5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup camera not working

VinnyRam

Reaction score
We just took delivery of a 2021 1500 Night addition. Back up camera just stopped working with less than 100 miles. Black screen. Not happy.
Same when mine was about 150 miles and never since. It will come back on in about 4 hrs . Don't ask me why...

Jb4short

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie with the 12" screen. 120 miles on the truck and my backup camera stopped working. When I put it in reverse the control panel comes up with the backup camera icon in red and I can't change it

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Laramie with the 12" screen. 120 miles on the truck and my backup camera stopped working. When I put it in reverse the control panel comes up with the backup camera icon in red and I can't change it

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

rassilon3098

Reaction score
Just got a 2021 Ram 1500 black edition and back up camera no longer works. 300 miles.
Why did I pay $60k for this truck again?

gman524

Reaction score
Same here, 2021 Bighorn with 130 miles and camera doesn't work, truck is 2 days old

gman524

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares
My did the same thing, I bought it yesterday 10/27/2020 a 2021 Ram 1500 Crew cab Bighorn 12 inch screen with all the options and backup camera stop working. The control panel comes up instead

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My backup camera did not function when I left work this afternoon and the backup icon would not function either, when I got home I tried to stop and restart the engine and it still no backup camera, I used my truck this evening and it worked fine! I have 9600 km and it’s the first time that happened.

Jako

Reaction score
My backup camera did not function when I left work this afternoon and the backup icon would not function either, when I got home I tried to stop and restart the engine and it still no backup camera, I used my truck this evening and it worked fine! I have 9600 km and it’s the first time that happened.
I have had similar experience on I believe 3 occasions. I have not bothered with the dealer as I doubt much would be done. Probably a good idea to keep a "log" of date, time, circumstances and such. I think it happens in the cooler weather, don't recall as I did not keep a "log" but will start if it reoccurs.

RamCares

Reaction score
My did the same thing, I bought it yesterday 10/27/2020 a 2021 Ram 1500 Crew cab Bighorn 12 inch screen with all the options and backup camera stop working. The control panel comes up instead

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had similar experience on I believe 3 occasions. I have not bothered with the dealer as I doubt much would be done. Probably a good idea to keep a "log" of date, time, circumstances and such. I think it happens in the cooler weather, don't recall as I did not keep a "log" but will start if it reoccurs.
That is a very good suggestion, I was going to keep a note pad in the truck but I will keep a log in my phone instead, it will be easy to keep track that way, and no note pad to lose!
Thank you

Sbledsoe

Reaction score
Same here! I bought a laramie 1500. It's 3 weeks old and back up camera stopped working today! WTH??? I hope this isn't the start of many problems as this is my first ram ever.

Jcyo90

Reaction score
Same here! I bought a laramie 1500. It's 3 weeks old and back up camera stopped working today! WTH??? I hope this isn't the start of many problems as this is my first ram ever.
My laramie is almost 5 weeks old and suddenly today it stopped working!! All I see is black screen but after 2 hours later it worked again but after another couple hrs later it did not work again! This is annoying... now I need to drive 1 hour to visit dealership for fixing the problem..

tje304

Reaction score
I have had mine for a little over two years now (2019). My camera just stopped working. I have seen some people say they have trouble with them under 35 degrees F. It just now is getting that cold in Texas. So I am wondering if that is what’s wrong with mine. May have been what was wrong with yours???

Gogayors252001

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a 2021 1500 rebel night edition yesterday. The backup camera stopped working today. It just shows a black screen. Why did I buy this truck. Someone please assist. 616AD451-3DAE-45D1-8660-DEC6BFBB8663.jpeg

melendezc71

Reaction score
My first 1500 Ram bought it a week ago has only 44 miles Limited midnight edition and back up camera does not work can somebody please tell me what the dealer does to solve the problem

socalram

Reaction score
As I anxiously wait for my car to be built and delivered, which I can't wait, just trying to see if there's some pattern here.
Do you guys all have the 12" UConnect?

tmrut5

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2021 Ram Laramie Sport on Tuesday December 8th, I ordered the truck from the factory. On Friday with just 68 miles on it the backup camera stopped working. I have the 8.4" display. I have the most up to date software which I confirmed. After reading some of the threads, I tried the suggestion of disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute, then reconnected I started truck put in reverse and the camera is working again. I had an appointment to take it in but cancelled it. Told the service advisor I would wait to see if it happens again. No point in taking it in for them to tell me it is working now. But the bottom line after seeing how many people have this issue, there is an obvious glitch in this system and it needs to be addressed and we need to be updated as to what is being done. I have always purchased Chevy trucks and cars as my brother works for them and I can get employee pricing. I bought the Ram since they offered employee pricing for all.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2021 Ram Laramie Sport on Tuesday December 8th, I ordered the truck from the factory. On Friday with just 68 miles on it the backup camera stopped working. I have the 8.4" display. I have the most up to date software which I confirmed. After reading some of the threads, I tried the suggestion of disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a minute, then reconnected I started truck put in reverse and the camera is working again. I had an appointment to take it in but cancelled. Told the service advisor I would wait to see if it happens again. No point in taking it in for the to tell me it is working now. But the bottom line after seeing how many people have this issue, there is an obvious glitch in this system and it needs to be addressed and we need to be updated as to what is being done. I have always purchased Chevy trucks and cars as my brother works for them and I can get employee pricing. I bought the Ram since they offered employee pricing for all.
In June my 8.4 Nav and back up camera stopped working. It came back but all my destinations for 1 1/2 years was wiped out. Had it at service 2 weeks ago, the result "all software up to date", which I believe is the original software, so nothing accomplished. I have had the back up camera stop working on a few occasions and come back, yesterday no sound from CD player but radio OK, sound came back.
Taking it to dealer when it is working is as you say "no point".
Keep track of all incidents, perhaps email with picture or video to service for documentation on each event.
I think my best case scenario is the 8.4 stops working all together. Back up camera is part of radio.

Charger68

Reaction score
My 19 and 21 both have intermitent camara issues same as above control panel lower black screen upper. Seems like a software issue.

Users who are viewing this thread