to the plastic trim/paint of the car, this is after the pressure of the tailgate is put in place, and it also did not seal entirely the top of the tailgate either as there was light shinning through 1/16-1/8 of an inch.

Back to the drawing board I guess... maybe I did something wrong, but it isn't (and I'm not :) ) rocket science.
Got the EFI kit installed, and everything seals nice except for the vertical piece just below the top seal. Seeing too much light there.

I think I'm going to order some of the large weatherstripping that was in the kit. I was playing around with it and I think that's all that's needed to make it work completely. There wasn't enough in the kit to try it, though. :unsure:

Zeeya

Reaction score
Here is the gap... maybe it is best to remove the silver rail and put a bead behind there?
When the shop installed mine they pulled the rail off they ran a seal down behind each rail. He said it was something they used on camper shells and they found that it helped with the leaks. Can't really see if once installed and pulled tight. MX4
I installed the tail gate seal from a regular seal kit you buy on Amazon or after market sites. I added the pieces in between the tailgate and top of bed to keep water from running in at that point. It is just a seal that I bought at Home Depot. The only thing with top foam seal is that it hardens over time and not as flexible. It has been in place for about 18 months and spent part of that time in W Texas and you know that temps out there with a black truck.

IMG_9050.jpg

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
Got the EFI kit installed, and everything seals nice except for the vertical piece just below the top seal. Seeing too much light there.

I think I'm going to order some of the large weatherstripping that was in the kit. I was playing around with it and I think that's all that's needed to make it work completely. There wasn't enough in the kit to try it, though. :unsure:

FYI that large weather stripping is what I was having issues with. The tape side and the non tape side were severely concave preventing the tape side from sticking to the truck... maybe it was just bad luck with the run of material. Hope you find differently.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
When the shop installed mine they pulled the rail off they ran a seal down behind each rail. He said it was something they used on camper shells and they found that it helped with the leaks. Can't really see if once installed and pulled tight. MX4
I installed the tail gate seal from a regular seal kit you buy on Amazon or after market sites. I added the pieces in between the tailgate and top of bed to keep water from running in at that point. It is just a seal that I bought at Home Depot. The only thing with top foam seal is that it hardens over time and not as flexible. It has been in place for about 18 months and spent part of that time in W Texas and you know that temps out there with a black truck.

View attachment 77926
Thanks for the ideas. yep, I was looking to do something like this as well... good picture for ideas!

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
I am considering these two different types....

and

I think the 2nd one will fill the gap better, and or might be too much for where the tailgate and the rail for the cover is (because that is about 1/4" narrower than the rest of the gap). but with the flexibility I'm thinking the compression shouldn't be an issue. Only downside is you have to buy 10ft which just means extra laying around.

Both have 3M adhesive which is good stuff. I prefer more of the square channel of the ESI stuff though and I feel I get more of that with the 2nd one....

Anyway.. food for thought on options.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had the large square seal on for about 6mo and seems to be holding up well for me. I just put the ESI tailgate seal at the bottom over the weekend and it sure looks like I should have the tailgate sealed well now.

I’m using a Retrax cover but the rails have a similar design. Unfortunately, I’ll need to remove my cover and silver rails to put some seals behind them, as I clearly have leakage along those lengths at the moment.

5a1209bd9e94943c262da513096716e7.jpg

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had the large square seal on for about 6mo and seems to be holding up well for me. I just put the ESI tailgate seal at the bottom over the weekend and it sure looks like I should have the tailgate sealed well now.

I’m using a Retrax cover but the rails have a similar design. Unfortunately, I’ll need to remove my cover and silver rails to put some seals behind them, as I clearly have leakage along those lengths at the moment.

5a1209bd9e94943c262da513096716e7.jpg
Your vertical seals are almost exactly what I was thinking.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
Yep. and that is exactly what I was going to do as well. I must have got a bumm run of it or something....

Glad to hear its working well for you. Behind the silver rails isn't a huge deal.. Id say it took 30min from start to finish. the MK4 cover installs really easy too.

All I did was just unbolt the silver rails, I didn't remove the cover's rails or anything like that. put the weather stripping behind, sealed it up and bolted it back on.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stopped by a local truck accessory store today to see if they had some kind of topper seal I could use and they gave me over 4' of it. Tried to pay them something but they wouldn't hear of it saying they have **** loads of it. Good guys. There are two more spots I have to figure out how to seal due to a couple of small gaps from the Extang rails, but this stopped any leaks from the sides of the tailgate. Anyway, pic of the type of weatherstrip and install:

20201231_134316.jpg 20201231_134243.jpg

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stopped by a local truck accessory store today to see if they had some kind of topper seal I could use and they gave me over 4' of it. Tried to pay them something but they wouldn't hear of it saying they have **** loads of it. Good guys. There are two more spots I have to figure out how to seal due to a couple of small gaps from the Extang rails, but this stopped any leaks from the sides of the tailgate. Anyway, pic of the type of weatherstrip and install:

View attachment 78210 View attachment 78211

That’s a much better seal design than the ESI product! Looks like it should work out perfectly!

I’m going to seal behind my silver rails, but need to figure out what to do at the tailgate end of them so any collected water doesn’t just dump into the box at the end of the silver rail.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a much better seal design than the ESI product! Looks like it should work out perfectly!

I’m going to seal behind my silver rails, but need to figure out what to do at the tailgate end of them so any collected water doesn’t just dump into the box at the end of the silver rail.
At the tailgate end of the rails is where I still have light coming through and have to figure out as well. I need to get some foam weatherstripping like Zeeya has... which looks like it could be window shaker open cell foam weatherstripping. :unsure: Time for a Lowe's run tomorrow.

Last edited:

Hamesie

Reaction score
Here is the gap... maybe it is best to remove the silver rail and put a bead behind there?
Try using a silicone sealant along the backside of the silver bedrails. I noticed, when I took them off to clean, that a lot of crud gets behind the rail, there is a weakness of the water intrusion along the rambox and bed side. I am installing mine here in April. I will post pictures and let you know how it goes. I also have the multi-function so I will show what I do to seal the end of the bed and the multi-function

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online