5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup camera not working

sep1006

Reaction score
This is the saddest party...ever. Feels like Ram’s version of Covid. Truck was literally built last month; has 300 miles on it, and now its caught the black screen camera virus. No confirmed remedies, Go figure.

While I agree with you this sucks and should NEVER happen in any new truck. I fixed mine ( at least so far ) by doing the "fix" in the video above your posts.

oaviking06

Reaction score
Mine fixed itself a few hours later and haven't had a problem since. Idk why it did it and hope it never happens again. Its Just frustrating, brand new truck and screen goes black and you dont know if it’s permanent or just a lil hiccup

MechEng

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First time poster, just bought my first ever truck.
2021 ram 1500 bighorn. Truck had 18 miles on it and the backup camera went black.
I was able to fix it by doing a factory restart of the infotainment system.

Just like the video above states. Hold the tune and volume buttons for 10 or more seconds until the system restarts. Worked like a charm the first time and haven’t had an issue yet in 600 or so miles. Truck has 650 miles currently. I’ll update if things change.

BoudinBall

Reaction score
My 2021 with 900 miles has had this issue 3 times already. It seems to come back the next day but this afternoon I was hooking up the boat when it went out and it really pissed me off. This shouldn’t happen on a new vehicle.

Evoixjohn

Reaction score
2021 Laramie night edition, rear camera stop at 312miles wtf.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 25

Evoixjohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First time poster, just bought my first ever truck.
2021 ram 1500 bighorn. Truck had 18 miles on it and the backup camera went black.
I was able to fix it by doing a factory restart of the infotainment system.

Just like the video above states. Hold the tune and volume buttons for 10 or more seconds until the system restarts. Worked like a charm the first time and haven’t had an issue yet in 600 or so miles. Truck has 650 miles currently. I’ll update if things change.
I jus tried this and it worked!

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
ok, add me to the list. 2021 Laramie Night Edition; 12" Uconnect with 1700 miles. got to work this morning & as I go back into my spot I see (or actually don't see) camera just black. Everything else works.

dunehiker

Reaction score
Happened to me tonight. Backup camera just black screen. Was doing some shopping, was hoping it'd clear after a few times turning the truck on and off but no dice. '21 Rebel with 12" Uconnect with 350 miles. I was able to do the reset and it came back, still annoying. I'm going to call my dealer on Monday to see what they say. Thanks to @sep1006 for the info on the reset.

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Camera gave out today at 17,000 miles on my 2020 1500.
got a black screen on reverse for the whole day. Tried to fix it by disconnecting the battery and now the camera icon does not show up and is not recognized when the truck is put in reverse. Passenger side seat controls (AC and heat) also not showing up under controls now.

I just battery jumped my PW as I hadn't driven it for a while. I got it fired up and the check engine light went on. So I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes or so and now my camera icon vanished as well as the passenger heat and cooling. No Sirius Travel link either. None of cameras are working.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just battery jumped my PW as I hadn't driven it for a while. I got it fired up and the check engine light went on. So I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes or so and now my camera icon vanished as well as the passenger heat and cooling. No Sirius Travel link either. None of cameras are working.
Similar situation, drove about 20 miles highway and camera and heat settings came back. Replaced battery all good since.
Heat was hi and lo only initially. I believe vehicles do a "load shedding" certain functions take priority.

RamCares

Reaction score
Happened to me tonight. Backup camera just black screen. Was doing some shopping, was hoping it'd clear after a few times turning the truck on and off but no dice. '21 Rebel with 12" Uconnect with 350 miles. I was able to do the reset and it came back, still annoying. I'm going to call my dealer on Monday to see what they say. Thanks to @sep1006 for the info on the reset.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your back-up camera showing a blank screen recently. However, I'm glad you've taken the proper steps to get this addressed and are scheduled to visit your dealer! Please feel free to let us know how your dealer visit goes and if your concerns persist.

Furthermore, if anyone would like extra support while searching for potential resolutions, please do not hesitate to send our team a private message.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

ujourney13

Reaction score
This is ridiculous! 2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn UConnect 8.4 just over 1 month old with 1,013 miles. Got the black screen, and no backup camera. Never happened on any of my previous vehicles with OEM or aftermarket backup camera.

dunehiker

Reaction score
I called my local dealer today and they weren't much help since I had already fixed it by resetting the Uconnect. Has anybody gotten a fix from Ram for their camera failure?

NiteRAM

Reaction score
I too have around 1000 miles on my 21 Laramie and backup camera went black. I reset the Uconnect and it works now but this is concerning on a brand new truck..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeper

Reaction score
mine has done it 4 separate times now! Wonder if I should just do the reset and forget about it

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I hear your concerns and apologize for the inconveniences you may be experiencing. If you decide to get this checked out by your preferred dealer and would like an additional layer of support, send our team a private message with more details about your situation! We would be more than willing to see what we can do for you.

If you would rather try to perform a soft reset of your Uconnect system to see if this resolves your concerns, please perform the steps below-
  1. Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN) For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal
  2. Hold down the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or tuner and volume knob), at the same time, for thirty seconds.
  3. Let go of the buttons
  4. Turn the vehicle off
  5. Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds (or until dash illumination goes black)
  6. Close door
Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

MI Built to Serve

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 6-week old Built to Serve with 1100 miles; cam out this morning, back this afternoon. Dealer said it was a known software problem. DUH!!!

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares
Mine just quit today to. 2021, under 1000 miles. I have disconnected the battery just now. Letting it sit for a while then I'll hook it up and try again. I'll let you know what happens.BTW ive been a mechanic for 42 years.

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
Mine just quit today to. 2021, under 1000 miles. I have disconnected the battery just now. Letting it sit for a while then I'll hook it up and try again. I'll let you know what happens.BTW ive been a mechanic for 42 years.

Good afternoon,

I hear your concerns and apologize for the inconveniences you may be experiencing. If you decide to get this checked out by your preferred dealer and would like an additional layer of support, send our team a private message with more details about your situation! We would be more than willing to see what we can do for you.

If you would rather try to perform a soft reset of your Uconnect system to see if this resolves your concerns, please perform the steps below-
  1. Put your vehicle into the accessories mode (ACC or RUN) For keyless start (push-button) vehicles: push the start button twice without having your foot on the gas or brake pedal
  2. Hold down the Phone and voice recognition buttons (or tuner and volume knob), at the same time, for thirty seconds.
  3. Let go of the buttons
  4. Turn the vehicle off
  5. Open driver’s side door for thirty seconds (or until dash illumination goes black)
  6. Close door
Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds or so. Then the back up camera worked but my screen colors changed to light blue and the zoom feature was gone. Also the camera button was missing from the screen. Then I did the uconnect reset by holding the volume and tuning buttons. All fixed and colors came back too.

Users who are viewing this thread