5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad fuel mileage 5.7 hemi

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
We just came home from a vacation in Maine, traveling about 425 miles in total. My Rebel eclipsed 2K miles on the trip, and we encountered highway speeds of 70-80 MPH, a lot of stop and go traffic (getting thru Boston, accidents, and leading up to tolls on I-95) and drives down country roads. The full gamut of driving conditions. I tend to have a heavy foot. The trip computer calculated our average MPG to be 16.9, which is right at the 17 Combined from the EPA, and I have no reason to suspect the computer was off measurably.

A few more observations... the truck loves back roads/secondary roads between 40 and 55 where I routinely see 22MPG+ the entire stretch and "ECO" mode is always on. As you'd expect idling and traffic kill the trucks numbers... I can see how e-Torque could pay big dividends there. Speeds over 70 drag down the trucks MPG numbers too... as you approach and exceed 2000 RPM my Rebel's efficiency suffers proportionally.

Lastly, it seems as though cruise control has a heavy foot as well, using more throttle input than it needs. Not sure if there's a way to test this "scientifically", but I felt as though I could keep the truck at 75 with much less throttle input, and therefore better fuel economy, than cruise would. I'm not talking about "hyper-miling". It is what it is... I use cruise a lot and still will... but it's something I noticed. Anyone else see this?

I’ve noticed the same about cruise control. I’ve stopped using it for Thai reason. I have better control with the ol toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still use it on long drives on flat terrain. So little throttle input is required that my lower leg gets tired of holding my foot off the pedal. This is usually the time that I look down and I'm doing 72 in ECO.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving habits are huge. I notice a lot of people don't coast at all. They see a stop sign and stay on the gas right until they need to brake, same with traffic. I've learned to coast down and it makes a huge difference. Saves fuel and brakes. I started doing this on SRT because the brakes on that cost over $2k.

The ram seems especially sensitive to wind and speed.

beekay99

Reaction score
Have almost 1000 miles and 3 fills up to date and a few observations so far to confirm what others are seeing. MPG's numbers have gone up each fill up. From 17, 17.5, and last one 18.5. Yes, I have e-torque, but I consider my truck to be one of those that is supposed to be off the bat, lower than sticker MPG's numbers, i.e. 3.92 axle, 4X4, fully loaded, 22 inch low profile tires. So, that part is bearing out, it does feel like I am getting slightly less than what the sticker MPG combined (19) advertises. But, when in MPG driving mode, I am getting better than what I thought I would get.

So there are some other mitigating factors that could be helping me that I'm not sure how much help, I do have a low profile tri-fold tonneau cover. I also have a K&N filter. I use aero mode almost exclusively, but even Ram engineers say that will at most save 1%.

What impresses me more is that I do 50% mixed driving. I am in the throws of a hot, humid VA summer, and temps have been averaging 90 degrees plus. I know some folks hate e-torque, but I really feel like where the truck shines is city driving and the e-torque is the reason for it. It almost always shuts off at lights, and starts are seamless. I love that look I get at the drive through when the truck completely shuts off and the cashier is completely baffled at how quiet the truck got, and I let off the gas a little bit and the Hemi growls back.

Me personally, and I have no idea how to measure, but I think the idle time at e-torque has given me about .5-.75 MPG back. I think those are reasonable gains, and not overly hyped, and small enough to be what the Ram engineers intended considering this is only a 48v battery.

Based on the 3.92 and fully loaded sport package, if I actually achieve 19mpg, and this truck starts getting better as it breaks in more, I am actually going to start driving it "normally" and the MPG will most undoubetedly suffer, but at least I know my truck is "capable" of hitting the advertised numbers. At some point, there was no way I was going to keep light footing this beast of a truck.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I love that look I get at the drive through when the truck completely shuts off and the cashier is completely baffled at how quiet the truck got, and I let off the gas a little bit and the Hemi growls back.
You can fit your truck in a drive thru? :ROFLMAO:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Driving habits are huge. I notice a lot of people don't coast at all. They see a stop sign and stay on the gas right until they need to brake, same with traffic. I've learned to coast down and it makes a huge difference. Saves fuel and brakes. I started doing this on SRT because the brakes on that cost over $2k.

The ram seems especially sensitive to wind and speed.

True, also the roads you drive. If you live in an area with a lot of elevation changes, it really saps the MPG. Whereas flat areas you can barely touch the throttle and maintain speed.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have almost 1000 miles and 3 fills up to date and a few observations so far to confirm what others are seeing. MPG's numbers have gone up each fill up. From 17, 17.5, and last one 18.5. Yes, I have e-torque, but I consider my truck to be one of those that is supposed to be off the bat, lower than sticker MPG's numbers, i.e. 3.92 axle, 4X4, fully loaded, 22 inch low profile tires. So, that part is bearing out, it does feel like I am getting slightly less than what the sticker MPG combined (19) advertises. But, when in MPG driving mode, I am getting better than what I thought I would get.

So there are some other mitigating factors that could be helping me that I'm not sure how much help, I do have a low profile tri-fold tonneau cover. I also have a K&N filter. I use aero mode almost exclusively, but even Ram engineers say that will at most save 1%.

What impresses me more is that I do 50% mixed driving. I am in the throws of a hot, humid VA summer, and temps have been averaging 90 degrees plus. I know some folks hate e-torque, but I really feel like where the truck shines is city driving and the e-torque is the reason for it. It almost always shuts off at lights, and starts are seamless. I love that look I get at the drive through when the truck completely shuts off and the cashier is completely baffled at how quiet the truck got, and I let off the gas a little bit and the Hemi growls back.

Me personally, and I have no idea how to measure, but I think the idle time at e-torque has given me about .5-.75 MPG back. I think those are reasonable gains, and not overly hyped, and small enough to be what the Ram engineers intended considering this is only a 48v battery.

Based on the 3.92 and fully loaded sport package, if I actually achieve 19mpg, and this truck starts getting better as it breaks in more, I am actually going to start driving it "normally" and the MPG will most undoubetedly suffer, but at least I know my truck is "capable" of hitting the advertised numbers. At some point, there was no way I was going to keep light footing this beast of a truck.
Agreed. Took my truck into the city today and was loving etorque. Had the windows down and AC off. At one light it stayed off for probably 3-4 minutes. Definitely helps keep the city MPG in check without all the idling.

beekay99

Reaction score
You can fit your truck in a drive thru? :ROFLMAO:
Maybe I turned on the 360 aerial view camera.... I'm not THAT paranoid, I swear.

By the way, while I am definitely growing to appreciate the e-torque, it does take about 1000 miles of braking muscle memory with the e-torque engine braking to not completely neck whip your passengers. When you first slow down, you have to put some brake in to start the deceleration. Once decelerating, truck slows with no brake input, but at some point the engine braking is done and the truck begins to coast again. Then you need to apply brake again, but as you brake, and the truck begins to decelerate again, sure enough the truck begins to engine brake harder it seems, at that point you should lighten up the brakes until you are ready to fully depress to a full stop. So yeah, it's kind of a tap, press to a soft press, to a hard stop dance.

Now, my right foot seamlessly works with in tandem with the e-torque engine braking like the clutch play in an manual transmission. But in full disclaimer, I really did not like the engine braking in the first couple hundred miles.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Agreed. Took my truck into the city today and was loving etorque. Had the windows down and AC off. At one light it stayed off for probably 3-4 minutes. Definitely helps keep the city MPG in check without all the idling.

Now I wish I bought the e torque.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are a number of games you can play with eTorque. Like starting the engine by quickly backing off the brake a bit without actually releasing it. The regenerative braking is pretty slick. I think my brake pads are going to last a loooong time.

Love the exhaust note as the truck is slowing under regenerative braking and the transmission is downshifting. Almost sounds like a manual transmission.

I like the double takes I get when the engine stops...and then is instantly running again without any type of starter noise.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My limited came with it and I didn't care too much at first but yesterday was the first day where I thought this is pretty cool.

My girlfriends 2019 Cherokee has start/stop and it really makes you appreciate how smooth etorque is. After one stop in her car I turned it off.

beekay99

Reaction score

Time will tell if it was the right call. It will be years before fuel economy pays off the extra charge. 1st gen tech, not sure of reliability of the system and/or the 48v battery. But I'm the type of person to get new tech for the novelty and when you learn all the things it does, it is more than just regenerative braking. The engineers claim it is much more than fuel savings, that the savings on brake wear and tear and extra engine cooling will be a cost savings realized that you can't easily quantify. But for 1st gen hybrid tech, Ram is on to something and I think they really can start to push the limits of this thing in future years.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For sure. I love the regenetive braking. Takes a bit to get used to but once you do it's nice. My brakes are going to last a long time!

Bigtone

Reaction score
Took my QC Laramie thru Northern PA into NY state yesterday, about 260 miles round trip, about 70% interstate. Hand calculated 21.8 mpg. Truck has 1500 miles on it and has the Hemi, no E torque, 18" wheels and 3.21 rears. I'm very impressed so far, seem to be better mpg that my 2014 got early on.

Firebird

Reaction score
I did an almost 300 mile run today, and my fuel economy is definitely settling in pretty nicely. I did a mix of speeds between 60-75 mph, and it is flat here in Florida. 1/3 of the run was around 70-75, the rest averaged around 60-65 mph. Hand calculation reveals my EVIC to be right at a half mpg optimistic.

IMG_20190812_162615.jpg

Bigtone

Reaction score
I did an almost 300 mile run today, and my fuel economy is definitely settling in pretty nicely. I did a mix of speeds between 60-75 mph, and it is flat here in Florida. 1/3 of the run was around 70-75, the rest averaged around 60-65 mph. Hand calculation reveals my EVIC to be right at a half mpg optimistic.

View attachment 33356
That’s really good with 3.92 gears. My evic was almost 1 mpg high. The mountains around here really hurt the mileage. I’m looking forward to when I head to Fl in the winter. My other rams always got better mileage down south where it is flat, even doing 75 - 80 on I95.

Last edited:

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
did a drive to Lake Charles and got 21.9 mpg according to the computer. I havent confirmed with an fill up yet. Only have 3k miles on the truck and still breaking in

Users who are viewing this thread