5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Braking while Backing up?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe FRONT COLLISON system has auto braking too

I can’t seem to find anything definitive on it. There are different levels of drive assist so I could be confusing the braking for the front / rear safety feature vs the advanced safety feature? If it does, yay, a feature I didn’t think I had but do. Time to grab my son and tell him to stand in the road while daddy tests something. Lol. Kidding! I’ll grab the wife. :)

cjmst23

Reaction score
I can’t seem to find anything definitive on it. There are different levels of drive assist so I could be confusing the braking for the front / rear safety feature vs the advanced safety feature? If it does, yay, a feature I didn’t think I had but do. Time to grab my son and tell him to stand in the road while daddy tests something. Lol. Kidding! I’ll grab the wife. :)
They call the forward braking... Mitigation
Screenshot_20181119-220455.png

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I was about to turn it off. I had a 19 Limited for 6 months and only ever had it engage when I was really about to hit something. I have had my current truck for just over a month and it has engaged the brake assist like 7 times already for no apparent reason whatsoever. Twice when I was still in my street way before I even got to the beginning of the driveway. Time to make an appointment at the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kittyjo

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I was about to turn it off. I had a 19 Limited for 6 months and only ever had it engage when I was really about to hit something. I have had my current truck for just over a month and it has engaged the brake assist like 7 times already for no apparent reason whatsoever. Twice when I was still in my street way before I even got to the beginning of the driveway. Time to make an appointment at the dealer.

Happens to mine also just be sure to make sure the sensors are cleaned and don’t have dust or debree blocking them...

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Happens to mine also just be sure to make sure the sensors are cleaned and don’t have dust or debree blocking them...

Only had the truck a little over a month and outside of a weekend up in the snow it’s been clean as a whistle. And just going by my previous experience with a similar truck it feels like it’s not working right.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
The only time it's given me problems (5-times) was in our shop building on level ground. Don't understand why it's kicking on the brakes while backing up on level ground (with nothing in my way). It did it yesterday in reverse, then put in in Drive and it did it too! I even have the brake assist turned off, and it's still doing it. I may have to go to the dealership. I'll ask them about the TSB 08-076-18 and see what they say.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Glad I discovered this thread. I know some people will disagree that it's flawed, but I think it's flawed.

Any word if that firmware update resolved other user's issues?

Tmcb

Reaction score
I had the update done and it made no change to my issue, and that is the angle of my driveway. I just had to turn off the braking
Mine works great until a put my hitch on. It picks up the hitch and won’t allow me to back up.

myram2019

Reaction score
Mine works great until a put my hitch on. It picks up the hitch and won’t allow me to back up.
How big is your hitch?
It did it to me yesterday with my family. I was backing up on a flat road in the middle of the street and BAM...complete stop.
It has a mind of its own. I didnt see anything in front or rear. I think I'll be turning it off.

kittyjo

Reaction score
If the sensors are dirty it will stop the truck in its tracks haha it did it to me at gas station when I was backing up when it slam on the brakes everyone looked at me lol

Vic

Reaction score
...had to turn mine off after going off 3 times for no apparent reason. I don't like the adrenaline hit before I've had my coffee!

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like some have I said, I didn’t know I had active braking. When I had my step bars installed, it slammed the brakes when the mechanic tried to back the truck onto the lift. I was watching, and thought he hit something!

You know, a lot of these new safety features are cool. But I could go without them. The constant beeping at me, flashing lights, stopping when I don’t want it to....not to mention driving up the cost of new vehicles.

Reactions: Vic

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Figured I should follow up on this. The dealer did flash something per a TSB for the Active Braking and it did indeed fix the problem of it stopping for no reason. Has not happened since.

jkm312

Reaction score
I've had my truck for a couple of weeks now. Got most of it figured out so far, at least I think I do. The active braking has activated 3 times this week. During the first week I was deliberately slow getting to know how it handles and turns. I back into some very difficult and tight places, one being a single lane alley, solid brick walls on both sides into a garage, 12 foot door, and then down a steep slope. The garage floor is lower than the alley elevation by 2 feet, think 100 year old building. I've been doing that for years. Now that I am comfortable with the handling of the Ram, I move a little faster. Too fast and the braking system activates, it errors on the side of caution. As long as I go slow, no problems. My experience has taught me to slow down.

The surround camera helps. The mirrors stick out a little more on the Ram then they did on the 09 Silverado, that part I'm still haven't gotten totally comfortable with. I like the Ram mirrors much better.

Outside of this, I'm really enjoying the truck thus far. Dropped in the bed liner, installed a Lomax tonneau cover, added Putco bed rails last evening. Last week was the Gatorbacks and an oil catch can. Last thing on the list is some under seat rear storage for my quad cab. I've found a wealth of information here on this forum, thanks to all of you for your insights.

I hope my observation above can be of some help.

Kadarnall

Reaction score
Ive had this happen twice now, both while backing down a driveway. All of a sudden the brakes lock up, and on the dash it says "BRAKING!!" across the whole display.

I'm in reverse, backup senspors are on, I didn't think this truck had an active braking system? It must or I have a major issue. Can really catch you off guard. I'm guessing its detecting the Road, as I come down a sloped driveway?

Any others experience this? 2019 Rebel with ETorq, and air suspension
Its so annoying sometimes...if I back into a spot I have to turn off the rear sensors so I can back all the way in.

Users who are viewing this thread