5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Braking while Backing up?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine works great until a put my hitch on. It picks up the hitch and won’t allow me to back up.

My pintle that I keep in the hitch has a chain on it for the pin that locks the pintle top down over the ball, and since the chain is rusted, the pin is now gone and the chain swings around next to the drawbar and causes the auto braking to freak out. When I tuck that chain over the hitch itself so it doesn't swing, I have fewer problems with the auto braking. Generally, it doesn't mind the hitch, even though it's pretty big.

JohnUSA

Reaction score
Happened twice with me. The first time, I was trying to back up about a foot, and it locked up. I couldn't sort it out. The next time, my dog ran behind the truck...BRAKE! I'm not disabling it, though. In my previous vehicle, I almost backed over a gentleman walking in my neighborhood. I was backing out of my driveway. I paused, and looked both ways...clear. My cell phone beeped with a message. I stopped and picked up the phone. I read the message, put the cell phone down, and let my foot off the brake (I was still in reverse). Just as I let my foot off the brake, I caught a motion in my mirror as the old guy stepped right into my path. Many lessons learned, of course. But if it had been a small kid, I might have missed it.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I just went in for oil change at the dealership and complained about the automatic braking problem. They said they did have an update for it. This is what is says on the invoice:

Cause: 1820059J module, park assist control
- Reprogram
module, park assist control (PTS/PAM) - reprogram

9680 check for condition - there is update to park tronics system for system activating prematurely - update the park tronics to latest software version done.

It's only been a week so no problems so far, but we'll see.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember when you had to back up without a Camera or sensors or auto braking?

Leave it on so you don’t back into a Bush? No thanks, I’ve done this a few times.

As for the old man, a lot of things wrong there. Including walking or standing behind a vehicle in reverse.

This is a huge problem with the world now, the inability to function without automated machine assistance. And the damn cell phones, you couldn’t even wait 2 seconds until you backed out of the driveway, have to see it NOW.

This is just one millennials opinion, wondering where other millennials went wrong.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That seems to be entirely determined how a millennial is raised by their parents.

All generations are guilty of being enraptured with their fondle slabs. Can't make it through a signal without doing something else. Ooh, shiny.

Technology should be helpful for the task at hand. If it's not, we don't need it.

I don't touch my phone when I'm driving. I'm entirely focused on driving. This leads to being so aware that many drivers are primarily playing with their phones, they just happen to be behind the wheel.

You can point them out based on the vehicle behavior. I've seen drunks do a better job, because at least they're primarily trying to drive.

Another problem I'm seeing more often is poor lane choice/anticipation of turns almost resulting in accidents. This is likely related to dependence on turn-by-turn navigation apps. "Are you really trying to move over 3 lanes and turn left in 25 feet?" How about using the tools to figure out where you need to go and then supplementing your drive with the app?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Just got my 1500 and cannot back out of the driveway without it going off. I have Air Suspension and it doesn't matter if I'm in normal or Aero, it brakes (and HARD!!!). It's a minor slope. We have a Chrysler Pacifica with the same system, and don't experience any problems backing out of the driveway. I do believe it is a flaw. Mine was built 12/18. I assume it's worth asking the dealership to apply the TSB to see if it fixes it?

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my 1500 and cannot back out of the driveway without it going off. I have Air Suspension and it doesn't matter if I'm in normal or Aero, it brakes (and HARD!!!). It's a minor slope. We have a Chrysler Pacifica with the same system, and don't experience any problems backing out of the driveway. I do believe it is a flaw. Mine was built 12/18. I assume it's worth asking the dealership to apply the TSB to see if it fixes it?

I doubt the TSB will help. The system still exhibits the same behavior on a sloped driveway EVEN with increased ride height. Unfortunately it is not useable.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a build of 12/18 as well and mine also had the rear brake assist going off when nothing was in the way and not on any slope. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the rear brake assist module. Also did some software and recalibration. It’s been right as rain ever since. I suggest you guys have your dealer do the same.

Attachments

• 46C5C375-9FD2-4D96-A131-EA8DFC0CD1C8.jpeg
    46C5C375-9FD2-4D96-A131-EA8DFC0CD1C8.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 51

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
IT's good to know I'm not the only one with these issues. My wife's Escalade has the backup braking, and it's scared the **** out of me on multiple occasions. The Rams system is more aggressive. If I back up too quickly it will slam on the brakes long before I am even remotely close to anything. This morning I was backing up, no cars coming from either direction, and no parked cars behind me within 30 feet. I backed up quickly and it slammed on the brakes for absolutely no reason. My heart damn near stops every time this happens. I feel like if I don't disable it I'm going to lose my mind.

Regarding the forward active braking, I always disable that. It almost caused a few accidents in my SRT Jeep.

brotharon

Reaction score
Well, I am glad it is not just me. I have a pretty steep driveway (not uncommon near the gulf south of Houston) and it hates me backing into my driveway at any speed. I will try adjusting the sensitivity and see if that helps, but it sounds like it is not really a very well sorted system. The backup camera is excellent quality though, so that is neat!

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Well, I am glad it is not just me. I have a pretty steep driveway (not uncommon near the gulf south of Houston) and it hates me backing into my driveway at any speed. I will try adjusting the sensitivity and see if that helps, but it sounds like it is not really a very well sorted system. The backup camera is excellent quality though, so that is neat!
From what I'm experiencing, the sensitivity setting is only for the beeping. The emergency braking seems unaffected by any of the settings. As some have said, the camera may be angled incorrectly. At least one poster said that the problem went away when he had the backup camera sensor replaced. My wife has a Pacifica and we park in the same driveway. We both have the emergency braking. Hers will beep all day long backing out but will never brake. Mine will brake EVERY single time, often before it even beeps. There is something wrong with the sensor, and it's a safety issue because I bought the truck with all the Advanced Safety features, and if I have to turn off the emergency braking because it literally will not let me back out of my driveway, someday I could hit someone or something in a regular parking lot because it's been disabled. It's on my every growing list of things for the dealer to check out next time I bring my truck in. And I mean a LONG ever growing list!!!

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I have a build of 12/18 as well and mine also had the rear brake assist going off when nothing was in the way and not on any slope. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the rear brake assist module. Also did some software and recalibration. It’s been right as rain ever since. I suggest you guys have your dealer do the same.
I've had the rear park assist turned off for over a month now, and hardly ever get any warnings or beeps trying to back out of my driveway anymore. So, I figured, hmmmm, maybe everything is better now. Truck seems fine backing out no problem. So, turned on the rear park assist, and first time backing out of the driveway, it started beeping and warning and the emergency braking kicked in twice!

So, I'm in agreement with @Patsy1099 that it's the rear park assist system that simply needs to be replaced. It's not that it's too sensitive. The system works fine when the rear brake assist is off. I've had good results with it off. It generally does a good job of identifying when something is in the way and beeps appropriately. And when backing out of my driveway, there are never any obstructions, so it doesn't beep.

But as soon as I turn the rear brake assist back on, you'd think there was a f**ing cow standing behind my truck in the driveway! The damn thing starts beeping the second I start rolling out of the driveway.

I'm going to take it to the dealer and explain all this to them and see if they will perform the same thing they did for @Patsy1099 and replace the rear brake assist module. Has anyone else gone that route and had success or has everyone else simply succumbed to leaving it turned off?

jkm312

Reaction score
I've had the rear park assist turned off for over a month now, and hardly ever get any warnings or beeps trying to back out of my driveway anymore. So, I figured, hmmmm, maybe everything is better now. Truck seems fine backing out no problem. So, turned on the rear park assist, and first time backing out of the driveway, it started beeping and warning and the emergency braking kicked in twice!

So, I'm in agreement with @Patsy1099 that it's the rear park assist system that simply needs to be replaced. It's not that it's too sensitive. The system works fine when the rear brake assist is off. I've had good results with it off. It generally does a good job of identifying when something is in the way and beeps appropriately. And when backing out of my driveway, there are never any obstructions, so it doesn't beep.

But as soon as I turn the rear brake assist back on, you'd think there was a f**ing cow standing behind my truck in the driveway! The damn thing starts beeping the second I start rolling out of the driveway.

I'm going to take it to the dealer and explain all this to them and see if they will perform the same thing they did for @Patsy1099 and replace the rear brake assist module. Has anyone else gone that route and had success or has everyone else simply succumbed to leaving it turned off?
I've had some occasional problems backing up same as you, although not as severe. If I keep my foot on the brake and back up slowly, it works as it should. When it does get extra touchy I have found that cleaning the dirt and dust out of the sensor's helps a lot. Just something to consider, not knowing what kinds of roads you drive the truck on.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 Limited for about a year now. The rear automatic braking has been enabled the entire time. Many of the driveways in my town are angled down to the street and many of them cause the alert system to beep and then quick stop! Usually startles the people who are riding with me. Finally late October I decided to take it to my dealer and get this fixed. I have a friends driveway that causes the autonomous braking to kick in every time, so I told dealer of the address and said I would use that as a 'test' to see if it got fixed. Well, the truck went in today. Service manager took a ride with me to the test driveway and I let the service manager drive in and back out. Sure enough, brakes kicked in. Manager got out of truck, looked where it was stopped and made a comment that the distance sensors are mounted differently that in previous years. Much lower below the rear bumper. Told me it appears to be a design issue and that they did update the firmware of the controller, but apparently the issue is more of a sensor placement problem. He said he would contact FCA and see if there is anything more they can do for me.
This is an expensive system in this truck. I do not want to turn it off or just use the alarm. I want to use what I paid for. The system has worked well on at least one occasion to keep me from hitting a sign.
As a side note - I have set my forward collision to alarm only and it seems to work as expected. I have never had any issues with the adaptive cruise and I use it every road trip I take.
Has anyone found a solution to the backup braking false detection issue? Sounds like I am not the only one to have this happen.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 Limited for about a year now. The rear automatic braking has been enabled the entire time. Many of the driveways in my town are angled down to the street and many of them cause the alert system to beep and then quick stop! Usually startles the people who are riding with me. Finally late October I decided to take it to my dealer and get this fixed. I have a friends driveway that causes the autonomous braking to kick in every time, so I told dealer of the address and said I would use that as a 'test' to see if it got fixed. Well, the truck went in today. Service manager took a ride with me to the test driveway and I let the service manager drive in and back out. Sure enough, brakes kicked in. Manager got out of truck, looked where it was stopped and made a comment that the distance sensors are mounted differently that in previous years. Much lower below the rear bumper. Told me it appears to be a design issue and that they did update the firmware of the controller, but apparently the issue is more of a sensor placement problem. He said he would contact FCA and see if there is anything more they can do for me.
This is an expensive system in this truck. I do not want to turn it off or just use the alarm. I want to use what I paid for. The system has worked well on at least one occasion to keep me from hitting a sign.
As a side note - I have set my forward collision to alarm only and it seems to work as expected. I have never had any issues with the adaptive cruise and I use it every road trip I take.
Has anyone found a solution to the backup braking false detection issue? Sounds like I am not the only one to have this happen.

read my posts earlier in the thread. I had the problem. They fixed it. Only happens now when backing up too quickly and at sharp angles. It is 98% perfect now. You need a rear brake assist control module and software update.

PMantle

Reaction score
Did a search and this is the closest thread I could find to my issue.

So, I often disable the backing warning because it's so irritating when backing my boat. The problem is, it doesn't come back on the next time I use the truck. I have almost slammed into things twice. Is that normal? Is there a way to make it come back on automatically?

Jako

Reaction score
Did a search and this is the closest thread I could find to my issue.

So, I often disable the backing warning because it's so irritating when backing my boat. The problem is, it doesn't come back on the next time I use the truck. I have almost slammed into things twice. Is that normal? Is there a way to make it come back on automatically?
Backing into some driveways causes the Ram to brake and turning it off for those occasions is a problem as I have not always turned it back on. This can lead to a false belief that the back up warning is operating. My routine now is to turn it back on immediately after parking and I'm not 100% successful.
I do not know of a way for the warning to turn itself back on but just to let you know that you are not alone with this issue.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I had the same problem backing into the parking spot at my girlfriend's townhouse. It didn't happen when I first bought my RAM but started happening consistently after I added a Westin Hitch Step (picture attached). I'm not getting rid of the hitch step so I disabled active breaking off in the Safety and Driving Assistance settings. My backup camera and sensors work just fine so I consider the issue resolved.

Attachments

• _IMG_20200521_201152.jpg
    _IMG_20200521_201152.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 40

intelligence209

Reaction score
Nothing scares the **** out of me more then when I forget to turn the sensor off when I have my trailer hitch attached and it stops me suddenly making me think I hit something!

Users who are viewing this thread