5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto stop/start feature and excessive wear on the starter ?

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Recently a buddy of mine who is a gear head mentioned that the start/stop feature on our trucks is going to wear out our starters way sooner than if we didn't have that feature enabled.

Wondering if the motor is being started by the e-torque or is it actually the starter kicking it back on. If so.... he may have a point and I might disable it current frequent short stops.

Anyone know what fires the motor back up after releasing the brakes ?

Geobound

Reaction score
I don't have anything to add to this thread, other than a friend of mine has this feature on his Subaru and he hates it.

Apparently there is a bit of a lag from stepping on the gas and going, and he too feels that this will cause a shortened life span on the starter motor. I don't think his vehicle was more than a week old and he disabled that feature.

All I knew was that when I was getting my truck, that was the one feature I didn't want and didn't get.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Recently a buddy of mine who is a gear head mentioned that the start/stop feature on our trucks is going to wear out our starters way sooner than if we didn't have that feature enabled.

Wondering if the motor is being started by the e-torque or is it actually the starter kicking it back on. If so.... he may have a point and I might disable it current frequent short stops.

Anyone know what fires the motor back up after releasing the brakes ?
If you have start/stop then you have etorque and you don’t have a starter.

kjn86

Reaction score
It isn't the same concept as simply turning off the engine manually and back on again like your friend is suggesting. There have been cars using this tech for many years. They figured out the right materials to support the frequent starting and stopping I think. It's too simplistic to assume they didn't change anything and just added the start/stop to the same engine. My wife's van has it and so did my last Jeep before the Ram. I feel wrong now when I stop and the engine doesn't turn off. Took a minute for it to become normal to me, but I have zero problems with it. I got the eTorque specifically for this. Makes some minor dent in emissions so I feel better about it. It is definitely not a problem to drive. Again, if you don't have it, you assume it's like turning your car off completely when it's more of a short pause that resumes rapidly.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
AutoWeek from Jan 19, 2018 said: “Well, in a literal sense, it’s an alternator (the vehicle's electrical generator) replacement -- the 2019 Ram no longer comes with one because the eTorque tech provides the electricity. But in addition to keeping the 12-volt battery charged, the motor/generator quickly restarts the motor when the automatic stop/start system is used, and it adds assist as a mild-hybrid system.“

So while I don't think its a starter replacement, F150’s since 2015 (ecoboost) have had auto/start stop since 2015, with no real issues. As a poster said, many cars have this. Your warranty takes care of it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have start/stop then you have etorque and you don’t have a starter.

Etorque models still have a starter like any other vehicle but it is only used for the initial cold start. Once the truck is running and the truck up to temperature the etorque will take over starting the truck for stop/starts. It's a mild hybrid system that uses a motor to start the engine much faster, this is different then a vehicle that has stop start without the hybrid system and it works much better.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. Here are the facts:

1. Ram 1500's with eTorque do have a starter. Ram has said that this is to enable starts in very cold weather as the 12V battery and starter are proven to work well in those environments.
2. When the eTorque start/stop restarts the car, it does not use the starter. It uses the motor/generator (alternator repalcement) which uses a reinforced belt warranted for 100,000 miles.

Please double check your facts before posting what you think you know as the truth.

Texas Woody

Reaction score
I usually hate the lag and shuttering of stop/start systems. The e-torque eliminates all that is almost totally seamless.

My experience over the first 9,000 miles of my ownership is that the stop/start is, most definitely, NOT seamless. There's a definite shudder when the engine cuts off (sometimes it's less noticeable than other times, but ALWAYS noticeable), and there's a slight-but-definite lag in the throttle response when pressing the gas pedal after letting off the brake pedal. The interesting sensation is that the eTorque system gets the truck rolling the instant you take your foot off the brake, before the throttle kicks in.

Should I be worried my experience is "out of spec"?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My experience over the first 9,000 miles of my ownership is that the stop/start is, most definitely, NOT seamless. There's a definite shudder when the engine cuts off (sometimes it's less noticeable than other times, but ALWAYS noticeable), and there's a slight-but-definite lag in the throttle response when pressing the gas pedal after letting off the brake pedal. The interesting sensation is that the eTorque system gets the truck rolling the instant you take your foot off the brake, before the throttle kicks in.

I don't have eTorque, but from what I've heard on this site about the system, it should be seamless. Yours may need tweaking.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If the A/C is running, I have to check my tachometer to see if my engine actually shut off. No joke.

I have the same sensation with eTorque, so I have to remember not to "rush" hitting the gas (or I'll get jerky acceleration and/or break tires loose). If you drive it like a golf cart (just lift your foot off the brake and lazily press the gas), it works like a champ.

Texas Woody

Reaction score
The MDH on my truck is 051812, so I think my truck qualifies for the service bulletin for reprogramming the TCM with the latest software update. This latest version is "supposed" to contain an auto-start improvement, along with reducing the clunkiness of downshifts when coasting at slow speeds. Maybe this service bulletin will take care of the issue... it's service bulletin 21-002-19 Rev. A which was released on June 29th.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just like any electronic device - make sure the firmware is up to date. Sad thing is that only a dealer can do it but if you see a later advisory with a new flash that addresses issue you are having definitely get them done.

I definitely get some noticeable stop/starts and attribute it to the system not disabling the AC compressor before starting. I could be wrong but don't notice the start/stops at all in the winter when the AC is off.

RamCares

Reaction score
The MDH on my truck is 051812, so I think my truck qualifies for the service bulletin for reprogramming the TCM with the latest software update. This latest version is "supposed" to contain an auto-start improvement, along with reducing the clunkiness of downshifts when coasting at slow speeds. Maybe this service bulletin will take care of the issue... it's service bulletin 21-002-19 Rev. A which was released on June 29th.

Hi Texas Woody,

If it would be of interest, we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance as you work with your Ram dealer. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I had a loaner with E-Torque for about a week. The shut off wasn't really bad; it was only noticeable because the engine stopped running and everything seemed quiet. But, the start is NOT seamless at all. I agree that if you catch it right, it is sort of strange how the truck starts rolling as it is starting. I also was not a fan or the regenerative braking. The one thing that I did like was that the loaner seemed to be getting about 2 MPG better than my truck; but the loaner was a Tradesman with 3.21 gears.

The_Dude

Reaction score
I think the system works fine. Can definitely feel it when the engine shuts off but the start is almost imperceptible. Regen braking is also fine, don't really notice it.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Etorque models still have a starter like any other vehicle but it is only used for the initial cold start. Once the truck is running and the truck up to temperature the etorque will take over starting the truck for stop/starts. It's a mild hybrid system that uses a motor to start the engine much faster, this is different then a vehicle that has stop start without the hybrid system and it works much better.
Via Google, The V-6 and V-8 engines with eTorque retain a conventional 12-volt starter motor, used for cold starts and first start of the day due to its greater efficiency in extreme temperatures. ... The 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 will also be available without the eTorque system.
I really like it, as it starts the engine as soon as you take your foot off of the break, and you are rolling before you put your foot on the gas.

Users who are viewing this thread