5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At what RPM does your aftermarket exhaust drone?

U

User_63152

I've been looking into this. What exhaust temp did you use to calc the length? 240 degrees? How did you arrive at that?
I was figuring that it would be closer to 400 degrees which makes the length 42.5"
I suppose I guessed on the temp. I could probably go back and get it extended, but, it sounds ok to me. So, I am not going to worry about it. I am happy with about 85-90 percent reduction in the drone.

Now, I'll have a complex, the more I think about it. Thanks! :ROFLMAO:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just installed the AWE 0FG from the Borla ATAK. The AWE has absolutely zero drone at any speed, any acceleration and, just like the factory exhaust, can't even tell when MDS kicks in. Also, I have the 3.92 gears. Someone commented earlier up that they were shocked the Borla ATAK has no drone. It's true, it doesn't have any drone but it does have in cabin noise. People should understand the difference between noise and drone. My previous 2018 Silverado had terrible drone when MDS kicked in.

Are you willing to share some outside cold/hot start, and in cabin videos? I'm super interested and was originally going to go with Borla Touring but now after reading this I'm not so sure.

Klicht87

Reaction score
Are you willing to share some outside cold/hot start, and in cabin videos? I'm super interested and was originally going to go with Borla Touring but now after reading this I'm not so sure.
I have a crappy Iphone that probably won't provide the best video. Check out hammerdownmotorsports video on youtube.

Moparluver

Reaction score
I suppose I guessed on the temp. I could probably go back and get it extended, but, it sounds ok to me. So, I am not going to worry about it. I am happy with about 85-90 percent reduction in the drone.

Now, I'll have a complex, the more I think about it. Thanks! :ROFLMAO:

Didn't mean to give you a complex! Besides, I'd bet that the dampening effect spans a range of frequency.. I can't figure out how wide that band is, or what influences it, but I know my drone comes on about 1500-1700 RPM which is about 92-120 Hz. I was shooting for a center of about 105 Hz and hoping that it impacts nearby frequencies. @300 degree exhaust temp, that would be 39.5" long.

U

User_63152

Didn't mean to give you a complex! Besides, I'd bet that the dampening effect spans a range of frequency.. I can't figure out how wide that band is, or what influences it, but I know my drone comes on about 1500-1700 RPM which is about 92-120 Hz. I was shooting for a center of about 105 Hz and hoping that it impacts nearby frequencies. @300 degree exhaust temp, that would be 39.5" long.
There's an app I use that keeps the average dominant frequency. That's how I figured 108Hz (I suggest you have a passenger keep track of the reading, so you can keep your eyes on the road. Trust me ;)). For iPhone, it's called Spectrum. I can't remember the one I had for Android. I am pretty sure it doesn't have to be right on. I'm sure that helps, but it will still work, even if it's a little off. Mine does. (y)

silver billet

Reaction score
I have a crappy Iphone that probably won't provide the best video. Check out hammerdownmotorsports video on youtube.

Welp, listened to that install video and not doin that. The Borla touring is more what I'm after, just a tad more agressive than stock. Appreciate the tip to hammerdown video anyway though.

RamLink83

Reaction score
Welp, listened to that install video and not doin that. The Borla touring is more what I'm after, just a tad more agressive than stock. Appreciate the tip to hammerdown video anyway though.
I currently have the borla touring and it's more than a tad more aggressive than stock. Cold starts are pretty loud and you can really hear it in the cab under any acceleration. Slight rumble once you get to cruising speed. From what I gather all 3 of the borla are near the same loudness but differ in tone.

I'm actually switching to the AWE this weekend due to fitment issues with the borla. So we'll see how much louder it is.

silver billet

Reaction score
I currently have the borla touring and it's more than a tad more aggressive than stock. Cold starts are pretty loud and you can really hear it in the cab under any acceleration. Slight rumble once you get to cruising speed. From what I gather all 3 of the borla are near the same loudness but differ in tone.

I'm actually switching to the AWE this weekend due to fitment issues with the borla. So we'll see how much louder it is.

Not saying your wrong, but the videos don't really seem to show that it's all that loud?

RamLink83

Reaction score
Not saying your wrong, but the videos don't really seem to show that it's all that loud?

Try looking for videos for the 5th gen. That video is for the 4th gen and for some reason the touring is much quieter on them. That video is not accurate at all for the 5th gen in terms of sound. The Borla sounds really good, but you might be surprised on how loud it actually is. I'm only getting rid of mine because of a warranty defect and they can't get me a replacement for several weeks. On a side note, Borla has great customer service.

Here are twp that are a bit more accurate.

RamLink83

Reaction score

Removed my Borla Touring and installed the AWE 0FG exhaust today. Sounds pretty good. Mean growl at start up and then nice and deep at idle. Full throttle sounds pretty good. I was actually surprised the AWE is actually quieter than the Borla Touring, at least in the cabin. You can still tell its an aftermarket exhaust, but it's not as intrusive as the Borla. Maybe it's the 180 Technology the AWE has that keeps the noise at the rear of the truck, because it's pretty noticeable volume change walking from the rear to the front.

Just FYI for those that are thinking the Borla Touring is going to be quiet, because it's not. Borla does have a nice sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread