5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto stop/start feature and excessive wear on the starter ?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a bit old school so the engine going off worries me which is why I hate start/stop. Any vehicles I've had that have it I disable it as a habit on starting the vehicle. Glad I don't have it on this truck.

I have read where the manufacturers use a much more robust starter/battery to help with wear and tear issues.

thoper

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a leftover 2019 Laramie with eTorque. My understanding is you can Disable the start/stop?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a leftover 2019 Laramie with eTorque. My understanding is you can Disable the start/stop?
Yes. It has to be done each time the truck is power cycled. There's no reason to disable it, imo. It works fine, doesn't use the starter to restart the engine and will save fuel (every 90 seconds at idle the truck uses 1.7 ounces of fuel according to Chrysler) I don't even notice it anymore with 800 miles on my truck.

I will caution you to consider a 2020 vs a 2019. I'd get as late a build date as you can.

This guy is annoying, but the video has good info

Users who are viewing this thread