5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what RPM does your aftermarket exhaust drone?

U

User_63152

For drone you have three options.
1)Go back to stock.
2)cut some pipe off the total length to move the standing wave to another rpm band.
3)add a Helmholtz resonator.

If you want to chop pipe length off, ASHRAE has a formula for determining exhaust pipe length of diesel generators for commercial buildings. I used this method on a Silverado that I installed a Banks no-drone cat back on. That POS droned like a cat in heat.
Custom J-Pipe is the way to go. I did a 37.5'' 2.25'' pipe. I had a horrible drone between 1500 and 1700 RPM (108Hz). I used the Helmholtz calculator to figure out the best length of J-Pipe. Mine worked out pretty well, for the most part. It drastically reduced drone frequency noise.

Attachments

• J-Pipe a.jpg
    J-Pipe a.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 52
  • J-Pipe b.jpg
    J-Pipe b.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 50
  • J-Pipe Complete.jpg
    J-Pipe Complete.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:

sppb32

Reaction score
Did you go from stock to this? How is it cruising from 1500-1800 rpm on the highway?
No i had the Flowmaster FlowFx first and a cheap Ebay turbine one, they all have a little drone to them but it's very little, i ended up getting the Borla S type catback, i still have the other systems I'll end up selling as soon as i have the time.

nateonator

Reaction score
I only get a little drone on decel in MDS. It's really not that bad. Just have a flowmaster muffler and larger tips.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Klicht87

Reaction score
Just installed the AWE 0FG from the Borla ATAK. The AWE has absolutely zero drone at any speed, any acceleration and, just like the factory exhaust, can't even tell when MDS kicks in. Also, I have the 3.92 gears. Someone commented earlier up that they were shocked the Borla ATAK has no drone. It's true, it doesn't have any drone but it does have in cabin noise. People should understand the difference between noise and drone. My previous 2018 Silverado had terrible drone when MDS kicked in.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Just installed the AWE 0FG from the Borla ATAK. The AWE has absolutely zero drone at any speed, any acceleration and, just like the factory exhaust, can't even tell when MDS kicks in. Also, I have the 3.92 gears. Someone commented earlier up that they were shocked the Borla ATAK has no drone. It's true, it doesn't have any drone but it does have in cabin noise. People should understand the difference between noise and drone. My previous 2018 Silverado had terrible drone when MDS kicked in.
So does the Awe have in cabin noise like the borla?

Klicht87

Reaction score
So does the Awe have in cabin noise like the borla?
It's slightly louder than stock but not by much. I'm really surprised how quiet the AWE system is when your not stomping on it. Even at 2k to 2.1k RPM (highway cruising), it's still pretty quiet. I would get a headache with my Borla ATAK.

RamLink83

Reaction score
It's slightly louder than stock but not by much. I'm really surprised how quiet the AWE system is when your not stomping on it. Even at 2k to 2.1k RPM (highway cruising), it's still pretty quiet. I would get a headache with my Borla ATAK.
Thanks. I may go to the Awe of I can get a discount code on it. Seems like install should be easier than the Borla since it has more adjustability and can lock the hangers in place with collars. The borla is a pain to center the tips and keep them there.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Thanks. I may go to the Awe of I can get a discount code on it. Seems like install should be easier than the Borla since it has more adjustability and can lock the hangers in place with collars. The borla is a pain to center the tips and keep them there.
Mine was too, I had to yank on the pipes and bend them to line up as straight as possible.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Sorry, I have a few more questions.
Would you say the AWE is quieter in the cabin versus the Borla?
What about cold starts? Look for something that is not obnoxious.
I have 3.92 gears as well. You mentioned at 2k or so it's pretty quiet. How does it compare to the borla at those RPMs?

Thanks!

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS that gets amplified with an aftermarket exhaust sounds worse than any Ford Ecoboost engine.
It's just an awful sound to be coming from a V-8 truck.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Sorry, I have a few more questions.
Would you say the AWE is quieter in the cabin versus the Borla?
What about cold starts? Look for something that is not obnoxious.
I have 3.92 gears as well. You mentioned at 2k or so it's pretty quiet. How does it compare to the borla at those RPMs?

Thanks!
This is all compared to the Borla ATAK I had:
The AWE is so much quieter in the cabin at all RPMs. The only time you really hear it in the cabin is accelerating from a stop or stomping on it on the highway. Cold starts are loud but still slightly quieter than Borla but calms down after about 10 seconds. It's not obnoxious but my wife can hear it inside the house. I notice a slight change when MDS kicks in but only slightly more than stock. The borla wasn't bad with MDS either. My only complaint about the ATAK was it was just loud all the time and the noise on the highway got to be a bit much.

RamLink83

Reaction score
This is all compared to the Borla ATAK I had:
The AWE is so much quieter in the cabin at all RPMs. The only time you really hear it in the cabin is accelerating from a stop or stomping on it on the highway. Cold starts are loud but still slightly quieter than Borla but calms down after about 10 seconds. It's not obnoxious but my wife can hear it inside the house. I notice a slight change when MDS kicks in but only slightly more than stock. The borla wasn't bad with MDS either. My only complaint about the ATAK was it was just loud all the time and the noise on the highway got to be a bit much.
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the AWE might be pretty comparable to the Borla Touring in terms of volume. My wife can hear my truck start up in our bedroom which is on the opposite side of the house where I park.

My main gripe about the Borla is the fitment. The passenger side fits like crap so I opted for a warranty replacement because they said there was an issue with some Touring models, however the replacement isn't expected to be shipped until the end of the month and there is no guarantee the fitment of the new one will be on par since it doesn't have the adjustability of the AWE. I have the option for a refund, so I'm so torn on what I want to do. Just don't want to end up with a super loud exhaust. However, the touring is pretty loud and can definitely hear it in the cab at all rpms. Not terribly loud unless you floor it.

U

User_63152

No matter what exhaust we put on our trucks, there will be that annoying resonant frequency. My advice is do the research and get a custom J-Pipe put on to counteract the resonance. That's what we "hear". It's a drone frequency vibration. Inside the cab, anyway. Mine was night and day difference after the J-Pipe install. It cost me $100 at a local Muffler Man. I'm just saying.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the AWE might be pretty comparable to the Borla Touring in terms of volume. My wife can hear my truck start up in our bedroom which is on the opposite side of the house where I park.

My main gripe about the Borla is the fitment. The passenger side fits like crap so I opted for a warranty replacement because they said there was an issue with some Touring models, however the replacement isn't expected to be shipped until the end of the month and there is no guarantee the fitment of the new one will be on par since it doesn't have the adjustability of the AWE. I have the option for a refund, so I'm so torn on what I want to do. Just don't want to end up with a super loud exhaust. However, the touring is pretty loud and can definitely hear it in the cab at all rpms. Not terribly loud unless you floor it.
If I were you I'd take the refund and get the AWE. There is so much adjustability with it that it tops any other exhaust and the tips are much higher quality than the borla's. Like I said you really only hear it when you stomp on it. I'm actually surprised how quiet it is otherwise since it is a performance exhaust. There is Zero drone, zero resonance in the cab, and next to zero cab "noise" on the highway at cruising speeds.

Coming from the ATAK I was really nervous to get another performance exhaust and get the same results of being too damn loud. I'm not knocking it because I did like the sound very much but it was just too much. It seems like the Borla's all have a very similar volume, just different tone.

If you are really that worried, borla makes a resonator (I had that too on my exhaust but didn't make too much of a difference in total volume. It did tone the cabin noise down a bit but still had that constant noise.) You could get that for around $200 if you decide to try your touring out. The adjustability really sold me on the AWE.

Klicht87

Reaction score
No matter what exhaust we put on our trucks, there will be that annoying resonant frequency. My advice is do the research and get a custom J-Pipe put on to counteract the resonance. That's what we "hear". It's a drone frequency vibration. Inside the cab, anyway. Mine was night and day difference after the J-Pipe install. It cost me $100 at a local Muffler Man. I'm just saying.
I'm sure this is "needed" for most systems but coming from different trucks and different systems, the AWE produces zero annoying resonant frequency/noise.

RamLink83

Reaction score
If I were you I'd take the refund and get the AWE. There is so much adjustability with it that it tops any other exhaust and the tips are much higher quality than the borla's. Like I said you really only hear it when you stomp on it. I'm actually surprised how quiet it is otherwise since it is a performance exhaust. There is Zero drone, zero resonance in the cab, and next to zero cab "noise" on the highway at cruising speeds.

Coming from the ATAK I was really nervous to get another performance exhaust and get the same results of being too damn loud. I'm not knocking it because I did like the sound very much but it was just too much. It seems like the Borla's all have a very similar volume, just different tone.

If you are really that worried, borla makes a resonator (I had that too on my exhaust but didn't make too much of a difference in total volume. It did tone the cabin noise down a bit but still had that constant noise.) You could get that for around $200 if you decide to try your touring out. The adjustability really sold me on the AWE.
I just pulled the trigger on the AWE and will be returning the Borla. Big props to borla with their customer service. If I ever need it, hope AWE has just as good service.

Hopefully I'm not disappointed in the sound, but don't think I will. Main concern was it being too loud for my wife, but when discussing it with her, she said she thought the touring was going to be louder. So I think I'll be ok.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mild drone around the 1600 rpm range, but nothing too bad... as in you can hold a normal conversation. No drone at all at highway speeds.

Current setup: Solo Performance muffler delete, B2 Fab 5" tips, kept the rear stock resonators, truck did not come with the forward resonator, 3.92 rear.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Borla ATAK 3.92 Gears, 2020 Built to Serve, no forward resonator from factory. ZERO, drone at any RPM. If I didn't have the eco light turned on, I would have to completely turn radio off to notice any difference in exhaust with MDS, and even then I have to be really listening.

Not sure what noise Klitch87 is talking about. You can hear the exhaust when cruising, but it's not loud, and stereo easily drowns it out, and can still comfortably carry on a conversation without the need to raise your voice. Doesn't even bother my wife who is very critical of exhausts I've had in other vehicles. Hit the loud pedal and it's definitely loud outside, but still not bad inside the cab unless windows are down and rear slider open. I was actually expecting it to be louder considering it's considered the loudest full bolt on system available.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Borla ATAK 3.92 Gears, 2020 Built to Serve, no forward resonator from factory. ZERO, drone at any RPM. If I didn't have the eco light turned on, I would have to completely turn radio off to notice any difference in exhaust with MDS, and even then I have to be really listening.

Not sure what noise Klitch87 is talking about. You can hear the exhaust when cruising, but it's not loud, and stereo easily drowns it out, and can still comfortably carry on a conversation without the need to raise your voice. Doesn't even bother my wife who is very critical of exhausts I've had in other vehicles. Hit the loud pedal and it's definitely loud outside, but still not bad inside the cab unless windows are down and rear slider open. I was actually expecting it to be louder considering it's considered the loudest full bolt on system available.
The noise while cruising was just the sound of the exhaust. But to me it was just annoying at the volume it was at. I'm not saying it was loud and yes the radio did drown it out a bit but it was just too much for me. Exhaust is very subjective and even though a lot of people loved the borla systems, they just weren't for me.

Moparluver

Reaction score
Custom J-Pipe is the way to go. I did a 37.5'' 2.25'' pipe. I had a horrible drone between 1500 and 1700 RPM (108Hz). I used the Helmholtz calculator to figure out the best length of J-Pipe. Mine worked out pretty well, for the most part. It drastically reduced drone frequency noise.
I've been looking into this. What exhaust temp did you use to calc the length? 240 degrees? How did you arrive at that?
I was figuring that it would be closer to 400 degrees which makes the length 42.5"

Users who are viewing this thread