5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Brake Feature - Be Careful

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the problem with Safety items. If they are too sensitive everyone hates them and if they aren't sensitive enough there are liability issues. Nothing is going to replace the Human in the Chair for a LONG LONG LONG time to come. However in conjunction with a human the safety devices will reduce most accidents and probably save some lives (even though braking in the middle of an open road going real fast is scary and could cause an accident, YIKES!) in the long run. Hopefully they provide a software update that is more fault tolerant than what is currently in use.
Ya'll be safe out there amongst the self driving robots!

cipherbreak

Reaction score
It’s only a matter of time until someone gets hurt or worse by the malfunctioning “safety” feature. We know there are RAM representatives perusing these forums. They better get ready for the lawsuit.

OSUPokes

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this has happened to me multiple times going toward and reverse.
Almost was rear ended twice. Truck is going to kill someone if not fixed.

Jims380da

Reaction score
Mine has done it at low speeds backing up in reverse. Has giving a heat attack each time. Scary **** when not expecting it. Is there a way to turn off the braking but leave the audible warning?

Toothninja

Reaction score
My truck slammed on the brakes when attempting to go through a yellow light...are these things meant to stop at red lights as well? I was super lucky that no one was behind me as well!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has done it at low speeds backing up in reverse. Has giving a heat attack each time. Scary **** when not expecting it. Is there a way to turn off the braking but leave the audible warning?

Short answer is yes, I don't remember exactly how, but "by going through the menus", I think in Uconnect?
I found it. I think I unchecked "brake assist", might have been the label? It still makes the tone, but after 2 phantom braking incidents, I was done with it.

MTaylor

Reaction score
Nothing is going to replace the Human in the Chair for a LONG LONG LONG time to come. Hopefully they provide a software update that is more fault tolerant than what is currently in use.
Ya'll be safe out there amongst the self driving robots!

Exactly true!

Too sensitive, they are hated and can cause accidents
Not sensitive enough, hated and statements come out saying they don't work and can cause accidents (too dependent on tech).

I just bought my wife a new car and the major magazine and driver reviews said same thing. We have the option and Ins is cheaper for it, but not taking the risk of the car slamming the brakes in the middle of the road; especially with Houston drivers...thus shut it off right away! To many of the new cars have this and I haven't read one Mfg that this is working without issue.

Reaction score
I just got my truck back from the dealership today to get the backup camera replaced and get a software update to fix my tilt mirrors getting stuck. Not 2 minutes after leaving the dealership I'm driving under the overpass to get to the onramp and the brakes slam from the collision avoidance with nothing in front of me for 40-50 feet ( I was only doing 15-20 mph) and a car riding my ***. I'm wondering if something in the software update has screwed up my collision avoidance as this never happened before today. Luckily the car behind me was able to stop in time but just barely.

tyresmoker

Reaction score
Kinda strange..My '11 GC Summit, '15 & '16 Escalades and '17 SRT GC all were equipped with brake assist. I never experienced a malfunction with any of them. My wifes '19 Wrangler also has it and there is a certain overpass in my town that triggers it...And it sucks when it happens!
I can tell you that it has saved my bacon more than once in my cars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online