5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto park park disabling

DWAM

Reaction score
I'm admittedly a country person. This weekend I was out hunting going into a snow covered overgrown field with weeds 3 to 4' high. Everything started going off making a racket that almost drove me to put my '20 limited on Craigslist. "Fasten Seat Belt!" "Door open slam on the auto park!" "Crash warning!" Open the door to look at something and it throws into park. Clearly the engineers at Ram have never spent any real time as a rural landowner or off road doing things. Now I did get some things off like forward collision warning, and the seatbelt warning.

Does anyone know how to disable the auto parking brake and the auto shift into park features (disappointments really).

Thanks!

John Jensen

Reaction score
There's a lot of data on this if you do a search
Basically, Ram had to add this feature because an idiot let his truck run over and kill him.
You can sit on your fastened seat belt or get a seat belt extender to defeat the feature.

sd2134

Reaction score
The feature is called safe hold, you can over ride it if needed. As John referenced, the kid from Star Wars got killed by his Durango.

From my owners manual:

SafeHold is a safety feature of the Electric Park
Brake System that will engage the park brake
automatically if the vehicle is left unsecured
while the ignition is in ON/RUN.
The park brake will automatically engage if all of
the following conditions are met:
 The vehicle is at a standstill.
 There is no attempt to depress the brake
pedal or accelerator pedal.
 The seat belt is unbuckled.
 The driver door is open.
SafeHold can be temporarily bypassed by
pushing the Electric Park Brake Switch while the
driver door is open. Once manually bypassed,
SafeHold will be enabled again once the vehicle
reaches 12 mph (20 km/h) or the ignition is
turned to the OFF position and back to ON
again.

full thread

shaun freddy

Reaction score
I'm admittedly a country person. This weekend I was out hunting going into a snow covered overgrown field with weeds Kodi nox 3 to 4' high. Everything started going off making a racket that almost drove me to put my '20 limited on Craigslist. "Fasten Seat Belt!" "Door open slam on the auto park!" "Crash warning!" Open the door to look at something and it throws into park. Clearly the engineers at Ram have never spent any real time as a rural landowner or off road doing things. Now I did get some things off like forward collision warning, and the seatbelt warning.

Does anyone know how to disable the auto parking brake and the auto shift into park features (disappointments really).

Thanks!
I think the manual can help you with this ! do you have it ?

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All basic features for John Q Public. Just adjust the settings however you want them. You don't want the collision warnings? Temporarily, just hit the toggle, permanently, adjust the settings.

As others said, that book that was in the glove compartment will help a lot. It has amazing stuff written in it.

Yes, you have to have either a seat belt on or a door closed to drive. Even Jeeps are that way now and you drive them without doors.

DWAM

Reaction score
Thanks for replys. This I found, it's a temporary fix only. I want to disable the entire function of anything but putting it on myself. These city engineers have never done fencing or the like on a farm.
SafeHold
SafeHold is a safety feature of the Electric Park Brake System that will engage the park brake automatically if the vehicle is left unsecured while the ignition is in ON/RUN.
The park brake will automatically engage if all of the following conditions are met:
 The vehicle is at a standstill.
 There is no attempt to depress the brake
pedal or accelerator pedal.
 The seat belt is unbuckled.
 The driver door is open.
SafeHold can be temporarily bypassed by pushing the Electric Park Brake Switch while the driver door is open. Once manually bypassed, SafeHold will be enabled again once the vehicle
reaches 12 mph (20 km/h) or the ignition is turned to the OFF position and back to ON again.

Then there's the "Auto Park". Really annoying if a door is ajar or you want to crack the door to look at something on the ground.
AutoPark — Rotary Shifter and 8-Speed Transmission Only
AutoPark is a supplemental feature to assist in placing the vehicle in PARK should the situations on the following pages occur. It is a back up system and should not be relied upon
as the primary method by which the driver shifts the vehicle into PARK.
The conditions under which AutoPark will engage are outlined on the following pages.
If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver turns off the engine, the vehicle may AutoPark.
AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
 Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and
an 8-speed transmission
 Vehicle is not in PARK
 Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less
 Ignition switched from RUN to ACC
NOTE:
For Keyless Enter-N-Go equipped vehicles, the engine will turn off and the ignition switch will change to ACC mode. After 30 minutes the ignition switches to OFF automatically, unless the
driver turns the ignition switch OFF.
If the vehicle is not in PARK and the driver exits the vehicle with the engine running, the vehicle may AutoPark.
AutoPark will engage when all of these conditions are met:
 Vehicle is equipped with a rotary shifter and
an 8-speed transmission
 Vehicle is not in PARK
 Vehicle speed is 1.2 mph (1.9 km/h) or less
 Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
 Driver’s door is ajar
 Brake pedal is not depressed
The MESSAGE “AutoPark Engaged Shift to P then Shift to Gear” will display in the instrument cluster.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for replys. This I found, it's a temporary fix only. I want to disable the entire function of anything but putting it on myself.
For both of those features, the owners manual outlines how you can entirely disable both functions whenever you want:
“Driver’s seat belt is unbuckled”

So, you can get one of these for about $12. That way, you can choose when it is on or off depending on whether you unbuckle the seatbelt from the extender, of if you unbuckle the extender with the seatbelt still plugged into it. Pretty simple stuff.
66A530DD-AD33-4198-B531-EB3A8B0220D5.jpeg

LouNY

Reaction score
I've had the seat belt extenders in my 19 for a few years it does eliminate many of the safety nazi bugs but not all of them.
I put my snow tires on today went over to my brothers to use his lift. We are both big guys so we have to get out of the trucks before they are in position to be lifted and roll them the last couple of feet to fit between the uprights.
How in the hell is a perdon supposed to be able to roll the truck a few feet on a level floor when it keeps throwing itself into the auto park mode and you can't get it to stay in neutral????
What a piece of garbage, had to put the transfercase into neutral in order to roll the truck :mad:
:mad::mad: and that was after turning off the auto parking brake (I do like that as constant use they don't freeze up) and putting the air suspension into the jack mode.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been using the seatbelt extender like pictured above for a few years. But, if you have the Tazer DT programming tool you can disable AutoPark that way now also.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the seat belt extenders in my 19 for a few years it does eliminate many of the safety nazi bugs but not all of them.
I put my snow tires on today went over to my brothers to use his lift. We are both big guys so we have to get out of the trucks before they are in position to be lifted and roll them the last couple of feet to fit between the uprights.
How in the hell is a perdon supposed to be able to roll the truck a few feet on a level floor when it keeps throwing itself into the auto park mode and you can't get it to stay in neutral????
What a piece of garbage, had to put the transfercase into neutral in order to roll the truck :mad:
:mad::mad: and that was after turning off the auto parking brake (I do like that as constant use they don't freeze up) and putting the air suspension into the jack mode.
Why not just put the trans in neutral with the override lever?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why not just put the trans in neutral with the override lever?
What? Use the option the factory built in for you? Oh what a pain in the butt that is. Man the few occasions you might have to use it rather than a shifter?

Just put that Ram in the junkyard and give me a 170 hp 1975 Powerwagon. No nanny controls on it and I can get 0 to 60 in 5 minutes. Yea, new junk.

Users who are viewing this thread