5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BakFlip MX4 & Rambox fitment?

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
Installed this cover the other week....

There are small D seals that seel to the sides of the installation rails. They are supposed to seal to the edge of the bed/Rambox. On both sides of my truck, the seal only makes contact for about 50% of the bed side. It's almost like they are both slightly angled away from the bedside.

Anyone else have this? Its allowing leaking into the bed. I'm not sure if this is a defect (I dont think it is) or a design deficiency or its just normal and I should seal with a black caulk or something.

Can get some pictures when the sun comes up.

I also need to figure out how to seal the tailgate to the ram boxes too... :)

Rocsolid

Reaction score

There are small D seals that seel to the sides of the installation rails. They are supposed to seal to the edge of the bed/Rambox. On both sides of my truck, the seal only makes contact for about 50% of the bed side. It's almost like they are both slightly angled away from the bedside.

Anyone else have this? Its allowing leaking into the bed. I'm not sure if this is a defect (I dont think it is) or a design deficiency or its just normal and I should seal with a black caulk or something.

I am thinking of getting the bak flip mk4 for mine. But I want to check the distance between the floor of the tub to the latch of the cover. Is it possible if you could measure it for us ?

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score

Hey I too was looking into this cover for my truck, but after going to order I thought it said it didn’t fit 2021 1500 5’-7” bed with rambox. Curious to see if it works out bc I like the cover

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting the bak flip mk4 for mine. But I want to check the distance between the floor of the tub to the latch of the cover. Is it possible if you could measure it for us ?
19.75 inches. that's from the top of the ridges in the bed to the bottom of the foam bumpers.. highest point to lowest overhead point

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
Hey I too was looking into this cover for my truck, but after going to order I thought it said it didn’t fit 2021 1500 5’-7” bed with rambox. Curious to see if it works out bc I like the cover
Fits perfectly fine. 30min install. Almost no tools needed it's that easy

Ryancassidy

Reaction score

Here is the gap... maybe it is best to remove the silver rail and put a bead behind there?

Attachments

• 20201220_090947.jpg
    20201220_090947.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 105

RichB413

Reaction score
I installed the BakFlip MX4 on my 2020 Ram Laramie with 5’7” bed and Ram Boxes. Works just fine.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, my seals on the Retrax look basically identical and leak water as well... not just a little but quite a lot. I think partially my warped rambox lids are to blame, but the design is not very well thought out, either.

I pulled out all of my rail shims to get the seal as close to the lids as possible, but still have gaps along the rail length.

Curious what you end up doing. Think I’m about out of options.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the gap... maybe it is best to remove the silver rail and put a bead behind there?
When I installed my soft folding top one of the steps was to remove the rails and apply a thin strip of self sticking weather stripping along where the rails mount. Hasn't leaked water into the bed from there at all. Now I just have to figure out how to better seal the tail gate...

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
Yeah that wasn't on the instructions with the one I have, but they did include some weather stripping to put on the rails that slide into the factory rails.. of course, this weather stripping doesn't work all the way down the rail.. Go figure.. I think the thing to do is to remove the factory rails and put a bead of silicone behind them and re-install. I fear larger weather stripping on the MX4 rails won't fit the entire length of the bed and Black Silicone up that way will just look wonky.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
So I started the process. I removed the Silver rails and instead of black caulking I used some rubber/EPDM like weather stripping that BAK sells in their $11 seal kit (https://bakindustries.com/search?find=326A0005) and I put one of those strips (it divides into 2) on each side of the silver bed rail JUST above where the bolts go through. This seals it to the bed when bolted back in. I also adjusted and sealed each of the corners and the like. I feel that the cover is sealed about 95-99% minus the tailgate which i'm placing an order for some weather stripping for that this week. The goal is to not have it 100%, the design of the rails and all that prohibit it without using black caulking IMO, but its to get it 99% and maybe just allow a few drops in there during a bad southern rainstorm or something like that.

The weather stripping that BAK provides for the sides of the BAK rails is worthless and literally doesn't touch a thing on my truck. So I'll probably remove that in due time as I look/examine everything further.

Venom700

Reaction score
I ordered some kits for the tailgate, specifically for ramboxes and the MFT. The company is going to work to do a kit for a combination of the both which should be for sale soon. If you just have the ramboxes, check out:

Venom700

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that you can see clearly out of the new digital rear view mirror with the MX4 propped up? The other cover I was looking at clearly blocks the third brake light and all.

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
I ordered some kits for the tailgate, specifically for ramboxes and the MFT. The company is going to work to do a kit for a combination of the both which should be for sale soon. If you just have the ramboxes, check out:

Yeah I'm getting some of their stuff for the tailgate... I was going to get...

I figure that would seal the top 4 inches on each side and vertical down the sides. Not looking to seal across the bottom.

I was also thinking about getting something like this.

To bridge the gap from the metal Bakflip rails to the sides of the ram boxes. I figure the rubber adhesive (if my measurements r correct) will go under the tonneau cover rubber seals.

It's another level of protection and I also think if it lays down and doesnt blow in the wind (it's not think and heavy) it will also look more finished too.

I think the ram box mechanism would work with this seal too.

Any thoughts?

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
FWIW, adding the seal behind the silver rails solved 90% of the water leaks. The side rails do not leak at all. Now my only leaks are the tailgate sides and the front by the cab has drip leaks as the truck still has a 1/2 rake until I get the spacers installed up front. Also the cover leaks at one joint too. Ohh well.

I think I'll do the top of the tailgate seal and call it a day.

Venom700

Reaction score
FWIW, adding the seal behind the silver rails solved 90% of the water leaks. The side rails do not leak at all. Now my only leaks are the tailgate sides and the front by the cab has drip leaks as the truck still has a 1/2 rake until I get the spacers installed up front. Also the cover leaks at one joint too. Ohh well.

I think I'll do the top of the tailgate seal and call it a day.
Sounds good. Will try these when I install the silver rails: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089KBSQHH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AD71BWYB8RCT5&psc=1

Ryancassidy

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that you can see clearly out of the new digital rear view mirror with the MX4 propped up? The other cover I was looking at clearly blocks the third brake light and all.
Sorry I do not have the digital rear view mirror. I can confirm that when propped up, it rests against the glass. You should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online